Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

inhaling printer ink and laser toner particles?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone reckon being around printers is bad for you?

I remember when we moved offices years ago and the girl on reception was saying the laser printers (which were near her) were giving off a fine dust that was bothering her

I myself am wondering if the recent breathing problems I'm having is caused by the vapor from the external ink tank on my printer which is similar to the one below.

I've now wrapped the ink tank in 2 transparent plastic bags and sealed the end to see if anything builds up inside.

img_4694.jpg

Comments

• Options
    When I was cleaning in an office once my manager told me to be careful when emptying this bin cos it had a toner out of a printer/photocopier in it and it shouldnt be inhailed.
  • Options
    yeah toner for those that don't know is what laser printers use - it's powdered ink - very fine like dust and easy to inhale.

I'm going to see if any condensation builds up on the plastic bags I've wrapped the ink tank in - if it does then that should be an indication it's giving off fumes
  • Options
    Yeah is really fine! Can toner be any colour? I've only seen black, and I think yellow?? Where I worked they had massive toners that went in the photocopier and it used to be all over the place, quite dangerous really.
  • Options
    most printers will be black but a colour laser printer will probably have 4 colours black, yellow, cyan and magenta
  • Options
    Inhaling toner ink is insanely bad for your health. Take it from me, I take that stuff apart and sometimes it's not easy getting that shit out. More specifically the big office printers.. they're just awful. So yeah, being around printers is bad for you.

Also, toner comes in cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

Also, also, they're really heavy.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Yeah, I reckon so. I get a little 'high' off the stuff. I blame my company for buying rubbish equipment that you have to print out several times on before it actually works and comes out how you want it to!