Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Good college ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
The College of Law. Good college ?

One of my tinternet fuck buddies has just received an unconditional offer ( explain please :) ) to go there. Just wondered if that's good, super good or mega fun happy times sunshine good :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never heard of it, but that doesn't mean much.

Unconditional offer means that they are definitely offering him the place, and it's not dependent on him getting certain grades or other qualifications first. He could do sweet FA between now and starting the course and he'd still have the place.

Conditional offers on the other hand say we think you're the right person for the course, but you've got to do this to prove it to us first, where this is usually get certain grades in your A Levels.
    Thanks Scary :)
    As for whether it's any good or not, my efforts with google weren't forth coming. Except that it has some link with the OU. It doesn't appear to be up there on the top ten list, but there are very good places that aren't and law courses are very confusing so standard uni league tables don't often really work for them.
    I think I have a friend there. Law colleges are weird there are hundreds of them and they're generally not very well known.

But it means he'll get to train to be a lawyer and may, eventually, therefore (1) earn lots of money, or (2) do good things with legal aid and earn lots of Brownie points.

Win.
    Unless he's a final year undergraduate he'll get an unconditional offer. They don't seem to be all that fussy about who they let in, so long as they have a degree. It will be to do a vocational post-graduate law course, such as the Legal Practice Course (for solicitors) or Bar Vocational Course (for barristers).

I applied there to do the Legal Practice Course on a distance basis and they were pretty good at deferring my place when I lost my job. In the end I didn't go because the cost of the course was high and the job prospects were low, but they were quite tolerant.

Of course the LPC is ten grand, so that probably explains the tolerance.
    Except it's not because we're in the UK.

*headdesk*
    roffles :)

he's going into employment law, so i suppose that's tribunals and stuff or maybe prosecuting employers for being naughty, at a guess coz ive really no idea :D