Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

drunk and I don't trust myself

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well I had my last exam at school today so having a few drinks tonight but it's going too far! I broke down at school yesterday and now I feel like cutting it's getting too addictive! help! arghhhhhh

Comments

• Options
    Dont drink so much that you feel out of control.
  • Options
    alcohol is a depressent so drinking when you are down is going to make you feel worse. Try and keep yourself distracted as much as possible until you are tired enough to sleep and next time try not to drink too much so you don't feel even more down.
  • Options
    I though I could handle having a few drinks with friends without it affecting me! I was wrong I have cut myself and seem to be fighting the tiredness!
  • Options
    I though I could handle having a few drinks with friends without it affecting me! I was wrong I have cut myself and seem to be fighting the tiredness!

Drinking never solves any problems, love. If you're unstable the last thing you want to do is take away control. If you have a problem such as cutting you need to try and maintain as much control over yourself as you can, and drinking takes that away. Have you told your friends about your cutting? If you do they'll probably be able to help keep you from making bad choices such as drinking when you shouldn't be.

If you're drunk don't fight the tiredness, embrace it and find a decent place to sleep. Wouldn't want to pass out and hurt yourself.
  • Options
    I woke up this morning and realised I had cut myself but I just felt numb. I am still feeling so tired but I did get some sleep last night. My friends dont know anything either so I have to take control now but I know it will be very hard! Everything feels out of my control
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    alcohol is a depressent so drinking when you are down is going to make you feel worse.

Again. Alcohol is called a depressant because it slows down your CNS not because it makes you depressed. They're different things. Some depressants are used as treatment for depression.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Again. Alcohol is called a depressant because it slows down your CNS not because it makes you depressed. They're different things. Some depressants are used as treatment for depression.

in my experience when you feel like crap to start with alcohol is a no go area i've always been told (including by doctors) not to drink if i am feeling down because it is a depressant and it will make you feel worse. in the same way watching sad movies when you are depressed make you feel worse. CNS or not , it makes u feel shit and removes the ability to think clearly.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    i've always been told (including by doctors) not to drink if i am feeling down because it is a depressant and it will make you feel worse.

It's classed depressant because it can slow and depress your central nervous system. It's classification as a depressant has nothing to do with feeling emotionally depressed. I would see a better doctor.

Some depressants are very useful at treating the symptoms of depression. They can be used to help people sleep, to reduce stress and anxiety and to boost mood and sociability. Infact many people say they work better than SSRI's - which as of yet are really not prooven to be much much better than placebo.

You are right that drinking alcohol and getting steaming is probably not a good idea if you're struggling with depression, though I think it's fine if your just feeling a bit crap and want to let your heair down.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi hidingbehindasmile,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling low and like things are out of control at the moment *hug* It also sounds like you haven't been sleeping well, have you managed to get a good nights sleep in the last few nights?

As everyone else has said, alcohol does tend to make things seem a lot worse so it's not advisable to drink a lot when you are already feeling down. It can also really interfere with your regular sleeping patterns, so this might be why you were having trouble sleeping.

It does sound like you already know how alcohol affects you, and that it is more likely to make you feel low and therefore self-harm. Have you thought about not drinking for a while and seeing if this makes you feel any better? Are there other activities you could do with your friends that don't involve drinking? Or do you feel comfortable saying no when everyone else is having a drink?

You also mentioned that you haven't spoken to any of your friends about how you are feeling and self-harm. Is this out of choice? Some people find that confiding in someone else can really help and if you don't want to chat to a friend how about a counsellor, teacher or parent?

You've probably already seen this section of TheSite about self-harm before, but you might also find these coping tips and distractions helpful which you can use when you feel like you really need a drink or really want to self-harm.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on *hug*
    LauraO
  • Options
    no I am not sleeping properly at all and it's really hard to try motivate myself during the day because I fell so worn out and tired all the time,I hate hearing my alarm go off in the morning. I can say I know it's not the alcohol that's messing up my sleeping patterns, to be honest I don't go out every weekend and get drunk but last weekend I really felt like getting drunk and forgetting the shit week I had. I will probably try avoid alcohol for a while I think. I don't want my friends knowing how I am feeling because i don't feel comfortable telling them and I speak to my head of sixth form but can't tell him I self harm... I feel like I am retreating into my own little world trying to block everyone out because it is easier to say yes I am fine but I know that really it's self harm that's helping me feel fine especially when I feel so tired.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey again :wave:

Sorry to hear you are still not managing to get a good night's sleep, but it's very postive that you have decided not to drink too heavily for a while as this will help.

Most people don't like the sound of the alarm in the morning, but it sounds like you are really exhausted *hug* Why do you think you are not sleeping properly? Do you think it is because you have a lot on your mind? I am not sure if you have seen this but we have a sleeping section on TheSite which may help give you some hints and tips. Some people find it helps to have a routine and try to go to bed at roughly the same time each night. It is also important to try and relax before you go to sleep and there are some hints about how to do this.

It's understandable that you might not feel comfortable speaking to your friends about self-harm as this is a personal issue and it's your choice who you confide in. You mentioned that you can speak to your head of sixth form so it sounds as though you trust him. Why do you feel you can't speak him about self-harm? Is there anyone else at school who maybe able to help or listen?

Of course we are here to listen too :) so please do keep posting

LauraO
  • Options
    i am running on so little energy and its starting to affect my work and sport. i am controlling what i am eating and exercising in the hope i feel better. i seem to get tired but when i go to bed i am wide awake all of a sudden and i get frustrated when i cant get to sleep. then i end up thinking and worrying about things that are going on at the moment but i always try think its a new day when i wake up but my days are all blending into one and i dont see the break. everything is a blur to me, i feel really dazed!
    i seem to be self harming more at the moment and my moods are really strange, they come and go and i get angry and tearful at the littlest of things.
    i dont want to talk to my head of sixth form about self harm becuase he said he will always listen but might not be able to help me and i am scared what his reaction will be, will he think i am mad?
  • Options
    you don't need me or anyone else to tell you that controlling food and over-exercising is not the way to cope with how you feel. it will only lead you down another avenue of harming yourself. it's not worth the pain. instead of punishing yourself with food, nurture yourself with it - look after your body and it will work much better, especially if sport is your passion.
    i dont want to talk to my head of sixth form about self harm becuase he said he will always listen but might not be able to help me and i am scared what his reaction will be, will he think i am mad?

absolutely not. he might suggest other avenues of support that would be more useful, but he won't leave you to cope alone. and he would never think or say that you are mad, if anything he will say you are brave. i think you should tell him.
  • Options
    i am trying to eat healthier and loose a bit of weight but nothing too extreme, although my moods seem to be making me deal with hunger in strange ways.
    i have been talking to him but it just doesnt feel the right time, i guess it never will feel the right time to tell someone about self harm. it's easier said than done and i cant seem to find the confidence to say the words, to ask for help.. :/
  • Options
    i guess it never will feel the right time to tell someone about self harm. it's easier said than done and i cant seem to find the confidence to say the words, to ask for help.. :/

I know what you mean..

if you really want to talk to him then...

well when i admitted it to my teacher i just couldnt find the words. so instead i showed her some of the cuts.

I know that most people are really not comfortable doing that, but just a little suggestion xx