Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

money abroad, the best way

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I fly to America in 49 days *squee* and I'm taking tons of spending money with me, what is the best way to do this?

Travelers cheques? I've heard about pre paid holiday debit cards which don't charge fees, what are these like? Obviously ill take some cash too but just wondering if anyone had some suggestions,

cheers x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    me and my blokey are going away at the end of the month to thailand.

we have been told the exchange rate is much better over there so we are going to change half of our money over there when we arrive and take half traveller's cheques (we don't want to take it all in cash as we are taking ALOT of money so don't want to risk it incase we get mugged or something, lol). we are also taking a credit card incase we want/need to spend more.
    Yeah, ill be taking my credit card with me and think about :£450 cash but as I wondered if credit card is the best way to spend over there.
    well, we are only taking our credit card incase we spend all our money/traveller's cheques as we don't want to come home to a load of charges :)
    well, we are only taking our credit card incase we spend all our money/traveller's cheques as we don't want to come home to a load of charges :)

yeah, I'm gonna order my cash soon I think. Will check how the exchange rates are doing though.
    Nationwide used to do fee-free cash withdrawals, but they may have stopped doing it.
    Hey there,

Going abroad is always fun but all the small details are a bit tedious!

However, to save you time researching all your options, theMonySupermarket.com have written a Travel Money Guide. It's got 6 parts (remember to go to the next sections using the links at the end of each page!) and it covers things such as cash, traveller's cheques and pre-paid or credit cards.

If you are going to use any credit cards or pre paid cards just be sure to read the full terms and conditions to avoid any surprising charges; and if you do decide to take a large amount of cash with you, get adequate insurance to cover any losses.

Hope this helps and happy holidays!
    :)
    Cheers, got some cash, rate started to drop, the cash I got would've been $50 less if I had waited so great.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Cheers, got some cash, rate started to drop, the cash I got would've been $50 less if I had waited so great.
    I took an STA pre-paid debit card to the US and it was great.