Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help im getting to addicted

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Maybe this shouldnt be in here but i thought it might get more relevant responses in here
This week so far i have gotten drunk twice, without my parents knowing, and i have drank 3 nights in a row. On the 2 nights i got drunk i started cutting because my life aint going great right now. I mean i have an amazing best mate and an amazing bf who are there for me. but me and parents dont get on at all we argue all the time and maybe its just a teenage thing but it feels more than that like my dad in particular just doesnt care like he never has.
Im scared about whats happening to me. If im getting a 'drink problem' because i just feel that to get through any argument i need to drink or cut.
Can anyone give me any advice of how to get over this? xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It seems that you dont seem to cut because of the arguments, but because you have been drinking. I personally cant offer much more advice than use your will power and try to stay away from the drink as it is a depressant. Getting drunk rarely helps in these situations even if you think it might.

If you have the thought that a drink might help, then remember it is a depressant and may likely make things worse.

Try to get yourself out of the house and doing something (other than drinking) to keep yourself busy.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    If you have the thought that a drink might help, then remember it is a depressant and may likely make things worse.

The fact alcohol is classed as a has nothing to do with feeling emotionally depressed. Depressants slow and depress body functions such as heart rate and breathing, it does not mean they make you depressed. Some depressants are very useful for treating symptoms of depression.

Alcohol is not considered one of them and may indeed make you feel worse if your self medicating with it (not simply because it's a depressant though.

Looking4Help, you need to go and speak to your doctor about this. They'll be able to offer a number of ways in which you can improve you mood. Self medicating is definately not a good idea.
    Weekender Offender 
    I was cutting before but i do it more seriously when i got drunk.
    Ive tried using will power to get through this and it wasnt working, ive spoken to my teacher about this and its helped but i feel like i cant keep running to her cos i feel like i keep bugging her.
    She mentioned councelling but im scared about my parents finding out. x
    Hey, you know what she is like.

If you were bugging her she would happily turn around and tell you to piss off already :p

I know where your coming from though xx *hug*
    I was cutting before but i do it more seriously when i got drunk.
    Ive tried using will power to get through this and it wasnt working, ive spoken to my teacher about this and its helped but i feel like i cant keep running to her cos i feel like i keep bugging her.
    She mentioned councelling but im scared about my parents finding out. x

Would you prefer your parents finding out that you were getting help, or that you had serious problems that were getting worst.
    Honestly niether. but probably them finding out i was getting help. bu its my parents, they wont be happy about this..
    Try writing. Sounds trite but can really work. I have got myself out of some pretty dark holes but just writing it all out, it can really let off some steam and put you in a more managable position