Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Grimms tales

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have this quote from the preface to the second volume of the first edition of Kinder- und Hausmärchen:
These variants seem more remarkable to the editors than those who see in them merely changes or distortions of an original which once really existed, whereas, on the contrary, they may be attempts to attain in a manifold way an inexhaustible ideal which is present only in the imagination

And need help interpreting it. Are they saying basically that the changes and adaptations from previous versions of the fairytales is an attempt to use or utilise an ideal (i.e. the storyline, morals, messages etc) in various different ways but which is only present in the imagination? :eek2:

If anyone can help me i will be eternally grateful
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a headache now :(
    These variants seem more remarkable to the editors than those who see in them merely changes or distortions of an original which once really existed
    Whatever the variants are that they just mentioned are clearly more than just a way of spicing up a true story...
    whereas, on the contrary, they may be attempts to attain in a manifold way an inexhaustible ideal which is present only in the imagination
    ...they are focussed instead on a completely fictional, perhaps universal, ideal.

So, yes. What you said.

Is this translated from German? I have this issue with all the theology I have to read translated out of German, I think my brain is wired all wrong for it!
    Yea its translated from German but i didnt do it. I put:
    The Grimms note that ‘these variants... may be attempts to attain in a manifold way an inexhaustible ideal which is present only in the imagination’ (Giradot, 1977, p.276). It can be said here that the changes made to the existing fairytales in this edition may be attempts to reach, in various and diverse ways, an infinite and endless ideal which is only present in the reader’s imagination, the ‘ideal’ being an imaginative story that is accessible and appropriate for all readers, yet offers informative and practical morals and messages. This demonstrates that the Grimm’s were aware of the need to revise and update the already existing tales to suit the needs of the contemporary readers, and often altered the stories to meet these needs.

The bit in the bold is the main bit, does it make sense or have i missed the point completely?
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    The bit in the bold is the main bit, does it make sense or have i missed the point completely?
    Looks like a good paraphrase to me.
    Yay, thank you! Spent a few hours earlier re-reading it with a blank expression on my face.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Yay, thank you! Spent a few hours earlier re-reading it with a blank expression on my face.
    I hope I'm right! Good luck.