Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wanting to do courses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I am about to study understand health in march, and then hopefully doing the sort of course that i want to do in october as i am wanting to work with young people. I find open uni allright, but they never really do the courses that i want to do.

I have been wanting to study GCSES or a-levels for ages but cant do it at college as would lose benefits and would struggle to survive, and all the home ones require payment
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Sinead1992 :wave:
    Sounds like you are currently thinking through your study options which is great. What course are you hoping to do in October to help you work with young people?
    Have you thought about studying for your GCSEs in the evenings or around your other studies? There are lots of courses you can do whilst receiving benefits that are free. You don't mention which benefits you are receiving, but this article on direct.gov might help and show what free courses you are eligible for.
    LauraO
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    is there an adult education college near you.
    If youre on benefits you could still do part time courses as long as you were prepared to give them up should a job come up and you were still actively looking.
    You would also likely get your course subsidised, depending on what it was
    Providing you are still searching for full time work, and are prepared to abandon your course or change the hours if you find work, then your benefits will not be affected. It's easier to convince the DWP if you're taking evening classes or part time classes rather than full time classes. If you get a decent work adviser they will sometimes allow you to say you're unavailable for work for a few hours a week to study, as it will improve your long-term chances of getting employment. They usually won't allow full time study but they can be OK about part time study. And, as Suzy says, you'll get a discount if you're on benefits.

If you're wanting to study full time, speak to your college about what funding opportunities are available. There is sometimes help available for you to study, depending on the college. Your college's advice centre will be able to assist.
    If your under 20 then you can get help with childcare costs whilst you study i got a leaflet about it from my local sure start centre - i'm not sure if thats much help or not but i thought you might be due to your name.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    If your under 20 then you can get help with childcare costs whilst you study i got a leaflet about it from my local sure start centre - i'm not sure if thats much help or not but i thought you might be due to your name.

I am doing open uni at the moment but is not what i am wanting, i am hoping to do a better better home learning course if i can get a grant to pay for me, I have adult education programme in place where i live but none starting untill september, cant do part time courses as cant afford it.

Firsty i would not need childcare costs as i dont have a child as how does my name apply that i do

i tried to a college course and applied and got the place on a course that was 16 hours, and told the job centre i was willing to still look for work but could not do it as the college classesd it as full time which 16 hours is not
    sinead1992 wrote: »

Firsty i would not need childcare costs as i dont have a child as how does my name apply that i do

Sorry i meant that it would imply that you were under 20 not necessarily that you had children.
    could not do it as the college classesd it as full time which 16 hours is not

For education it is.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Sorry i meant that it would imply that you were under 20 not necessarily that you had children.

childcare costs are if you have children to help pay for thier nursery, and 16 IS NOT fulltime in edcuations espically if only 3 days, 30 hours+ is fulltime
    i tried to a college course and applied and got the place on a course that was 16 hours, and told the job centre i was willing to still look for work but could not do it as the college classesd it as full time which 16 hours is not
    They're assuming you'll need 14-20 hours' work outside those classes to keep up. 16 hours teaching is a 30-37 hour week.
    childcare costs are if you have children to help pay for thier nursery, and 16 IS NOT fulltime in edcuations espically if only 3 days, 30 hours+ is fulltime

16 hours IS full-time for education.