Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

fertility testing

this thread is going to sound really stupid.

basically, i'm really worried that when i start to try for children, i'll find out i won't be able to get pregnant.

i didn't start my periods until i was 15/16. i started very late. i went on the pill when i was 17/18. when i wasn't on the pill, my periods were all over the show. i didn't have a period every month like i was supposed to. they were really irregular. when i did have them, they were very painful and heavy.

was that normal? i mean, i was in the first few years of starting my period?

i'm really worried that i could have that polycystic ovary syndrome or something. i'm probably being a hypochondriac but it really is something that worries me. my body clock is ticking and i'm just terrified i'm not going to be able to have children. people will probably laugh at me and think i'm being silly but its honestly REALLY worrying me.

as i've said, i've been on the pill since i was 17/18. so since i was 17/18, my periods have been very light, i've had the odd bit of spotting and they have been painless. but periods whilst on the pill aren't real periods right? this is what is worrying me. i don't know whether i have periods or not as i've been having fake ones whilst being on the pill.

i also get worried that i'll have affected my chances from when i was dieting really strictly a few years ago.

i'm just really worried about my fertility. is there any way of testing it?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know you can check ovulation when you are contraception (hormonal) free but this is no gaurantee of fertility.
  • Options
    i heard there was a test you could do that would test your egg supply and the quality of your eggs, but im not sure i see the point, as it wouldnt change anything if there was a problem
  • Options
    usually doctors and clinics will want you to have been trying for at least a year to 18 months before they will perform tests too, as they reckon the average couple under 30 will take around a year to conceive anyway, obviously this is an average and for some people its less or more etc - the chances of getting pregnant each month statistically vary between 13-25% depending on what you are reading.
  • Options
    your best bet if youre worried about fertility, is to not leave it too late.
    Fertility drops rapidly the closer you get to 30
  • Options
    i know :( this is what worries me but my boyfriend doesn't want children for another few years. i'd happily start trying now.
  • Options
    how old are you
  • Options
    your best bet if youre worried about fertility, is to not leave it too late.
    Fertility drops rapidly the closer you get to 30

lol wish i had a choice
  • Options
    i turn 25 next week. i know i'm probably being silly as i'm still young-ish but my mum had two kids at my age.
  • Options
    i turn 25 next week. i know i'm probably being silly as i'm still young-ish but my mum had two kids at my age.
    My mum is 56 in ten days and I'm 22 (23 in August).

She managed to push two of us out at 33. Don't stress too much.
  • Options
    i'm trying not to but i just really feel as though my body clock is ticking and i'm getting old :( i don't think it helps that i'm feeling super broody and everyone around me is having children. i just feel ready to have my own you know? i have done for a while.

eta: i'm hoping i'm as fertile as my mum. she had little sister when she was 40!
  • Options
    i'm trying not to but i just really feel as though my body clock is ticking and i'm getting old :( i don't think it helps that i'm feeling super broody and everyone around me is having children. i just feel ready to have my own you know? i have done for a while.

wait til every second person is telling you that your biological clock is ticking, that's superfun lol.

remember, if you are under 35, don't smoke, aren't overweight or underweight, eat a nutritionally balanced diet, have lots of fruit and veg, avoid lots of alcohol and exercise moderately you should have as much chance as anybody. Stress can do damaging things to your body physically that you aren't even aware of so try not to.
  • Options
    My mum is 56 in ten days and I'm 22 (23 in August).

She managed to push two of us out at 33. Don't stress too much.

:yes: My mum had twins at 34.
  • Options
    usually doctors and clinics will want you to have been trying for at least a year to 18 months before they will perform tests too, as they reckon the average couple under 30 will take around a year to conceive anyway, obviously this is an average and for some people its less or more etc - the chances of getting pregnant each month statistically vary between 13-25% depending on what you are reading.

Up to 2 years in some places.....
  • Options
    I have a secret fear of being infertile :/

Like for no rational reason except ones similar to yours but there's a niggling fear.

Just thought I'd chime in with some more panic.

:p
    Think we'll be fine tho blah. Heh.
  • Options
    I'd say just get tested. The fear of the possibility of something is far worse than actually knowing there's a problem. If there is a problem, then you can begin to take steps to deal with it. However, just going around worrying about it is mentally straining.

Now, having kids after 30 is quite common and even if you have natural ovulation issues there are treatments to help regulate ovulation and increase chances of successful implantation, etc.

Summing up: go ahead and get tested. Get your peace of mind.
  • Options
    mesmark wrote: »
    I'd say just get tested. The fear of the possibility of something is far worse than actually knowing there's a problem. If there is a problem, then you can begin to take steps to deal with it. However, just going around worrying about it is mentally straining.

Now, having kids after 30 is quite common and even if you have natural ovulation issues there are treatments to help regulate ovulation and increase chances of successful implantation, etc.

Summing up: go ahead and get tested. Get your peace of mind.

it's not that simple - you can't just go and get tested for the sake of knowing, i don't know if you can if you go private but you can't get tested on the NHS unless you have been trying for a set period of time. I doubt you could by going private too, i should imagine they would want you to be actively trying to conceive first.
  • Options
    this thread is going to sound really stupid.

basically, i'm really worried that when i start to try for children, i'll find out i won't be able to get pregnant.

i didn't start my periods until i was 15/16. i started very late. i went on the pill when i was 17/18. when i wasn't on the pill, my periods were all over the show. i didn't have a period every month like i was supposed to. they were really irregular. when i did have them, they were very painful and heavy.

was that normal? i mean, i was in the first few years of starting my period?

i'm really worried that i could have that polycystic ovary syndrome or something. i'm probably being a hypochondriac but it really is something that worries me. my body clock is ticking and i'm just terrified i'm not going to be able to have children. people will probably laugh at me and think i'm being silly but its honestly REALLY worrying me.

as i've said, i've been on the pill since i was 17/18. so since i was 17/18, my periods have been very light, i've had the odd bit of spotting and they have been painless. but periods whilst on the pill aren't real periods right? this is what is worrying me. i don't know whether i have periods or not as i've been having fake ones whilst being on the pill.

i also get worried that i'll have affected my chances from when i was dieting really strictly a few years ago.

i'm just really worried about my fertility. is there any way of testing it?

Hi there, you're not alone, believe me. I had irregular periods when I was 15 and the doctor put me on the pill for a sense of normality and to in theory regulate them. You do not usually ovulate whilst on the pill as it suppresses it. I was on the pill for 9 years and the reason I never came off it earlier was that I was afraid I would be irregular again.

I came off the pill back in May and I was regular, give or take a few days - that was reliving!! Also remember when coming off the pill it can take upto a year to conceive due to your body needing to get bath into a rhythm of ovulation.

It took me 6 months to conceive but unfortunately it resulted in a missed miscarriage. But I'm hoping now that when its right it will happen.

Also with regards to tests, as others have said no doctor will test until at least a year of trying to conceive, and some longer as you have been on the pill.
  • Options