Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sleeping too much

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm sleeping to much and it's starting to affct lots of things in my life - i missed uni today and yesterday coz i was asleep- i feel tired alot if i don't sleep for at least11 hours and then have to have a nap in the afternoon. I know i need a good sleep routine but how do i get one? lately i haven't been able to get to sleep til 12-1am then have to sleep til lunchtime- i can't wake up for my alarm and turn it off without waking up. Everyone thinks i am lazy but i can't wake up. It has been like this since about 7weeks. How do i stop this?

Comments

• Options
    do you think you might have chronic fatigue syndrome?
  • Options
    im not really sure what that is. i think if i went to the doctors he would just say im lazy or not in a routine, but i cant get in a routine coz if i even hear my alarm at all i feel too tired and then go back to sleep, its overwhelming
  • Options
    If it's been going on for a while then it's worth going to talk to your doctor about it.

It might be something simple like a routine change that's needed, but if you've got yourself into the habit then you're going to need advice about how to change it. It might also be that you're not getting the right balance of exercise and rest for your body, so worth looking at what you do with your time when you're not sleeping.

It might be there's a problem with your sleep - so the time you spend asleep isn't actually resting and refreshing your system.

And it might be a hormone/nutrition problem where your body either isn't getting what it needs to function properly, or is over or under producing hormones which are messing things up. Being iron deficient, or having a thyroid problem are two possibilities but the list on this front is pretty endless.
  • Options
    Getting your sleep schedule ironed out will likely help you to feel less fatigued, but I understand how hard it can be to do that once you've gotten settled into this routine. I've recently managed to start sleeping around 11 and get up around 8 or 8:30, instead of staying up until 1 and sleeping until 10 or 11, and I feel a million times more awake.

I've had the exact same problem before. I was sleeping 10-11 hours a night, then napping for about 2 hours in the afternoon and still feeling tired constantly. For me, part of the problem was that I was on medication that was apparently sedating me a bit too much. If you've recently started taking anything, even something over-the-counter such as a supplement or allergy meds or whatever, see if that's a potential side-effect. Other causes, as Scary Monster suggested, could include not moving enough. It sounds backwards but moving more can actually give you more energy overall. If your waking hours are spent sitting around at your desk and not moving much, that can cause fatigue. Try taking a walk every day, doing some crunches, anything to get yourself moving more. It can really help.

Also, seeing your doctor isn't a bad idea. They can do a few easy blood tests to check your thyroid, your iron levels, all the obvious culprits for fatigue. If one of those is the problem, it's pretty easy to fix, so it's worth a look.
  • Options
    i'm sleeping to much and it's starting to affct lots of things in my life - i missed uni today and yesterday coz i was asleep- i feel tired alot if i don't sleep for at least11 hours and then have to have a nap in the afternoon. I know i need a good sleep routine but how do i get one? lately i haven't been able to get to sleep til 12-1am then have to sleep til lunchtime- i can't wake up for my alarm and turn it off without waking up. Everyone thinks i am lazy but i can't wake up. It has been like this since about 7weeks. How do i stop this?

First of all, try to get a normal sleep routine. If you can't go to sleep until that late, cut out things that keep you awake, like caffeine (tea, coffee,...), and do things that make you tired. Like working out, jogging. So sports in general, or just anything other than sitting at home on your arse.

Set your alarm for a reasonable time and put the alarm clock on the other side of the room, so there is no way you can turn it off without leaving the bed and be wide awake.

If you really are adamant to make this better, you won't have much trouble with that.

If there are other reasons for your drowsiness, check what you are eating. Are you getting enough nutrients? Are you eating and drinking enough? Is your nutrition balanced? Do you eat meat, or get enough iron from other sources?

If it doesn't improve, consult your doctor. There are a lot of things that can make you tired all the time, many of which can be seen in a blood screening.
  • Options
    thanks for the replys everyone - i will be making an apt in a couple of weeks with my doc if tings dont improve, i've managed to get up after 7 or 8 hours s;eep so far this week, but i do feel like the walking dead and fell asleep in a lecture yesterday. keep keepin on ;)
  • Options
    i'm sleeping to much and it's starting to affct lots of things in my life - i missed uni today and yesterday coz i was asleep- i feel tired alot if i don't sleep for at least11 hours and then have to have a nap in the afternoon. I know i need a good sleep routine but how do i get one? lately i haven't been able to get to sleep til 12-1am then have to sleep til lunchtime[/QUOTE/]

sounds as if although you feel you have a bad sleeping pattern, you have just changed yours from being going to bed at a reasonable time to be able to wake up a a decent time. eg. say 10pm to wake up for 8am.

Just to bere in mind, it might be worth seeing your doctor to check out if you have Aneimia. I have it and i get so drowzy.