Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

a decent curry recipe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
not too spicy and relatively easy, if anyone ahem.. RS.. knows any? i want to use chicken too!

i might have offered to cook a curry for my boyfriend on thursday and i might wanna impress him.. helps?

oo and lots of veg thrown in would be good, he is pretty health conscious

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is a really good one, it's fairly mild for my taste, but you can adjust the spices as you like. I usually add some carrots to the recipe and frozen spinach right at the end.
    Can I hijack this thread a bit and also ask if anyone has found a Indian recipe book that has managed to get close to the food they've eaten in India? A lot of the ones I've looked at feel like English bastardisations of Indian recipes. I've not managed to get close to the food I was eating in India!
    go_away wrote: »
    This is a really good one, it's fairly mild for my taste, but you can adjust the spices as you like. I usually add some carrots to the recipe and frozen spinach right at the end.

oh that looks good, i love sweet potato :) now i am pondering thai green curry but from a jar. sorry to be a wanker but let's all share curry recipes :D

cptcoathanger, how very dar you
    Pick up phone, order curry, wait for doorbell to ring.
    i keep suggesting takeaways to him, starting to think im giving him the impression that im a fatty or im just shit at cooking. heh..
    Not very good at curries, well not from scratch. Usually buy a jar of paste :D Patak's Tikka Masala. Not too hot but spicy, just the way i like it :)
    as far as i remember, that tastes pretty good with just plain ole chickpeas :)
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/laxmi+khurana/asha+naran/shelina+jetha/the+curry+book/3458039/ This book! Very authentic and covers almost every dish you will ever want to cook. Used to make meals from these recipes all the time as a student, the chicken vindaloo is amazing :love:
    Garam Masala
    chilli powder
    Chicken
    Potatoes
    Garlic
    Onion
    Sugar
    Milk
    Stock
    veggies of your choice
    and any extra spices of your choice

get those then i shall try and remember what to do

you might want to do this all in a big saucepan

fry off the diced/finely cut onion AND garlic
    whack in the spices garam masala and chilli powder and fry them off, dont overdo it or your nose will die, and your throat will explode upon tasting
    teaspoon of each maybe with a table spoon of garam masala

Once thats going nice you want to add your chicken into it and get it nice and well coated in the spices
    then mix a bit of cornflour into your liquid which will be 2/3 stock 1/3 milk
    (The milk cools it and adds a bit of thickness) you will want a fair bit of this since youll need to cover all your meat and veggies, and have more to keep them covered aswell
    add this to the pan with enough to cover the potatoes that your going to add
    add the potatoes and veggies
    leave to cook
    keep checking back on it to make sure its not getting to dry, add more of the liquid if it is

THen when its nearly done taste it, if its too spicy
    add some milk or sugar, it will cool it down

try it before then if you can
    i havnt made one in a while
    this is just from memory
    have fun
    here's the one i make: (serves about 3-4 depending how hungry you are)

spices- 1tsp of each
    *cumin
    *chilli powder (obv if you want it milder, adjust the amount you use)
    *fenugreek
    *tandoori curry powder (the red stuff)
    *mild/medium/hot curry powder (you can use homemade but i just use shop bought)
    *Turmeric
    *Salt & Pepper to taste

Fresh stuff-
    Coriander (about half a bunch but less if you dnt like it so much)
    Garlic (i use about 4 bits)
    Onion (1 or 2 depending how much you like it)
    Mushrooms (i usually use 5/6)
    4 x chicken breasts
    4 x medium/small potatoes
    7/8 tbsp natural yoghurt
    splash of milk to taste
    1 cup rice

Method-
    dice potatoes and par-boil (till tender). Dice chicken and cook in a bit of oil with chopped garlic and onion till cooked through. Chuck in all spices together and mix 'em about (you can add 1/2 tsp of chilli... taste and then add more) Throw in mushrooms and cook. Constantly stir so nothing sticks.
    Remove from the heat for a min and add the drained potatoes. Now add the yoghurt a bit at a time until you have the consistency you like. Taste it after you've mixed up the yoghurt and add the splash of mix if it's a bit tart. Cook the rice, and serve :)

Variations- you can use lamb or beef (yumm) and you can substitute the yoghurt for coconut milk. You can also add chopped tomatoes after browning the meat but make you sure adjust the amount of yoghurt/coconut milk accordingly.

Done!!! this can be really easily frozen and tastes even better the next day. It's quite an addictive taste!
    CCH: By random coincidence, I read a review of this in a newspaper in Cape Town the other day and it sounds like what you're after. I haven't been to India so can't vouch for it personally, but the review seemed pretty favourable in terms of it being quite authentic :)
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    CCH: By random coincidence, I read a review of this in a newspaper in Cape Town the other day and it sounds like what you're after. I haven't been to India so can't vouch for it personally, but the review seemed pretty favourable in terms of it being quite authentic :)

i was just thinking yesterday you havent posted for aaages! get back here lady! :)
    I bought this jar of Massaman curry paste of a Hippy dude at a market in Australia. Added cream, chicken, lots of potato's and various vegetables to it.
    Was proper lush, he had spent like a year in Asia and had found out the paste recipies from locals, making them up himself. So I'm guessing they taste pretty authentic. He said this one came from Pakistan.
    So yeah, not much help unless you find this Hippy in Australia, but google recipies for Massaman curry.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Make yourself a decent curry base as they do in the resturants and you can freeze it in seperate bags. That way you can experiment with different spices to create different curries everytime.

This is one will give a good idea (though I would use more tomatoes and add fresh corrianda).

http://menuinprogress.com/2008/01/indian-takeaway-curry-base-sauce.html
    Weekender Offender 
    Possibly too late for the OP, but for anyone else this is a curry I make:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1837906&highlight=curry#post1837906

You can add chicken if you want, though I don't see the point.