Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are you with Virgin BB?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
IS it me or is streaming with VM really poor? I have 20MB BB and half the time YouTube won't load and cannot download files more than 2MB or the connection drops.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just you? It depends on your area. And you have 20Mb, which is roughly 2MB. Your router might be broken? Your router might not handle loads of connections. Normally fine for me. Lots of factors can affect it so I can't say.
    My Virgin BB runs fine. Give 150 a call and ask them to check your connection. If it's fine, your likely your equipment.
    How far are you sitting away from the router? and how many people are using it?
    MY router is 1ft away and only one person using it... could be too close but I try and hide it a bit. Called VM and they guy told me it must be my computer lol
    We've got Virgin's ADSL broadband and I can't complain. It's not been down since we've had it and they've no download limits.
    Don't have it myself but a mate does and it seems to be unavailable almost as much as it is up. Just now it is expected to be down for 3 days. :eek2:
    Mist wrote: »
    Don't have it myself but a mate does and it seems to be unavailable almost as much as it is up. Just now it is expected to be down for 3 days. :eek2:

Perhaps its some maintenance thing? I have lost my connection possibly twice over the last year but other than that, it's pretty stable.
    I get the odd hitch, but its still better uptime than what I've ever had in comparison to BT/TalkTalk. Virgin gave us the 30Mb free upgrade too, but its not activated yet - though they're saying it is.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Virgin gave us the 30Mb free upgrade too, but its not activated yet - though they're saying it is.

How did you wangle that??? :)
    No haggling, it's a new plan they're offering. 30Mb will basically replace 20Mb because they're running out 100Mb this September (in my area anyway). They're also testing 200Mb (and were before 100Mb but they are releasing that first). They leaked the details accidentally on their website about the upgrade, you can read here about the upgrade to 30Mb but they're charging £30. We got a letter though saying we're getting it free for some unknown reason. If you phone them (googling it) people are saying VM reps are denying the free upgrade, but that's bull because I got it, so... it also applies to those on 10Mb too, £30 for 30Mb upgrade.

edit: To clarify this with Virgin I just phoned them up. I also read on the letter it says free super-hub too. So I spoke to the person at 150, they said no it's not free. It's not even on our account. So we called the number on the letter, spoke to them and it says clearly on the letter FREE upgrade to 30Mb, and FREE super-hub. Well the guy said no its not. It's £30 one off payment, plus £10 a month for us because of our plan. What the fuck? Why send us a letter saying its free when it clearly isn't. Explains why they haven't upgraded it yet.

There are people who are getting it free, but it seems they're being either selective, or whoever is managing has ballsed it up somewhere and are telling their reps different things. The letter says they've offered it to us for being a "long time customer, who upgraded to 20Mb".
    So after them saying last night with various phone calls, that it wasn't free. Guess who got it free? Just phoned up again today speaking to loads of different reps until one of them gave it to us free like they said. So win.
    Could be worse, could live in the south wales valleys where theres no virgin access, our broadband barely gets 1mb
    If it wasn't for the VM partner offer I am on I'd may go to Sky, though on demand would be hard to leave!
    Makoto wrote: »
    MY router is 1ft away and only one person using it...

Sure?
    Check your security make sure no one else is using it.
    Secondly make sure your signal is not set to "hidden" because that can cause it to drop frequently.