Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brighton

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm planning on going there with a group from London some time in Feb .. like get the train up there around 1pm and leave about 9pm.

Does anyone have suggestions of things to do and see in the city?

I want to get all the sight seeing out of the way before it gets dark, so seeing things like the pier, etc and then get some food and drinks in a few places before getting back to the train station.

Any suggestions of some places to visit?

Also suggestions for places for a large group of people to get food and get seated easily on a weekend? We'd probably get there early like 6pm on a Saturday for something to eat, but ideally it would be somewhere that can handle a large group and where people pay in advance for their food,or pay one price and eat as much as they want, or even be a BYOB place so we're not stuck at the end trying to figure out who owes what.

I like the looks of the s lug and lettuce but that's in Hove so I wonder if that might be too far?

Any experts on Brighton please post your suggests and advice :wave:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Check for engineering on the trains etc otherwise you might end up spending two hours on a bus :D.
  • Options
    I have had some amazing trips to Brighton! There are lots of restaurants that cater for large groups as there are so many Hen and Stag do's in Brighton. There is a chinese buffet one on the main strip that is as much as you can eat for a fixed price (can't remember how much but it was cheap) with chocolate fountain and pudding included. Brighton is pretty condensed so you can walk everywhere pretty much. Definately check out the pier (there are arcade games, a bar, various food kiosks, tacky souveniers), the stony beach, the Royal Pavillion (a nice building with nice grassy around to chill out on - I've not been inside as it's quite expensive but the outside is definately worth a look), if you have time to kill the Brighton Museam is free. There is great shopping on the High Street and there are lots of little boutiques on "The Lanes", also there are nice pubs, clubs (although you probably won't club on a day trip!) - everywhere asks for ID in the evening even if you are like 30, they are really strict.

Have fun!
  • Options
    DO NOT LEAVE without getting donuts from the pier. best ever.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    DO NOT LEAVE without getting donuts from the pier. best ever.

Do they still have that machine. Whe i used to live down south (a long time now) i went to Brighton a fair bit. About halfway down the Palace pier, in one of those little middle shop thingys was a doughnut place. There was a bath of hot oil that went all the way round the shop, like a mini canal. The machine dropped the batter in the oil, it travelled halfway round in the oil frying, got flipped, carried on the rest of the way then fell into a big bowl of sugary goodness :D

Used to fascinate me :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Do they still have that machine. Whe i used to live down south (a long time now) i went to Brighton a fair bit. About halfway down the Palace pier, in one of those little middle shop thingys was a doughnut place. There was a bath of hot oil that went all the way round the shop, like a mini canal. The machine dropped the batter in the oil, it travelled halfway round in the oil frying, got flipped, carried on the rest of the way then fell into a big bowl of sugary goodness :D

Used to fascinate me :)

Yeah, it's awesome! Don't forget the little machine that poos out the rings. I once went there stoned, watching the whole process then getting to eat the end result was positively magical.
  • Options
    If you split off into smaller groups or anything, go to the lanes :) Super awesome shops, and a yummy veggie fast food place called Red Veg.

Defo go to the pier, it's pretty fun, and like RG said the Royal Pavilion is lovely too. Have a good time! x
  • Options
    I'm from just outside Brighton and it's my favourite city in Britain. :) No place like home!

Yeah obviously the Pier and the seafront in general is a highlight. The donuts really are delicious.
    The Pavillion is beautiful and the pavillion gardens are always lovely to walk through and relax in when the weathers good, not really a February activity, but it's still worth a walk and seeing the Pavillion.
    Definately explore the Lanes, you've got the old Lanes which are the traditional narrow streets, lots of old pubs, jewellry shops, antique and clothes shops. Then you have the North Laines which are quite trendy and are full of clothes shops, record stores, markets, tatto/piercing places, cafe's and some pubs/bars e.t.c.
    Hove is a bit of a mish, but it is easy to do. You could walk along the seafront to Hove which would be a nice walk or you could just take a bus from Churchill square. Hove is really nice, quite peacful and the beach is nicer and quieter than Brighton's.
    Also worth checking out Kemp Town if you have time. It's the 'gay district' of Brighton.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    I did a very quick recon trip over the weekend - need to go back again but was thinking the pitcher / piano bar was a good place perhaps for a late lunch (of say around 2pm .. didn't actually visit it this time though)

I think it seems suitable, location seems good, and people pay for themselves and they have a variety of food choices so should keep most people happy and I don't have to worry about a single bill and working out who ate what. They also seem to offer online vouchers, etc we could make use of.

Still thinking about a place to take people for Dinner that is also similar but closer to the Main Station so there is no rush to get the train home.

I did find there are steps from behind the station past Jury's Inn Hotel so that now opens up the possibility of going to a place less touristy and behind the station. Perhaps people also have suggestion near that area.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I'm from just outside Brighton and it's my favourite city in Britain.

Really?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Really?

Home innit.
    It's got everything you'd want in a city, it's by the sea, surrounding countryside is beautiful, easy to get to London. It's small for a city but that adds to its charm.
    I'm living in Leeds at the moment and I love it, but Brighton's home. Know what I mean?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think there's anything bad about Brighton bu I don't find it too special either. Full of odd people aswell.

Been to most cities in Britain through work and have to say may faves are Bath, Newcastle, Cardiff, Plymouth, Edinburgh and of course London
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Nottingham FTW :thumb:
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything bad about Brighton bu I don't find it too special either. Full of odd people aswell.

Haha I can see where you're coming from. I just think it has a great charm about it. I like being by the sea and it just has a nice vibe about the place. It's also nostalgic as its where I've grown up, taken girls on first dates, first started going out clubbing e.t.c.
    Other than Brighton though, of course London is another favourite. What is there not to love about it? It has everything. And it's so close to Brighton, just a quick train ride away.
    I love Leeds too, living here is brilliant and everything is cheaper than down south.
    I think Bristol and Edinburgh are wicked too. Never been to Newcastle, but I've heard good things. Not a fan of Cardiff though.