Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

just a thought/suggestion.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
Just a suggestion. But for a lot of forums I use, they have a add-on called tapatalk to make it easier for mobile browsing. It's vbulletin compatible, doesn't cost anything to install I believe. They just make their money selling the app on phones.

What do you think about using it on here? Also promotes thesite through tapatalk itself.

http://www.tapatalk.com/
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ooh that'd be good, it's a nightmare trying to access the site on my phone.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Sounds pretty good - will deffo look into it - cheers Hellfire :thumb:
  • patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    Mobile access

Thanks Hellfire for the suggestion. Mobile access to the boards and TheSite,org generally is something we're currently looking into. We'd love to be able to make more of the content on TheSite.org more accessible for mobile devices.

In particular, it would be great to make the boards more mobile friendly. We're currently scoping out upgrading vBulletin from the current version we use 3.6 to vBulletin 4. vBulletin 4's been out for a while now and is at a point where a lot of the initial bugs and teething problems have been ironed out. We'll soon been posting about this in more detail as we really want to get soundings from the community about what this move to a newer version might mean, and what we need to take into account should we go ahead with the move.

One of the attractions of moving to a newer version is mobile compatibility. Tapatalk only supports VB 3.7 onwards for instance. vBulletin themselves are looking at developing an app builder that forum owners like TheSite.org could buy to create a customised app for TheSite boards that would then be free to users. We're really excited about the possibilities here and it's certainly something we would like to discuss more and think about how we can best take advantage of the technology out there!

Thanks again.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    $300 for an app? vBulletin are really taking the big P. You guys should look into hiring a developer to actually make one, even a normal browser version, if it isn't an dedicated app. It would work out cheaper I think. I agree with the reviews on the iTunes page, vBulletin are just money and statistic hungry who think they're the best.
  • patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    Yep, there are plenty of options out there- and the planned vBulletin mobile app is just one of them. We'll be looking at all these options in the coming months- and discussing them more here. Watch this space :- )