Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dropping out of a Open University Course

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all,

I started a new OU course (Level 1) in October last year. The course finishes May and I have completed 3 TMAs out of 7.

I hate the course and this is beginning to reflect in my assignment scores.

Has anyone here dropped out of a OU course before? And how did you do it?

I have completed other courses (Level 2) with the OU scoring in the top band. I do not need this course to complete my degree.

I am fully funded on the course due to my financial situation. Do you know if I will have pay the money back if I drop out? also will this affect my financial support in the future?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Storall wrote: »
    Hi all,

I started a new OU course (Level 1) in October last year. The course finishes May and I have completed 3 TMAs out of 7.

I hate the course and this is beginning to reflect in my assignment scores.

Has anyone here dropped out of a OU course before? And how did you do it?

I have completed other courses (Level 2) with the OU scoring in the top band. I do not need this course to complete my degree.

I am fully funded on the course due to my financial situation. Do you know if I will have pay the money back if I drop out? also will this affect my financial support in the future?

Thanks for your help in advance.

i dropped out of a open uni course before christmas as was not my thing and was finding it too hard, i just told my tutor that i was finding it too hard and could not carry on, and just stopped the assignments, mine was also funded and did not have to pay anything back.

i understand how hard it is to find a open uni course that you will enjoy and will be able to carry through and finish, as i want to study and because i cant go to college, open uni is my only option but cant find any courses that i want to do or will like and the ones that i do, dont start untll later on in the year
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Storall :wave:

Sorry to hear that the course you were doing with the Open University hasn't worked out for you.

Lots of students find that University isn't what they expected and this can be the same for Open University courses too. Have you thought about changing your course instead of finishing your studies for good?

It's probably best in this instance to chat to your tutor or contact the OU to discuss your situation. I had a quick look at the OU website and it recommends that you chat to someone too, as everyone's circumstances are different. Have a look at their FAQ about changing your mind after registering on a course (sorry can't directly link to it but it's the 10th question down)

I hope this helps, let us know how you get on :thumb:
    LauraO
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you both for your replies.:)

sinead1992 - It's nice to hear from someone who has been in a similar situation. I loved the Psychology courses with the OU and now realise this is the route I want to go. Unfortunately I have now missed the intake for this year. Just to let you know I started a Sociology course with the OU and was not that keen however managed to gain good marks therefore finished the course. I then discovered the Psychology courses and absolutely loved them! So keep going as like me you suddenly discover the study 'route' you want to take ;)

LauraO - Thank you LauraO for the link. It was a very useful article, I am going to phone the OU tomorrow to discuss my options. I did this course as I kept wondering if I should take a different route of study however this has just reinforced my love for Psychology. I still want to continue my degree but this course is just not for me unfortunately.

Thanks again x
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    No worries :) at least this process has made you realise that psychology is what you want to do - it's great that you are passionate about it and you can focus on it now.

Hope the phone call to OU goes well, let us know if you need any further advice :thumb: