Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Here, Can't Sleep and looking for distraction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I'm M****, 18 year old living alone for the first time away from home. I did suffer and deal with self harming when I was going through highschool, but its been maybe a year and a half since I've actually done anything. Though I still get urges every once in a while, I've been hard pressed to actually act on them. Between a heavy training schedule for a sport, and a girlfriend who knows (and actively checks most of the time..) about my self harming, it's hard to actually do the act and get away with it..

Anyways, ever since I stopped, well actually.. since I started, the main time I had difficulties was when I couldn't sleep. Such as now. When I'm stuck awake, and everyone I know is asleep, I just feel alone. Rightfully so I guess, but still, I feel that sleep offers the only chance of escape, but I just can't reach it. And that is when the trouble hits. Anyways, I don't want this to turn into a bio, or scare anybody off. But suffice it to say that I'm here because quite simply, it offers a seemingly decent outlet for my bad thoughts in the middle of the night :)

Anyways, hopefully I can fall asleep shortly, but here I am to say hi and introduce myself.

Thanks for listening,

M****

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the site and ...

that sucks. Heavy first posts.

I'm no therapist, but it seems like you could look at it all in another way. You seem upset about something you can't have, but aren't there some great advantages to being awake when everyone else is asleep. You have time without distractions. You can get more accomplished in a day. You're problem is just insomnia and not diabetes or cancer ...

Like I said, sucks, and I'm no therapist. Sounds like you got a few cool people around you who care about you and that's worth a lot more than words form a random stranger ...
  • Options
    welcome!!

insomnia sucks. I know how hard that is
  • Options
    That's really how it always seems to be. Like you can be fine through out the day but once night hits and you're ready to go to bed you're just stuck there in your own mind thinking about everything that's wrong and then those urges hit and it's hard to resist. The only thing I can think of suggesting is to either try and tire yourself out by bed or just get some OTC sleeping pills. Those are just temporary fixes though therapy would really help in the long run.
  • Options
    Welcome!
    Sounds like you're going through a very hard time. :( I'm sorry. I'm not sure what to say, but know I'm thinking about you, okay? Good luck with everything.
    Hope you have a good experience on TheSite.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Restless Insomniac,
    Welcome to the boards :wave:

Sorry to hear you are not sleeping well at the moment. We have lots of information on TheSite which maybe useful to you about insomnia, sleeping disorders and a few tips to help you sleep easy.

It might also be a good idea to head over to the main forums such as the Health and Wellbeing forum to read posts by others with the same issue, or you can write your own post so others can offer you advice - you'll be more likely to get more responses there.

Hope you enjoy your time here :)

LauraO
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

Here yet again hah trying to fall asleep but can't. Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Hey Restless!

First off: Welcome to the site!! :yippe:

Secondly: I completely understand what your going threw, I was once a self-harming individual. mostly at night as well. but seems like your off on the right foot. congrats.

Third of all: I am a insomniac too. I now work nights at a hospital so anytime I am up annytime, usually. so if you want a distraction, you can always look for me.

Good luck! :hyper: