Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Censorship or recognising offensive langauge

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

I'm in college and one of my past times in college is picking up as many girls in a day as I can and wooing them. One day, I was bagging two girls in one of the hallways and capturing their attention with vivacious conversation that captured their attention. In particular, I was talking about using my scrotal hairs to floss their teeth with. (I don't want to hear it about how I shouldn't talk to ladies like that.)

Now, I was minding my own business with these two girls, who were cherry red from laughter. When all of a sudden, a woman interjects, spouting off, "Will you shut your filthy tongue?! I'm trying to do a test and you're distracting me! God!"

I want you to take a moment to think about how you would react in this situation and how you think I reacted before continuing.

My response was a smile and a polite, "I'm sorry, are we distracting you?" She snapped back with an abrasive "YEAH!" To which I maintained my smile I said "Okay, we'll try to keep it down. But, one thing. You know, in the future, you can be nicer in approaching someone."

Now, this woman looked at me like I just told her that I was Lucifer and I was going to rape her children. In a wild tangent, she shot up out of her seat, screaming, "This is a public place! You have no right to carry on this way!" Yadda yadda yadda.

Once again, I maintained my smile and said "Yes, this is a public place, ma'am. That's why you have to be tolerant of other people's conversations and expect that the world doesn't revolve around what you deem worthy of discussion. Freedom of speech, not freedom from speech."

Apparently, I pissed her off so much that she went to report me to the office. At that point, another student politely told me that I was distracting him with all the fighting and I smiled, gave him a thumbs up and said "Not a problem, bro. I got'chu." And I left with one of the girls.

oooh STUD :rolleyes:
  • Options
    as social animals, its perfectly reasonable and understandable for someone to be offended or hurt by people calling them offensive names or saying horrible things about them, just as its perfectly reasonable to be pleased and happy when people praise you

In A nutshell :thumb:

oooh STUD :rolleyes:

We can all learn something form this humble man. Not only can he offer to floss girls teeth with his pubic hair and fight people, he also has the strength of charactor to not react angrily when put under the pressure of people politely asking him to stop acting like an idiot, he simply..... "keeps smiling"

Anyway, why is someone doing a test in the "hallway"
  • Options
    If some random person came up to YOU on the street and said that, what would you do?

Because I think most people would either be confused or amused. Both of which are 'changing your mood', though not necessarily letting it bother them. Confused =/= bothered.

My reaction would be "Okay, bro. I love you though." And I'd move on with my life.

And if they're amused, then that's different than letting someone impair your day by getting "offended", which is what we were talking about.
    I was walking with my girfriend of the time through Bond Street about 10 years ago and two skinheads were walking past in the other direction and the older guy looked at me and my spikey hair and snapped, "your hair looks fucking shit" quite angrily with a snarl.

Yes it did bother me.

My GF was half Somalian/half Arabic and they looked like your typical racists so i dont know if that had something to do with it but yeah it played on my mind and pissed me off, i was about 17 and they were in their 30's so it was a bit worrying!

Im sure if someone looked at you and said "C##T" as they walked past you might do more than just hear it and immediatly dismiss it. You might even process it through your brain and think about "why" did he call me a "C##T"

Getting upset for being called a nigger is no less understandable for being upset for being called fat (if your fat) or skinny (if your skinny) or faggot (if your gay) in my opinion.

Listen, bro. If that's the way you choose to live your life, it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket. I was simply stating my opinion that I believe letting someone impair your mood with words is silly and counter-productive to your own emotional health.
    We can all learn something form this humble man. Not only can he offer to floss girls teeth with his pubic hair and fight people, he also has the strength of charactor to not react angrily when put under the pressure of people politely asking him to stop acting like an idiot, he simply..... "keeps smiling"

Anyway, why is someone doing a test in the "hallway"

AFC rants always makes me laugh.

Fuck if I know why they were doing their test in the hallway, but they certainly weren't polite about asking me to stop. If they were, I would have complied without question. If you actually read, I left once the other guy asked politely.

I never claimed to be humble, by the way.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    as social animals, its perfectly reasonable and understandable for someone to be offended or hurt by people calling them offensive names or saying horrible things about them, just as its perfectly reasonable to be pleased and happy when people praise you

:thumb:
  • Options
    what i dont understand is why someone who in every posts seems to be arrogantly trying to impress people, then says he is unaffected by words people say.
  • Options
    I'm assuming you're referring to me? Haha. Who says that I'm trying to impress anyone? Having an opinion on things and sharing it = trying to impress people?
  • Options

Listen, bro. If that's the way you choose to live your life, it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket. I was simply stating my opinion that I believe letting someone impair your mood with words is silly and counter-productive to your own emotional health.

AFC rants always makes me laugh.

If by AFC you mean this

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=afc

I can assure you i dont "obey girls like a slave" and I've never had any problems with getting girls/women, in fact ive never had to try and "woo them" or make an effort to pick them up, just kinda happens natural!

One thing i will back you up on is that if if you genuinly have the ability to not be affected by an insult, or if you have never had a complex about anything in your life then well done and that can only be a good thing.

Just remember, nobody wants to hear you talk about flossing teeth with your pubes, it may infuriate people who are trying to study for all the right reasons, mature a little.
  • Options
    And here's the thing. If I'm chatting up my friends, anyone who is nearby who happens to be eavesdropping has it on their heads if they hear it or not. Should she not want to hear it, she has the right to leave or politely ask me to stop. She also has the right to react the way she did, but in doing so, she garners the exact reaction that she didn't want. Simple, no?

See, but your middle paragraph only affirms everything I've said. All my stance has been implying is that it is counterproductive to oneself to be affected by negativity and that you can master your own emotions. For example, I was clinically diagnosed with depression, but I've learned to combat that through sheer willpower. You learn to tame your emotions, so that there's more room for the things that matter than stupid shit like someone who doesn't like you.
  • Options
    And here's the thing. If I'm chatting up my friends, anyone who is nearby who happens to be eavesdropping has it on their heads if they hear it or not. Should she not want to hear it, she has the right to leave or politely ask me to stop. She also has the right to react the way she did, but in doing so, she garners the exact reaction that she didn't want. Simple, no?

See, but your middle paragraph only affirms everything I've said. All my stance has been implying is that it is counterproductive to oneself to be affected by negativity and that you can master your own emotions. For example, I was clinically diagnosed with depression, but I've learned to combat that through sheer willpower. You learn to tame your emotions, so that there's more room for the things that matter than stupid shit like someone who doesn't like you.

I couldn't care less about if somebody doesn't like me Chief as i know im a good person and i do good, my emotions are under control (but not when i'm teaching my other half to drive :banghead: "i said turn the wheel LEFT!!).

I see what your getting at there, and i support the idea somewhat but i dont want to give the impression that i was bogged down by a negative comment because i wasnt, i think its natural to respond, but yes, dont take things to heart sure, let it pass.

Id also like to add that you should be respectfull to others around you, they may wish to escape your bullshit, (just as you may wish to escape theirs) You should identify what behaviour is acceptable in enclosed busy areas.
  • Options
    That's the thing though. It's not like I was unwilling to compromise or even that I was rude when she did snap at me. I even said we'd cool it, but suggested a nicer approach in the future.

And yeah, I understand sometimes things can be frustrating. What I'm saying, though, is that it will leave you with much more peace of mind to not let stupid things like words hurt you. I don't think that's bad advice to give anyone. And yes, it is natural to respond, but at the same time, filtering if the statement is even worth thinking about again. :)
  • Options
    That's the thing though. It's not like I was unwilling to compromise or even that I was rude when she did snap at me. I even said we'd cool it, but suggested a nicer approach in the future.

And yeah, I understand sometimes things can be frustrating. What I'm saying, though, is that it will leave you with much more peace of mind to not let stupid things like words hurt you. I don't think that's bad advice to give anyone. And yes, it is natural to respond, but at the same time, filtering if the statement is even worth thinking about again. :)

Well i give you credit for not being rude to anyone directly and not losing your temper.

Just remembr whatever control you assert on yourself, others will still be offended by words.

When you suggested a nicer approach, she thought you were being smart, you have to deal with angry people as the worlds not perfect, for whatever reason, she was agitated, maybe it was you, maybe she was hungry, maybe she was stressed, maybe she had got some bad news earlier, the list is endless?

Best option would of been to move away from her in the first instance.
  • Options
    Nah. Ya kind of get a vibe when someone thinks you're being a smartass in what they say. She simply believed she didn't have to be nice.

But yeah, I understand people will get offended. I said earlier that you should make an effort not to be offensive, lest you alienate yourself. I was simply stating my opinion on the subject from an individualistic sense. :)