Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's your religion?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    'Lighthouses are more helpful than churches'

Lighthouse Church?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Namaste wrote: »

No thanks. :D

I find that religion doesn't quite fit my hedonistic lifestyle.
    Weekender Offender 
    That sounds a little "Wicker Man" to me
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    MoK wrote: »
    That sounds a little "Wicker Man" to me

:D

I've seen those lunatic Druids at Stonehenge on the Soltice. That aint for me.
    Weekender Offender 
    Christian - because sin can only be forgiven through Christ. :)
    So its ok to be a real bad person all your life as long as you repent at the end you can still get into heaven? don't seem very fair to me!
    Christian of a generally non-conformist tint.

Training for ordination with the Metropolitan Community Churches.
    Louisek wrote: »
    So its ok to be a real bad person all your life as long as you repent at the end you can still get into heaven? don't seem very fair to me!

In short, yes, because we have all sinned at one point in our lives. Everyone has fallen short of God's glory.

It's my belief that Christ took our due punishment upon the cross.

From my understanding God sees us in two ways:
    1) as sinners worthy of judgment and punishment.
    2) as righteous (only achievable through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ upon the cross).
    Jesus gave you your sins, and died to save you from those he gave to you.
    How did Jesus give me my sins?
    He apparently created everything, so he had to create sin too. Yes you can read between the lines and quote what you wish about sin being a path of choices, but he still had to have created the choices of sin for you to commit, or not commit them.
    If there was no such thing as sin, how could be know what purity was?
    what is be meant to be? we? he?
    If there was no such thing as sin, how could we know what purity was?
    I think you're going off the track a little bit. But you'd know what purity is anyway, because purity, as context in Buddhism, is cleansing the personality of oneself, since Buddhism doesn't say anything about sin, or sins of a deity.
    Everyone knows to an extent what sin is (as the Law of God is written on all of our hearts).

You know that it is wrong to take things that don't belong to you (theft). You know that it is wrong to kill someone for no reason. You know that it is wrong to treat your parents badly. You know that it is wrong to sleep with your friend's spouse. I could go on...

The thing is, that we are all guilty of sinning against a Holy God, so we are disconnected from Him. Due to God's righteousness, we must be holy, as He is Holy and because we are all sinners, a price had to be paid (hence the sufferings of Christ).
    We all know those, not because of a god, because of morals and social law, and just plain common decency and sense. The point still stands, if we're all sinners, god gave us those sins to sin. Since in order to get into heaven, you must repent. Therefore, our being is to sin. But Jesus died to remove those sins from us, but we are still sinners. So he died for nothing, for what he made us. It's illogical.
    user912 wrote: »
    Everyone knows to an extent what sin is (as the Law of God is written on all of our hearts).

You know that it is wrong to take things that don't belong to you (theft). You know that it is wrong to kill someone for no reason. You know that it is wrong to treat your parents badly. You know that it is wrong to sleep with your friend's spouse. I could go on...

The thing is, that we are all guilty of sinning against a Holy God, so we are disconnected from Him. Due to God's righteousness, we must be holy, as He is Holy and because we are all sinners, a price had to be paid (hence the sufferings of Christ).

I have said this before but this is what i do not understand and can't accept-

You can be a really evil person doing nothing but harm to people all your life but as long as you repent in your final hours you are on your way to a better place, how can that be right?

Like me you can try to live your life as a good caring person, always put others first, be tolerant of diffrent ways of life always look out for those who need a little help etc (all good christian traits i would have thought)

But because i do not worship every day and the fact that my lifestyle is seen as a sin i have been told in no uncertain terms that i am going to burn with all the other sinners, well thats just screwy!!!!
    Please don't feed the troll.
    I'm a sinner, saved by grace.

Being a Christian is more than just trying to be a good person (we call it walking in the Spirit) - being a Christian is about having faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross (as an atonement for sin). You must be born again. A person can't be born again and continue like they were before. Even if you were the most immoral person on earth, if before your death you repent (turn away and regret) and accept that Christ died and rose again so that you could be forgiven - you shall be saved from everlasting destruction.

The Lord has put eternity in our hearts.
    Even if you were the most immoral person on earth, if before your death you repent (turn away and regret) and accept that Christ died and rose again so that you could be forgiven - you shall be saved from everlasting destruction.

Not if you're a Catholic like me you won't.
    I'm a sinner, saved by grace.

Being a Christian is more than just trying to be a good person (we call it walking in the Spirit) - being a Christian is about having faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross (as an atonement for sin). You must be born again. A person can't be born again and continue like they were before. Even if you were the most immoral person on earth, if before your death you repent (turn away and regret) and accept that Christ died and rose again so that you could be forgiven - you shall be saved from everlasting destruction.

The Lord has put eternity in our hearts.

You should be a politician, you have a natural talent for not answering a question !
    Louisek wrote: »
    You should be a politician, you have a natural talent for not answering a question !

It's a zealot thing. Why answer a question when you can preach?

I wonder if he knows how magnets work? :chin:
    Louisek: How did I not answer the question?

Thunderstruck: Praise God for the reformation. I was raised a Roman Catholic, but after the Lord changed my heart - I finally found Christ. As much as the Roman Catholic church wants to pretend, salvation is not through any organisation or sacraments or priest - the Scriptures clearly say "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." - Ephesians 2: 8-9.
    "Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death." - Exodus 35: 2

The local priest works on the seventh day. Oops
    I finally found Christ

If YOU found Christ, then he couldn't have known you were missing.

So ... did YOU find HIM or did HE find YOU?
    Went to Cambodia recently, and experienced a bit of Buddhism.

They had some strange customs...

20110206155.jpg

And some beautiful buildings...

20110205067.jpg

But at the end of it all, I couldn't help thinking it's fundamentally the same idea...

20110206131.jpg
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    We all know those, not because of a god, because of morals and social law, and just plain common decency and sense. The point still stands, if we're all sinners, god gave us those sins to sin.

But where does "plain common decency" come from? Our equivalents in the animal kingdom don't share the same morals- they frequently mate with their young, or eat their young, or kill each other. What makes us different?

God gave us free will, he gave us the choice to follow His path and he gave us the choice to follow another path. What we do with our free will is a matter for us and for God.
    LouiseK wrote:
    You can be a really evil person doing nothing but harm to people all your life but as long as you repent in your final hours you are on your way to a better place, how can that be right?

Like me you can try to live your life as a good caring person, always put others first, be tolerant of diffrent ways of life always look out for those who need a little help etc (all good christian traits i would have thought)

But because i do not worship every day and the fact that my lifestyle is seen as a sin i have been told in no uncertain terms that i am going to burn with all the other sinners, well thats just screwy!!!!

Firstly, why do you care? If you don't believe in God why do you care what Christian teaching says will happen to you? If He doesn't exist then it won't happen, surely?

As for the rest of your post, I'm not sure what you're trying to argue.

If someone has badly behaved all their life and repents on their deathbed, the Lord will still judge whether their penance is genuine or not. If they feel genuine sorrow and remorse at what they've done, and willingly return to God, then He will welcome them with open arms. He is willing to forgive our sins and our mistakes, big or small, if we genuinely appreciate what we have done and genuinely want to return to His family. If you don't want to return to His family then you won't be welcomed into His family.

Jesus taught us, however, our actions are far more important than our piety. His parable of the Good Samaritan shows that more than anything, bearing in mind who left the dying man in the road and what the Jewish opinion of the Samaritan people was. If we hold God in our hearts and worship him we will be admitted into His Kingdom, and the most important part of that is how we act towards the lowliest people of all. But if you don't hold Him in your heart then you won't be admitted.

People who do not believe in God will be permanently separated from Him and His Kingdom. Makes sense, surely?
    But where does "plain common decency" come from? Our equivalents in the animal kingdom don't share the same morals- they frequently mate with their young, or eat their young, or kill each other. What makes us different?

Most child abuse happens in the family and people kill each other all the time. So that's two out of three of your animal lack of morals that are shared by humans. And I did once see an interview with a tribe who would kill and eat humans as revenge. So that's three for three.

But which animals do you imagine mate with their young? Practically every animal (mammal, certainly) has an instinct against that, because it risks genetic defects. Practically every mammal also has an instinct against cannibalism too, because it risks disease. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen when things get extremely desperate.

But of course all of this is somewhat irrelevant, because even if non of this scientific evidence existed, the idea that we don't know the answer, therefore you can just make up whatever you want is ludicrous. If science doesn't know, then religion certainly doesn't.
    Firstly, why do you care? If you don't believe in God why do you care what Christian teaching says will happen to you?

Personally, I have no issue with what Christian teaching claims in the sense that it's not true. However, I'll still point out when something is held up as an example of morality (which Christianity, God and the Bible frequently are) when it fails at even the most basic points. The idea that Hitler could get into heaven, yet Einstein could end up with an eternity of suffering, based purely on their willingness to grovel to an omnipotent dictator, is about as far away from morality as it's possible to be.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. Humans do do all those behaviours, but they are very definitely not socially or morally acceptable to the community. The human herd will ostracise anyone revealed to be a murderer or a child sex abuser or whatever. You don't generally see that in the animal kingdom.

Beyond that, we're getting into the tiresome and tedious debate about whether religious people are right or whether atheists are right, which never ends well. You always end up with some ignorant shit-for-brains wheeling in with some gash about Pastafarianism.

I know what I believe. You know what you believe. Richard Dawkins hasn't convinced me that I'm wrong so I doubt any of his deluded followers will.