Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Driving instructors making students pay for damage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My brother is currently learning to drive (his test tomorrow so hopefully he passes), and he's had this instructor for a while who is frankly a cunt. Tells him hes stupid, yells (despite knowing my brother has a learning disorder) and has now told my brother he'll have to pay for any damages because he's left the driving school and is now independant. If my brother doesn't pass tomorrow he's going to change instructors anyway but I was just wondering if they're allowed to do this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope, that's what he has insurance for.
    That's what I said to my brother, he's just trying to take advantage because my brothers a bit vulnerable. He told him he'll be a laughing stock when he takes his test and now he's all worked up. If he hadn't left the school I'd be complaining about him. :mad: :mad:
    Sounds like a complete cock, sooner your brother leaves him the better
    Isn't there a professional body they have to belong to?
    I'm begining to wonder wether he's properly qualified at all, but aparrantly he left the school because they weren't giving him many students (wonder why). Though it's a very reputable local driving school so I'm guessing he's got all the qualifications and what. Anyway, hopefully he'll pass and if not he's just rebooking it and getting a new one.
    He's still using this instructor because???

I mean they're not exactly rare, why doesn't he just change to another one if he doesn't pass his test?
    i found this - "

During your driving lessons, it is important that you feel safe in the car as you need all of your concentration on what is going on around you to make sound judgement and if your mind is pre-occupied with other things, then you will not be able to react quickly to dangers. However there are times when disgraceful driving instructors will try to hit on you. In most cases it is a male driving instructor trying to flirt with a female learner. Women instructors tend to be more professional towards their job and cases where women instructors have tried flirting with a male student are really rare.

You should know that it is against the Code of Practice for an Approved Driving Instructor to misbehave with his/her pupil. Driving instructors are supposed to teach you how to drive and not harass you in any way. So if you feel your teacher is behaving in a non-appropriate way with you or not giving you any respect or consideration, then you need to make a complaint against that driving instructor.

All approved driving instructors have a pink or green badge which should be clearly visible on the car's windshield when they are teaching. The badge is a proof of their license as a driving instructor and without it they cannot demand payment for the driving lessons. If they try to act clever and increase the fees for the driving lessons every now and then without any valid justification, you can report them for that too.

First thing you need to do is warn the driving instructor that you are not happy about what is going on or complain to the driving school for which he/she works for. If the outcome is not satisfactory, then you can approach the Driving Standards Agency Registrar of Approved Driving Instructors and use either the full name of the instructor or their ADI number to report them. Be clear and concise when you are speaking to the representative of the DSA and tell them exactly why you are willing to make a complaint as this will enable them to lodge an investigation against the instructor. The latter may be suspended or have their license taken away if found guilty and you may even get a compensation as well depending upon the circumstances.

Remember if your driving instructor is abusing their power as a tutor in any other way not mentioned here and taking advantage of you, report them straight away. The sooner you do that, the better!
    Below is the contact info (address & telephone number) which you need to make a complaint about a driving instructor:

The ADI Registrar
    Driving Standards Agency
    Stanley House
    56 Talbot Street
    Nottingham
    NG1 5GU

Tel: 0115 901 2500 "
    Yup, DSA are also very good with complaints from my experience, my sister is a driving instructor and agrees that he can't charge for damages, he has insurance for that. Also as an instructor the responsibility relies on him, he is suppose to have duel controls and should be able to take control of the vehicle at anytime.
    did he pass?
    no he didn't

We've been telling him for ages to change but by the time he mentioned anything to us it was close to his test (he was meant to have one in december which got cancelled because of the snow), so he figured he may aswell stick it out as he was used to driving that car. But will mention reporting him, prob best to get our dad to do it because my brother can't really do that kind of stuff. Thanks :)
    well if he wants to be abused and pay for it, then let him i guess, but if i were you, id report that guy
    He needs to change, will help his confidence if nothing else.
    well if he wants to be abused and pay for it, then let him i guess, but if i were you, id report that guy

hes got aspergers so because this guys wrecking his confidence he assumes thats just how it is and that he doesn't deserve better (we do tell him otherwise), plus he got used to the car and was reluctant to change. He has a very black and white way of looking at things. I've just spoken to my dad and he should hopefully be going with the guy I went with so all should be good soon.