Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Romantic getaway

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Any places u guys or girls have been where its peaceful and scenic where we can go for walks and have cosy pub lunches? I need to find somewhere really nice for my hubbis 40th birthday (surprise prezzie)
Also he loves things to do with world war 2 and he loves guiness lol ( we have been ireland already ) Many thanks for the input x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    what about the lake district?

its lovely there.
  • Options
    I'd suggest either the North Lakes (Keswick, Caldbeck) or the Hope Valley.
  • Options
    If you want a WW2 link then east Kent is good because we have loads of defences left over and the War Caves used during Dunkirk evacuation.

If it's romance then I'd go to Lakes too
  • Options
    Probably a bit far afield but Munich / Bravaria - has loads of brilliant walking and beer in pubs and definate WW2 connections galore.
  • Options
    If you're thinking further afield, how about Hamburg?

You can't get much of a bigger link to WWII and the museums about the war are excellent. Michaeliskirche in particular is good, with the blackened spire that was all that was left of the church after Operation Gomorrah. The whole thing is dealt with so well in many of the museums.

If you go in spring or in autumn the Alster are lovely to sit by with a beer or a coffee, or to just walk around, the beer is wonderful and it's always an experience to go for a stroll down the Reeperbahn on a Saturday night (especially when Hamburg or St Pauli have played at home).

Of all the cities I've been to on city breaks, Hamburg is by far and away my favourite. The shopping is good, the beer is good, the food is good. The strippers are good. The people are so so friendly. It's just made of win.
  • Options
    Thankyou everyone this is brilliant, The lakes and hamburg sounds ideal.
    I'll let u all know what i end up doing many thanks again this has helped me alot x