Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's your religion?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    That's my business ;)

Why so mysterious?
    i come from a very christian family but religion has never been forced on me. i have times when i believe in god and times when i don't. i think it's something that changes a lot when you are young, especially when you face difficulties in life. i would class myself as spiritual but not strictly religious.
    Hellfire wrote: »

I usually preach the voodoo gospel in a fashion more akin to this: Funky Nassau
    Unsure of my religion, likely the one my parents fellow. But then I never do any religiouse stuff. So I'm probs atheist. Meh, don't care tbh.
    I am a Catholic, and I think my Church get a very unfair press. I think it is a shame that the UK has become so Godless, because we seem to have exchanged morality and ethics for reality TV and a "me me me, now now now" culture.

Whether you believe in my version of God I don't care, I just think that it's no wonder that so many people are so nihilistic when they don't think there is more to life than the next one night stand.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I consider myself a non-dogmatic christian.
    I am a Catholic, and I think my Church get a very unfair press. I think it is a shame that the UK has become so Godless, because we seem to have exchanged morality and ethics for reality TV and a "me me me, now now now" culture.

Whether you believe in my version of God I don't care, I just think that it's no wonder that so many people are so nihilistic when they don't think there is more to life than the next one night stand.

I agree to some extent, whilst I do not believe in good, I do believe in the morals, ethics and behaviour that many, not just one region integrates in its belief system, the sense of right or wrong and tradition is something religion as a whole tends to do right. Ie love thy neighbour

O just don't have faith in a divine power or preset fate.
    Rc
    You don't need, or have a religion in societies to have and understand good morals.
    Why so mysterious?

Not mysterious, just think religion should be kept personal. I don't see a need to disclose it in this thread - even if it is related.
    I would consider myself somewhere in the 'I don't believe in God, but I do believe in something' camp. I don't really like the idea of organised religion, but I'm not so cynical that I can't see a benefit in believing in something. I would like to think that this isn't all there is to our existence, y'know?
    Perhaps not, but I do think there's a tendency to drift towards the nihilistic without a faith in something more. If there's nothing after death, no greater purpose, what's the point in life?

I think people want there to be more to life than eating, breathing and shagging. As the traditional organised religions have lost numbers, you see increasing numbers of people putting all their faith in crystals, or in astrology, or in sinister sects like Scientology. I wouldn't want to mock someone else's beliefs because I wouldn't want mine mocked, but some of the stuff people find to replace God (of whichever form) is really quite sad, especially all those people stuck in the giant Ponzi scheme that is Scientology.
    I do agree that Catholicism receives very unfair press, but I am interested in hearing why you choose that particular denomination.

By the way, it should be noted that I share the sentiments of many of you that organized religion is a headache. I read a lot and tend to be more well versed than any of the pastors I meet, so I don't attend Church. The Bible does not demand such.

Not to toot my own horn, but as Jessi said, I'm the resident expert on this particular subject, so if anyone is curious about something in particular, feel free to contact me. Genuine curiosity; not "PSH! I BET HE CAN'T TRUMP MYYYYYYY LOGIC!!!111"
    Rc
    Raised Roman Catholic but now an atheist.

Used to be part of the 'must be something bigger than us' camp but not anymore.
    The Bible does not demand such.

Are (all of) the demands of the Bible important to you ?
    Depends which Bible you're referring to. But yes, all of God's words are important to me.
    Depends which Bible you're referring to.

Quite.
    But yes, all of God's words are important to me.

To extend my curiosity, may I enquire which (if any) written words do you consider to be the words of God ?
    All of the canonical Protestant Old Testament. And the following books in the New Testament: Matthew, John, James, 1 Peter, 1-3 John and I'm still conducting research on Revelation.
    Perhaps not, but I do think there's a tendency to drift towards the nihilistic without a faith in something more. If there's nothing after death, no greater purpose, what's the point in life?

I think people want there to be more to life than eating, breathing and shagging. As the traditional organised religions have lost numbers, you see increasing numbers of people putting all their faith in crystals, or in astrology, or in sinister sects like Scientology. I wouldn't want to mock someone else's beliefs because I wouldn't want mine mocked, but some of the stuff people find to replace God (of whichever form) is really quite sad, especially all those people stuck in the giant Ponzi scheme that is Scientology.
    Who says your live has to have a defined purpose? Life is living, living, as natural as it can be, is eating, reproducing then death.
    I'm a Christian. When I go to church it's a Salvation Army one.
    I'm still conducting research on Revelation.

Perhaps you will not believe until it happens ? ;)

i dont see whats so wrong with nihilism tbh
    I'm with Suzy
    If you like it and that's what you want then fine. I'm not sure how many people do want it though.
    I don't think it's a case of 'wanting' anything, more of accepting what there is.
    Too right. I'd suggest that believing something because you don't like the idea of the alternative is a pretty cynical reason to be religious.
    I remember the exact moment I stopped believing in God (I was 6) and it was one of the most mind-blowing experiences of my life, second only to learning how to peel bananas :d

My family is Catholic, and I can't relate to a lot of their beliefs just as they can't relate to mine. My mum can't get her head around the fact that I don't believe in an afterlife, but if anything, it motivates me to try and make the most of everything now - for me, this isn't a dress rehearsal, this is it.

I did live with a girl briefly who told me she doesn't worry about slipping up etc because God will always forgive her in the end. It's been a long time so I don't know if that's actually the case, but it raised my eyebrow, I don't think that's the healthiest way to conduct yourself.
    I find that behaviour rather strange as well, certainly Scripture doesn't say that you will be forgiven in the end. If you screw up and you're really really sorry about it you will be, but if you plough along being a twat without a care in the world then you won't be.

Going to Church and going through the motions won't save you. That's the one key thing that Jesus taught us- being pious won't save you if you don't back your words up with actions.

I don't believe in what I do because "I don't like the alternative", I don't think there is an alternative. I think it is a fact that there is a God and that He created the World. I don't think Genesis is literal, I think it is more allegorical using "a day" to imply a period of development, but I don't for one second think that nothing, literally nothing, magically exploded and became something without involvement from a higher being. Stuff works too well in this world for it to have happened by chance, regardless of what obnoxious oafs like Dawkins try and (abusively) argue.

Other people disagree and I think it is a shame for them, but it is their life and their choice. I'm not particularly interested in a debate on it, because I won't change my beliefs and Dawkins followers won't change theirs.
    I don't for one second think that nothing, literally nothing, magically exploded and became something without involvement from a higher being. Stuff works too well in this world for it to have happened by chance.

That's pretty much why I'm in the 'I believe in something, even if it's not a specific God' camp. Evolution and stuff, yeah, fine, but I can't get my head around the whole Big Bang thing or that everything just HAPPENS to work the way it does without some other involvement from SOMEWHERE.

Plus it's nice to think that I'm not just going to be worm-food when I'm dead.
    Perhaps not, but I do think there's a tendency to drift towards the nihilistic without a faith in something more.

I don't think life innately has a purpose beyond the biological imperative to procreate. If that's what you mean by nihilism then I'm guilty, but I'm not sure it's a charge I should be worried about. If you're going a step further and intimating that a lack of belief in the supernatural leads to less empathetic, moral, caring and conscientious people then I think that's poppy-cock.
    If there's nothing after death, no greater purpose, what's the point in life?

That's a deeply depressing view to take on life. What's exciting about life without one eye on divine parental supervision is that it's what you make of it - you define you own purposes. I think that's more invigorating and fascinating that being beholden to an iron age, desert theology.