Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's Your Major?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a degree in business.
    History in secondary edjamacation
    zoology
    Ballerina wrote: »
    zoology

Jealous. I always wish I was better at, and more interested in the sciences so I could have gone into that.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    That whilst i have the ability to make people laugh i'm still a wonderful and inspiring human being :thumb:
    Fixed that for you bb :heart:

Anyway, I did English and American Literature with Creative Writing.
    Chemical Engineering.

And I have a BA in it, so nah.

In the UK we do degrees in specific subjects, rather than just degrees in random stuff, so the major thing doesn't really apply.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Personality Disorders And Their Affect On Forums

i almost just fell off my chair.

i'm doing a degree in human psychology with an integrated placement year (if i can get a placement).
    Chemical Engineering.

And I have a BA in it, so nah.

In the UK we do degrees in specific subjects, rather than just degrees in random stuff, so the major thing doesn't really apply.

"Random stuff"?

That's how it works here, too. You take a few general classes, some basic math and English Comp. and stuff, but the majority of your classes are specific to your degree. That's why they call it a "major", it's your focus, the subject you are pursuing.
    "Random stuff"?

That's how it works here, too. You take a few general classes, some basic math and English Comp. and stuff, but the majority of your classes are specific to your degree. That's why they call it a "major", it's your focus, the subject you are pursuing.
    What she means is that we don't do all that extra stuff, generally. We apply to do a specific subject and basically all of our lectures and classes are on that subject.
    i have a degree in law :)
    I have a degree in Computer Science :)
    What she means is that we don't do all that extra stuff, generally. We apply to do a specific subject and basically all of our lectures and classes are on that subject.

Hm, alright. I guess we have some focus on being "well-rounded" or something. xD It's actually probably a good thing, because the public school system leaves a lot of kids who don't know anything when they get out of high school, and could use the extra practice. I think it's good to know a little about a lot of things, not just a lot about one thing. Plus, if not for that, I'd be majoring in English, which was my original plan. I took Cultural Anthropology in my first semester to satisfy part of my social sciences requirement for university, and fell in love. Lots of kids aren't 100% sure what they want to do when they get out high school, and I think taking general classes in a variety of subjects is a great way to figure that out or to find something that you didn't know you'd be interested in.
    According to my lecturers, English Uni students finish their Bachelors better placed for Masters and PhD than our American counterparts but yes, like you say, you get an extra year of being 'well-rounded'.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Glad to see the hostility in this thread has waned! :)

I majored in English literature (in the UK) - and yes we did call it major and minor, and no it wasn't a posh place. :p
    i did a BA in Early childhood and Education Studies
    katralla wrote: »
    According to my lecturers, English Uni students finish their Bachelors better placed for Masters and PhD than our American counterparts but yes, like you say, you get an extra year of being 'well-rounded'.

Not everybody decides to go onto higher education, though. One way may work "better" for things, one may be preferred by some, but there is no need to get snotty over things that are different. I love you girl, but you really do get rude over things like this, especially British/American english. It can be a little offensive to continually read about how one way (the American way) sucks and is wrong.

As for taking "random" classes, I enjoyed it and found it beneficial. I changed my major several times because I realized I didn't enjoy what I was learning, realized that I'd hate any job that came with the subject and what not. Sure, taking math and science seemed pretty useless to me, but now I also am happy that I did have to take them because I know things that I should know, which I never would have had I not taken them, and they are beneficial to me in regular day life and in the job I hope to eventually be in, in a round about unrelated way.

Though, if my education was done in a different country with different ways of doing things, I'm sure my answer would be completly different. Probably that I'm glad I didn't have to waste my time doing useless classes and got uni done with much quicker. Also had more time to focus on the topics I thought was important and useful. I do regret that about my education, I Feel that not enough history classes were required and the uni didn't offer much diversity. I don't have the time or money to take any non required classes so now I go into life unprepared and have to learn much of it on my own.
    I did random classes too- hence my 'Combined Studies' title...

I never said our system was better than yours, no need to get snippy. I do think general classes can be helpful, for the reasons I stated above, but I never said that we were any better than you.
    Actually, the classes I've enjoy the most so far had nothing to do with my major. I do think being forced to do classes like Foreign Language, Art and Music is retarded, but my social science electives are lovely. And my school has a mandatory Speech class, which was probably my favorite class of the semester. Academia is shit though, so eh.
    I did a degree in Creative Writing. We had to do an elective from outside our subject area, and it was the bane of my academic life. Might have been ok if the list you got to choose from wasn't crammed with random shite, and if your grade in aforementioned random shite didn't count towards your final degree classification. Tut.
    I never said our system was better than yours, no need to get snippy. I do think general classes can be helpful, for the reasons I stated above, but I never said that we were any better than you.

Neither did I, so who's being 'snotty'?
    Current Major is Psychology but I plan on changing it back to Theater and transferring to a Film school or an Art to go for what something that will make me happy instead of something that will make me money.
    Neither did I, so who's being 'snotty'?

I said snippy, someone else said snotty. xP

In any case, it sounded to me like you took my "well-rounded" comment as a way of saying that our system is better (it wasn't) and responded with, "Yeah, well, our undergraduate programs leave us better suited for graduate school, so how's that?" I've seen you have a similar attitude elsewhere on the forums, so forgive me if I assumed that it was the case this time.
    Um, no, I didn't respond with "our undergraduate places leave us better suited for graduate school".
    Um, no, I didn't respond with "our undergraduate places leave us better suited for graduate school".

...Then what was this?
    I was reporting what a lecturer had said, (a Canadian lecturer who has studies in Canada, England, and USA), what do you think it is?
    I was reporting what a lecturer had said, (a Canadian lecturer who has studies in Canada, England, and USA), what do you think it is?

Yeah, I got that. Why would you quote them if not to say "apparently we go on to be better-suited for graduate school, as this lecturer has said"? You can't honestly say that you were just making some random statement that clearly had nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
    You're boring.
    ...Okay. But that doesn't really tell me why you posted what you posted, since you say it wasn't an attempt to pwn me by saying that British universities are better.
    If you interpreted my comment as me saying that British universities are better, go ahead, if that were what I had said- would it offend you?