Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Calling, um, everyone! A special notice...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello boys and girls :).

First thing I will say is that I have already asked Helen for permission and because she is awesome she has said yes :D.

Basically, as some of you may know, my mother runs a charity called Greyhound Walks. It's doing pretty well, in it's fifth (Sixth? I forget!) year now, and the New Year's Day walk in Chelmsford had 207 greyhounds and lurchers walking around Hylands Park. Made it into the Essex Chronicle, which is HARD, you guys. For those of you who live in Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk or Hertfordshire, you can pop along to any of the official walks whether you have a greyhound or not (although no other breeds unless it's a GreyhoundPLUS walk, 's the rules, I don't make them, sorry :() to check out the breed and support the cause. All the money raised goes to needy greyhounds in the area, providing coats and beds and vet fees and all kinds of other awesome stuff for kennel dogs. Associated kennels bring along dogs that need rehoming and if you don't have a greyhound you can take one of the kennel dogs (or a GW organiser/helper's dog) for a 'Test Drive' to see if you like the breed and it's all pretty awesome. I'm really proud of my mummy, she started with just six dogs on her first walk and it's grown and grown and grown.

Anyway, last year they started doing an annual nation-wide walk, the Great British Greyhound Walk. The first one last June had over 1600 dogs walking across the country, which is superawesomecool, right? Well, this year we want to beat that. I know it's not likely that many of you own greyhounds or lurchers (except for yellowseahorse and Melian, afaik), but that doesn't mean you can't be awesome and support and maybe if you know people that DO have a houndy or a lurcher (or other sighthound, whippets and salukis are welcome too :)) you could pass on the good word. The more people we can make aware, the better! I would really love it if they could break the 2k mark this year and make more people aware of how lovely greyhounds are as pets. I love our two, they have such lovely personalities and they get on really well with our mutt and the two cats (whoever says greyhounds can't live with cats is lying, although obviously it's a problem, both of our two have been fine after they got whacked on the nose). They don't need a lot of exercise (2 x 20 minutes a day, although they can go for longer), they sleep all day and they're just lovely.

Thanks guys! PM me, email me (rawrimapanda@hotmail.co.uk), or use the contact bit on the website if you have any questions :heart:.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'll try and convince Tobz to go on one again ;) He probs won't need much convincing but the parents might do :p
    I'll try and convince Tobz to go on one again ;) He probs won't need much convincing but the parents might do :p
    You know Toby would love it :D.
    You know Toby would love it :D.

Haha - I'm sure he would! Although the other dogs may not appreciate his company ;)
    The other dogs put up with George on a regular basis, I'm sure they can deal with Toby ;).
    I have friends who would love this - thanks!

Incidentally, greyhounds are beautiful.
    piccolo wrote: »

Try seeing several dozen of them all walking together :yes:.
    Shameless bump to the top of the New Posts list :D.
    piccolo wrote: »

*cough* and Lurchers *cough*
    Le bump
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I could be crying and running out if I saw that many, I'm scared of only one of them the most.