Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car Trouble (Loss of power)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today i went to drive away from work and do my 8 mile journey to my next job and i pulled away in 1st gear(everything ok) and when i put it in 2nd and started to slowly accelerate like i usually would there was no power, or not the usual power.

I could put my foot to the floor and it would not speed up quickly, it slowly increased in speed, the same for changing to 3rd gear and fourth gear, the speed is taking a long to to increase and pushing harder on the gas doesn't make it go faster in comparison to pushing just a little on the gas???

I'm at a loss what could be wrong, i know i should see a garage but does anyone know what could possible be wrong here? best case and worse case scenario so the garage dont try and rip me off?

This problem continued throughout my 8 mile journey, a real issue when i pull away from lights at a less than usual speed and take too long to get to 30 :shocking:

I have a Renault Clio 2002 :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mine used to do this sometimes and a quick look under the bonnet showed that a pipe was loose, so the gas couldnt round the engine fast enough.

Now i have no idea what the parts are called so if i could see it i could probably tell you but thats no help here. Also mine is a very old car so probably different to yours. All i know is that theyre on top of the engine, usually rubber or something and about 6 -8 of them. Has a look see if anything is loose.
    Yes thank you Lexi99, thats sound advice, i will check to see if anything is loose, all i know about cars is how to check the water and oil levels so far, but checking for loose things is within my limit of capabilities :thumb:
    Our 2002 Clio did that, and I can't remember for the life of me what the problem was because my brother had it by then.

I will try and think and get back to you.

Does the engine sound like it's running normally?

I do know giving it a few longer runs and revving it massively in first at times helped with the problem. Garage fixed it properly in the end although he put up with it being intermittent for a while.
    Our 2002 Clio did that, and I can't remember for the life of me what the problem was because my brother had it by then.

I will try and think and get back to you.

Does the engine sound like it's running normally?

I do know giving it a few longer runs and revving it massively in first at times helped with the problem. Garage fixed it properly in the end although he put up with it being intermittent for a while.

Wow, thats a coinciedence, perhaps not unusual for the clio 2002 then? Its comferting to know.

That would be great if you could remember what it was? If its not too technical perhaps i could ask my OH's Brother to help me as he worked in a garage before?

Yes the engine sounds normal, theres nothing out of place as far as noises go, its just lost the power and crawls along much slower and very gradually builds speed???

I felt like i was taking the pi** everytime somebody let me go as i pulled away like a slug chasing a snail

I did have this problem in the snowy period in early December, it happened a couple of times but only in the morning and for no longer than 5 minutes so i put that down to the cold, unfortunately the problem did not go away... :(

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Lambda sensor.
    Weekender Offender