Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's your religion?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Different timezone, you've spanned three of our days.
    Even then, there was only like two or three hours left of the day there. But I suppose that doesn't matter very much and we're just splitting hairs here.
    Though, I'm not sure what "contentious threads" you're referring to

So, you don't think that posting about religion, gun control, abortion, gay marriage, climate change, legalisation of illegal drugs, state funding of education and health care or Alaskan oil would be contentious?

Really?

Troll.
    Considering it's the politics and debate forum, no. And further considering that all the threads were simply identifier threads, no. I take an interest in religion and politics, so I posted about it. I also posted advice to people in other threads in the appropriately labeled advice forums. Does that make me a troll too?
    I'll just use myself as an example here so maybe you'll better understand what i'm trying to say. The reason why I respect religion is because I see some of the good things that it does for people. I see how much it helps the people that have nothing else hold onto something to believe in. In some cases it does turn some very bad people into a better person and it does help. I'm not saying that there isn't a bad side to it either but, like the good, it comes from how people interpret it and use it. When it all boils down it's all just there and people can take whatever they want from it rather it be the good or bad.

That's simply not true though. You can't interpret anything you want however you want. There is some source material there, and it is going to affect how people conduct themselves, so the content of the source material is relevant as long as people genuinely believe it to be true. And this is where religion get particularly messy, because unlike philosophy or politics, which are constantly revised and rewritten, people don't discard the obviously damaging aspects of religion as easily. Even if the majority of people simply ignore the inconvenient passages, or interpret them as being of their time, the fact that the religion comes as a whole becomes problematic when people who have been brought up to believe this is true latch on to the more problematic aspects of the books they've been taught. Killing apostates is undoubtedly an immoral teaching by any modern ethical standards, so why does it remain part of a text that is taught to the children of moderate religious people? The answer is specifically because it's a religion and not a philosophy, and that's where the problem lies.

It is specifically the stuff that makes a religion a religion that makes it both ridiculous (the supernatural claims) and damaging (the belief that a god is communicating something to you).
    So, I suppose that means that you believe in abiogenesis?

'Believe' is too strong a word. The science hasn't proved it yet so I can't 'believe' it without proof. The Miller–Urey experiment, and subsequent exeperiments with man-made 'primordial soups', do indicate that it may well be possible. It's been proved that carbon within the experiment was now in the form of organic compounds, made up of a variety of common amino acids, which make proteins in living cells. Glycine, sugars and liquids, also miraculously appeared - so it may be too soon to knock abiogenesis just yet.
    Considering it's the politics and debate forum, no. And further considering that all the threads were simply identifier threads, no. I take an interest in religion and politics, so I posted about it. I also posted advice to people in other threads in the appropriately labeled advice forums. Does that make me a troll too?

A lot of what you post can and is discussed here, however the topics you have posted are ones which are not such a major issue in the UK, as they are in the US. This is afterall a UK run board primarily for UK based users. Of course everyone is welcome to join in, but perhaps sometimes what we would view as incendiary threads might not be so in the US.
    'Believe' is too strong a word. The science hasn't proved it yet so I can't 'believe' it without proof. The Miller–Urey experiment, and subsequent exeperiments with man-made 'primordial soups', do indicate that it may well be possible. It's been proved that carbon within the experiment was now in the form of organic compounds, made up of a variety of common amino acids, which make proteins in living cells. Glycine, sugars and liquids, also miraculously appeared - so it may be too soon to knock abiogenesis just yet.

Hm... you drew from the Miller-Urey experiment that it could be possible? I'm interested in hearing your perspective on that because the data I analyzed from the same experiment seemed to almost conclusively put the knix on it.
    A lot of what you post can and is discussed here, however the topics you have posted are ones which are not such a major issue in the UK, as they are in the US. This is afterall a UK run board primarily for UK based users. Of course everyone is welcome to join in, but perhaps sometimes what we would view as incendiary threads might not be so in the US.

Asking people where they stand on Religion and Politics, platform-wise? Um... can you explain to me how that's any more incendiary in the UK than it would be in the US?
    Why is it that, whenever we get a large influx of Yanks, they're always so bloody annoying?

Aw, and I was actually starting to like you too. :x Anyway, not all of us are from the US.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Why is it that, whenever we get a large influx of Yanks, they're always so bloody annoying?
    Which post did this come from?
    Hm... you drew from the Miller-Urey experiment that it could be possible? I'm interested in hearing your perspective on that because the data I analyzed from the same experiment seemed to almost conclusively put the knix on it.

Well, it's true that Miller-Urey model, conducted in the early 1950's, did not use the atmospheric model that now matches our present understanding of the early Earth but, of course, it has inspired a lot of research since, from 'Clay Theory' to the formation of polyphosphates by polymerization, that bump abiogenesis research along.

Having said that, as recently as 2008, scientists examined a number of vials left over from Miller's experiments of the early 1950s and found even more organic compounds than what Miller had discovered.

I like the fact that you keep yourself informed. Can you give me a bit of background on yourself and how you analysed the data? Do you have a background in chemistry?
    Which post did this come from?

Gone now. Guess it got deleted.
    Well, it's true that Miller-Urey model, conducted in the early 1950's, did not use the atmospheric model that now matches our present understanding of the early Earth but, of course, it has inspired a lot of research since, from 'Clay Theory' to the formation of polyphosphates by polymerization, that bump abiogenesis research along.

Having said that, as recently as 2008, scientists examined a number of vials left over from Miller's experiments of the early 1950s and found even more organic compounds than what Miller had discovered.

I like the fact that you keep yourself informed. Can you give me a bit of background on yourself and how you analysed the data? Do you have a background in chemistry?

My major in school right now is biology. I'm only twenty though, so I haven't had any job pertaining to it unless you count air condition installation (which I don't.) I just like to learn and I don't believe anything without first knowing as much as I can about the parameters surrounding it, so I read a lot. Haha.

Feelings are mutual though. You make a lot of valid points in these threads and I look forward to speaking more with you on these forums. :)
    I just like to learn and I don't believe anything without first knowing as much as I can about the parameters surrounding it, so I read a lot. Haha.

That's me too! :)
    You and I will get along well, me thinks. :)
    I'm sorry it seems like I missed a few posts.

Actually wicca is a form of witchcraft, which has been around for hundreds of years. Just because you personally believe it's made up doesn't mean it is.
    I'm not convinced that Wicca is really as old as some of its followers claim... That isn't to discredit any of the NeoPagan movement, I just wonder how much of these religions came 'out of the broom closet' following the repeal of the Witchcraft Act (after which, Gardner started to publish his works) and how much they have deviated from their roots and become fetishised, rather than replicated as what they really were (obviously, not everybody who follows Neopagan paths claims it to be older than Christianity)...

Take Druidry for example... There's very little evidence of what the 'original' druids believed in, other than where they existed. Obviously, there has been a revival since the 18th century, but is it really 'Druidry' in the same sense as it used to be?

Gardner travelled through a lot of Asia... I'm more convinced that he took from Hinduism, than what may have been traditional witchcraft (if it actually existed, or was recorded to exist)...

That doesn't mean I don't respect NeoPaganism and/or witchcraft, I think that it's as valid as believing some guy walked on water... I just doubt how 'old' it is, in the sense that it has had continuation through people, rather than word of mouth, or abstract ideas...
    I am an atheist. It doesn't suprise me in the slightest that the OP is religous.

Religous people must fear death because they don't know what they think will happen afterwards.

Atheist have no need to fear death because we don't believe that anything can happen afterwards.
    I am an atheist. It doesn't suprise me in the slightest that the OP is religous.

And why is that?
    And why is that?

It doesn't suprise me because religion is set of contradictory beliefs that fuels further irrational beliefs and behaviour, and you seem to be very good at holding contradictory beliefs.

From your procedure of posting a question to others and waiting for a response before stating (but not at first explaining) your own views; it seems that you don't want to be challenged on your views despite wanting other people to agree with you. When other people don't agree with you, you attempt to explain your views, but critically start your arguments from the positon that you are right, which in my view is also intended to limit discussion and criticism of your own views. Limiting discussion and criticism of their views is a popular tactic of religous people trying to convinced others to follow their beliefs.

P.S. I won't be apoligising for descontructing the operation of your ridiculous group of users.
    Yes, "decontructing". Quite. Except your entire little premise falls short of one little thing:
    Oh, I forgot to say mine. I am a Nazarene.

Implication of "I forgot" being? That I forgot to put it in.

Further?

I have no care in the world about anyone believing what I do. I stated earlier that if anyone has earnest questions, I will do my best to explain it to them. However, my religious views are not of the nature that they require more and more followers. If more people believe what I do? Great! If not, it doesn't harm me nor them.

You wanna try another angle or do you want to continue that half-assed one?
    Yes, "decontructing". Quite. Except your entire little premise falls short of one little thing:

Implication of "I forgot" being? That I forgot to put it in.

Further?

I have no care in the world about anyone believing what I do. I stated earlier that if anyone has earnest questions, I will do my best to explain it to them. However, my religious views are not of the nature that they require more and more followers. If more people believe what I do? Great! If not, it doesn't harm me nor them.

You wanna try another angle or do you want to continue that half-assed one?

I'll continue with this one thanks. Although I find it very convienent that you "forgot" in this thread, in your other thread about politics you witheld your own views until you could present them as intrinsically superior views of the rest of the board.

I've just looked at the introduction thread of your group, it seems to me that you crave adornment. The group is a way of acheiving that, but you still crave more, so you intend to prove your intellectual prowess to the rest of the group by 'winning' debates with people outside the group.
    I'll continue with this one thanks. Although I find it very convienent that you "forgot" in this thread, in your other thread about politics you witheld your own views until you could present them as intrinsically superior views of the rest of the board.

I've just looked at the introduction thread of your group, it seems to me that you crave adornment. The group is a way of acheiving that, but you still crave more, so you intend to prove your intellectual prowess to the rest of the group by 'winning' debates with people outside the group.

First post:
    I, myself, am a left-leaning Libertarian. Paleolibertarian, to be precise.

Uh... right. And when I asked about specific views, I was attempting to see if my speculation about the outlook of Libertarianism being different among Americans and British was accurate. As I've mentioned numerous times in that thread. Looks like you missed that bit, Detective Dipshit.

But yes. We're just here for attention. That's why we've posted in advice threads, casually conversed with the members here and continually stated that we're willing to embrace peace with the denizens of this forum, right? But cafones like you, continually screaming at your computers like Matthew Lesko with 'roid rage -- continue to embargo that.

It seems to me that your hemmorhoid is just swelling because of the fact that the debates we're in, we're actually doing well in. "Winning" is subjective, but because we have opinions that typically differ from the majority here and we don't just roll over and say "You've defeated me because my views are infinitely inferior" -- that irks you.

But your personal feelings aside, even if your astute observations had any semblance of truth to them: You'd still be a dumb ass. Because your methodology of "decontructing" us would be asinine. When someone solicits attention, you only serve to exacerbate the problem by being, as StrubbleS put it, the "forum hero". "Starving the beast" would be your best bet because, in many cases, less is indeed more.
    State != Explain

You are in fact correct that I have made a mistake in getting dragged in to your pompous nonsense.
    Now, go to your room and think about what you've done, kiddo.
    Now, go to your room and think about what you've done, kiddo.

Your funny :p
    Oh! You responded again!
    God is a DJ.
    God is a DJ.

And life is a dance floor?
    And life is a dance floor?
    Ha, I was thinking of Faithless, not Pink ;)
    I guess i dont really have a religion, i like the idea of there being a god and all that but i just dont seem to have that faith.

I believe that if there is a heaven then living your life as an honest person, helping others when you can, and always standing up for the unfortuante should be enough to get you in, if it isnt and it comes down to going to church every week even though you are an evil bastard then i dont want to go anyway :no:

Not that i think for one minute he will want me up there anyway :d
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Louisek wrote: »
    I believe that if there is a heaven then living your life as an honest person, helping others when you can, and always standing up for the unfortuante should be enough to get you in
    :yes:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    'Lighthouses are more helpful than churches'
    Weekender Offender