Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Egypt

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mubarak has stepped down. :d

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mubarak has stepped down. :d

Excellent stuff. Good to see it happen with so little bloodshed.
    Why now and what role have the military played in that?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    He stepped down and the military took over. I fail to see that as a good development...
    He stepped down and the military took over. I fail to see that as a good development...
    Yes... it's too early to be optimistic yet.

How is that not a good development? What do you expect to happen after a dictator is forced out? A transition to democratic elections in a week? The fact that military coups have been means for dictators to get into power in the past doesn't mean that this is what will happen in Egypt. But there is no other way of disposing a dictator. As long as they're in power, you can never have free and fair elections, as the likes of Mugabe have shown (and even then, he still lost yet didn't step down).
    It's not a good development until the military hand over to an elected Govt. Until then you have a dictator handing over to a military junta who may, or may not, be better.

Remember it's the military who has propped up his regime for the past 30 years.
    MoK wrote: »
    It's not a good development until the military hand over to an elected Govt. Until then you have a dictator handing over to a military junta who may, or may not, be better.

Remember it's the military who has propped up his regime for the past 30 years.

The military basically formed modern Egypt though. Mubarak spent a lot of time depoliticising them, so that they see themselves as a neutral political force serving Egypt rather than as a political force in their own right*. The attempts to deploy them to deal with the uprising failed for that reason, leaving them to be dealt with by the police and pro-Mubarak (hastily formed) militias. By the same token they showed a marked reluctance to actually move against him because that would involve them in politics.

From what I've seen of the Egyptian military my guess is that they'll be wanting to rid themselves of politics as soon as possible, though whether that'll be to a stable democractic system only time will tell.

* see what happened to Sadat for why Mubarak wanted an apolitical army
    I wouldn't disagree with any of that really.

The point I am trying to make is that it's premature to celebrate Mubarak standing down. Once there is a stable freely elected regime in place, nothing much will have changed in reality.
    Saudi Arabia's going to be the toughie. Then again, I thought Libya would be harder.