Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Minimum alcohol pricing

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I do like these occasional mentions of "stealth" taxes! I usually know where and when and how im being taxed. Like VAT for example, a pretty obvious one ;)

Ok point taken, perhaps stealth tax in this situation was a bit strong, but you have to admit it is a very good way of raising extra tax without really advertising the fact.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I do like these occasional mentions of "stealth" taxes! I usually know where and when and how im being taxed. Like VAT for example, a pretty obvious one ;)

I disagree, I don't think VAT is an obvious tax at all. The more you know about it, the less you know about it.

Take the following list, and tell me which items are taxable and which items are not (bearing in mind that this is a tax for "luxury items":

domestic heating fuel
    mobility aids for the elderly
    car seats, restraints and harnesses for children
    female sanitary products and maternity pads
    aircraft repair and maintenance
    printing
    magazines and newspapers
    books
    flapjacks
    cereal bars

And that's before you get into the really bizarre stuff. Fruit covered in toffee, honey, chocolate or nuts is taxed at 20%, but a toffee apple (or an apple covered in chocolate or nuts) is taxed at 0%- but only if it is on a stick. A bourbon chocolate biscuit is taxed at 0% yet a chocolate digestive biscuit is taxed at 20%.
    Louisek wrote: »
    If the price is raised then the goverment take more in VAT, in my opinion this is no more than a tory stealth tax.

I didn't think that the economics of it were quite that straightforward. The idea is "[to stop] selling drinks for less than the tax paid on them". Now my maths and economics is weak, but that suggests that tax isn't directly proportionate to price - it sounds like you could currently sell a bottle of beer for 30p, yet be forced to pay 45p tax. Ergo, under the new laws you'd be forced to sell the bottle for 45p: no more tax would be raised.

I'm fully willing to accept I've got the concept all back-to-front!
    I didn't think that the economics of it were quite that straightforward. The idea is "[to stop] selling drinks for less than the tax paid on them". Now my maths and economics is weak, but that suggests that tax isn't directly proportionate to price - it sounds like you could currently sell a bottle of beer for 30p, yet be forced to pay 45p tax. Ergo, under the new laws you'd be forced to sell the bottle for 45p: no more tax would be raised.

I'm fully willing to accept I've got the concept all back-to-front!

Ok i am backing down here, i did'nt fully understand the concept.

I will have to find another subject to knock those tory robbers :d
    VAT on school uniform makes me scream.
    Are you sure about that? Children's clothes are VAT exempt.
    Yup, but then when they only make the school jumpers to fit children over the age of about 7 in 'adult' sizes, you have to pay VAT. Absolutely sure, I've argued and stomped my feet but... nothing I can do about it- the uniform has to be bought and the sizes 'are what they are'.