Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Joy of Teen Sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Really surprised there hasn't been any sort of discussion on this yet. I haven't watched the most recent episode but have seen the previous ones...

How did this show even make it on to our TVs?

Crazy stats, misleading info and a massive emphasis placed on sexual positions over relationships etc. I could go on and on, but it is something that I've ranted about a lot already and don't have much left!

Anyone seen it, what are you views?

I haven't been into a school to teach sex ed since it has been on TV, but I bet when I go in next week I'll hear "but I saw it on the Joy of Teen Sex!" or something along those lines....

Not happy.

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Why cant teens enjoy sex tips without preachy shit about relationships? You don't need to be in a relationship to have good sex.

As long as it doesn't promote sex that may increase the risks of STI's then I don't see a problem.

*I havn't seen the program so i can only reply to what you've posted*
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Why cant teens enjoy sex tips without preachy shit about relationships? You don't need to be in a relationship to have good sex.

I'm not saying they should have included "preachy shit about relationships". I used the term loosely, and think that instead things like communication, trust, confidence need to have at least been mentioned a little bit more. But *shrugs*, that is just my opinion.
    As long as it doesn't promote sex that may increase the risks of STI's then I don't see a problem.

Ha, well they did have a girl who was having unprotected sex with multiple partners, and she got the implant but there was no mention of the need for condoms for protection against STIs IIRC.

And actually, I have a problem with them presenting sex in a way that could make teenagers think that only one thing is normal. For example, when talking about anal sex, none of the staff (?) mentioned that actually it is OK not to want/like having anal sex.

And also the statistic at the start of the show saying that by the age of 16, the average teenager has had 3 sexual partners. How could this make some people feel?
    I'm not saying they should have included "preachy shit about relationships". I used the term loosely, and think that instead things like communication, trust, confidence need to have at least been mentioned a little bit more. But *shrugs*, that is just my opinion.

Worth a mention but those things certainly arn't requirements. I've had sex with people I don't trust and hardly talked to. Was still good sex though. Isn't the title The Joy Of Teen Sex?
    Ha, well they did have a girl who was having unprotected sex with multiple partners, and she got the implant but there was no mention of the need for condoms for protection against STIs IIRC.

Well it's hardly promotion of irresposible sex, but I agree they should any responsible broadcaster shoudl make sure that when disucssing any risky activity (which sex can be) then that risk should be mentioned.
    And actually, I have a problem with them presenting sex in a way that could make teenagers think that only one thing is normal. For example, when talking about anal sex, none of the staff (?) mentioned that actually it is OK not to want/like having anal sex.

I agree with that. A program for teens about sex should emphises that fact that whatever you feel uncomfortable doing is not normal sex.

And also the statistic at the start of the show saying that by the age of 16, the average teenager has had 3 sexual partners. How could this make some people feel?
    [/QUOTE]

If it's true then lets not fuck about.
    Weekender Offender 
    I only watched part of the first episode because I knew the girl who was on it... It made me laugh how made up it was :')
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I've watched them all. It's all sex positions and how to have better sex, whilst also making one feel inadequate - at the start of each episode it talks about how by 16, the majority of teenagers have had sex with at least 5 different people! Glad someone got all of my lot, then. It's all sensationlist I find, along with the majority of C4.

Tbf, it does talk about having better sex, so I never thought of the irresponsibility that much!

Crazy stats, misleading info and a massive emphasis placed on sexual positions over relationships etc. I could go on and on, but it is something that I've ranted about a lot already and don't have much left

I haven't seen it... but I'm 13, I've had sex with 4 (maybe 5, can't remember) guys. No matter how much someone is going to preach at me about being in a stable relationship, or how many times I'm told I'm a slag etc, I don't care. I think, so long as people are happy with what they are doing and who they are doing it with... then it's all good. I just don't see why it isn't "social acceptable" for teenagers to have sex with people they aren't in a relationship with, when it'd be fine for adults. So long as the person is comfortable with it, what's the problem? /rant over.
    Yea i agree about the not being in a relationship thing. Sex can still be great and fulfilling with someone you're not in a relationship with.

But what yellowseahorse said about confidence, trust, all that kind of thing, that its ok to say no and that you're not a freak its you havent had sex with x amount of people by the time you're x age. I think thats the biggest problem with teenager tbh, as well as pregnancy and STI risk
    Guys I agree with you about not necessarily being in relationships!

I just felt that some of these problems could have been addressed better, as there were young people coming forward with problems/queries and they were being answered with sex positions and sex toys.

And as for the stat - as far as I'm aware, and from what I've read on the net - it is not what most research has found.
    I watched the first episode, which had the guy who wouldn't go down on his girlfriend because he doesn't like the look/smell/feel of a vagina. But he's fine with fingering and fucking her. They basically just made him feel uncomfortable, took the piss and made him seem like a freak for not liking pussy. Never watched after that.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I watched the first episode, which had the guy who wouldn't go down on his girlfriend because he doesn't like the look/smell/feel of a vagina. But he's fine with fingering and fucking her. They basically just made him feel uncomfortable, took the piss and made him seem like a freak for not liking pussy. Never watched after that.

And they tried to solve it by him helping make a plastercast of her vagina?
    This show sounds like a load of shite.
    Weekender Offender 
    I just don't see why it isn't "social acceptable" for teenagers to have sex with people they aren't in a relationship with, when it'd be fine for adults. So long as the person is comfortable with it, what's the problem? /rant over.

i think its mainly because teenagers are generally perceived as quite vulnerable to a whole heap of stuff, drugs, STIs, bad influences, mean people, predators, whereas adults are perceived as experienced/mature enough to make decisions. Some Teenagers need protecting from themselves really, but society seems to forget that knowledge comes from making mistakes and sometimes the balance is wrong in addressing it, ie alienating teenagers at times instead of helping them.
    I watched one where an 18 year old girl tought that a really big penis would touch your stomach!? I find that hard to believe, we had hardly any sex ed but at 11/12 I knew my own basic anatomy and that not much apart from fluid is getting past my cervix (with the exception of a baby). I also knew about contraception and STIs. I never felt the pressure to be a sex kitten or perfect in bed. I've never done anal (after trying and hating it) or let a guy cum on my face/in my mouth. Maybe that's because I was in a stable relationship when I lost my v and was my only partner for a few years. But that's because I knew that was how I wanted it. None of my friends have ever mentioned this pressure either. I haven't felt it when having casual sex while I've been single either. I just let them know the boundaries and they're fine. I dunno, maybe we were an exception of headstrong teenagers who just did it when they were happy to, but I don't think teenagers are as naive as they're made out to be. However, the examples you see on Jezza Kyle suggest otherwise, but I don't think that represents most teenagers.
    i think its mainly because teenagers are generally perceived as quite vulnerable to a whole heap of stuff, drugs, STIs, bad influences, mean people, predators, whereas adults are perceived as experienced/mature enough to make decisions.

Adults can only become more experienced/mature with experience. That experience comes while you are a teenager.
    We have SO much education on safe sex etc, it just gets boring and we lose interest. I think the majority of us know the dangers of drugs, STI's and the man in the black van with sweets... we aren't as stupid as people would like to think.
    im 20 so didn't watch it , thought it would be a bit young for me.. i think having sex before 16 is far too young, you aren't responsible enough, when i got to about 17/ 18 i knew i was ready to have sex just took me a while to find a decent guy to have sex with , and waiting a bit longer shouldn't be fround upon.. age is just a number after all isn't it?
    i think having sex before 16 is far too young

Why? If under 16's are ready, and they are safe, what's the problem?
    Adults can only become more experienced/mature with experience. That experience comes while you are a teenager.
    We have SO much education on safe sex etc, it just gets boring and we lose interest. I think the majority of us know the dangers of drugs, STI's and the man in the black van with sweets... we aren't as stupid as people would like to think.

which is what i said in the rest of my post - that there needs to be balance between protection and mistakes. the 16 legal age is there for a reason - that that is the age that teenagers are deemed life experienced, mature enough and emotionally ready enough to be able to handle sexual relationships which can have serious consequences. there will alweays be exceptions to the rule on both sides.

you BA feel that you were ready from what most people consider very young to get involved with sex. in 10years time you may feel differently about that choice or you may not Your choice, fair enough. Yet there are times when you talk about things on the boards that prove that you still have much growing up emotionally and psychologically to do and although you are quite knowledgeable you can't assume all teenagers are the same. i've been in schools were 98% of the kids are muslim. subsequently alot of them are quite ignorant about sex, drugs and paedophiles as it isn't talked about except in the context of 'dont do it'.

teenagers can be vulnerable for a variety of reasons, i lost my virginity closer to 17 than sixteen and looking back it was a bad choice fueled by my underpinning desire to have someone love me due to negative childhood experiences, somebody, anybody. i was made vulnerable from my past experiences and i was 25 before i realised this. bad choices can be made at any age, but hindsight is a wonderful thing, most teenagers do think they are ready, at the time -some are happy with that choice, some regret it.

If a teenager makes a well informed choice to have sex, knows how to protect themselves properly and understands the risks and is prepared to deal with them if they arise, and is not going to find it emotionally difficult then fair enough, then sex can be enjoyed as it is ment to be, with whomever and how many people they choose. but lets not forget why the law is there in the first instance - as a way of protecting under 16s.
    i think having sex before 16 is far too young, you aren't responsible enough

And turning 16 automatically turns you into a mature and responsible adult? It doesn't work like that. Maturity is individual and fluid and what is right for one person isn't right for others. I lost my virginity at 15 and while it wasn't the best decision I ever made, it wasn't because I wasn't ready for sex. Making blanket judgements just doesn't work for things like this.
    Ah, the sacrosanct act of teen sex! An act whose gravity is so immense it can't be undertaken unless the participants are literally shaking with fear at enormity of what is about to happen. And only ever to be performed in conjunction with a loving and stable relationship and someone who respects you deeply!
    I watched one and thought it pretty fucked up, the statistics were really crazy and contradict other statistics that I've seen elsewhere. It makes group sex and sex drugs seem like the norm and that you should do everything really adventurous. I think it could be quite damaging for teenagers to watch this show.
    you BA feel that you were ready from what most people consider very young to get involved with sex.

I wasn't ready, I was raped.

Anyway, watching the joy of teen sex now... tis quite good

Edit - what about it do you think is good?
    I wasn't ready, I was raped.

i've read your story and i am aware of this. noone is denying that that is a horrible thing to happen. however you have had sex with by your own admission more than one person since that horrible thing out of choice. therefore you must think you are ready now. I know you were doing it at 12 too. like i said your body your choice - it is considered young though.
    I am ready now yea, but if I hadn't been raped I don't think I would of been ready for a long time, it changed who I was completly. I'm not in the mood to get into this now though, think what you like about me and other teenagers.
    Edit - what about it do you think is good?

I just like the fact people are willing to give that kind of advice to young people, normally all we get is "shouldn't be having sex at your age" or "use a condom"
    think what you like about me and other teenagers.

i don't think anything about teenagers apart from they are vulnerable at times, and that is why the law is sixteen- in order to help protect them, because some need it. you seem to be taking my posts completely the wrong way, and just picking out the parts that you can interpret as anti-teenager.
    No, I'm not at all... I don't do that. I was simply saying, think what you like. I know a lot of vulnerable adults too, and really it doesn't matter what the law is, sexual abuse/STI's/Unwanted pregnancy will still happen amongst people of all ages
    I just like the fact people are willing to give that kind of advice to young people, normally all we get is "shouldn't be having sex at your age" or "use a condom"

What about if the advice is wrong?

But let's ne honest, shows like these don't care if the advice is right or wrong. Especially regarding teenage sex, right advice is boring, kids won't watch it. Low ratings, make it exotic, tell them all the shit is normal and being scared of a vagina is wrong etc etc. Kids will watch and they'll get ratings

They don't care if the advice is wrong. They care about money and ratings.
    The show sounds a disgrace to me.

We get all the normal advice at school anyway, I think it's good to have a show where teenagers don't have to feel embarrassed about things and can ask what they like. We can't do that in school, because they'll ring our parents and tell them we are having under age sex.