Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Camp America

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone done it?

I've had to cancel some of my plans for the summer so I've been looking for something else to do. I've got a bit of experience of working with children / young people... just gotta apply really.

Also did you apply through one of these companies or did you find one and contact them individually? At the moment I've sort of half filled in an application form on BUNAC.

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know 2 guys who have done it, and are doing it again this summer. I asked them and they done it themselves and went direct.
    A friend of mine did it last summer and ended up getting kicked out as she was caught drinking alcohol. She wasn't enjoying it though, she was working with disabled adults and said it wasn't what they made it out to be. But it's probably easier in another type of camp.
    i did it a few years ago, it was amazing and id recommend it to anyone. i applied direct through camp america. what me and my friend actually did was go to one of their camp recruitment days where directors of lots of different camps go along, they usually have them in big cities like manchester etc. you can see what the camps are like for yourself and get hired on the spot if you/they like what they see.
    i did it a few years ago, it was amazing and id recommend it to anyone. i applied direct through camp america. what me and my friend actually did was go to one of their camp recruitment days where directors of lots of different camps go along, they usually have them in big cities like manchester etc. you can see what the camps are like for yourself and get hired on the spot if you/they like what they see.

:yes: :wave:

best thing everrrrrrr!
    we loved it :D
    kezia wrote: »
    :yes: :wave:

best thing everrrrrrr!
    we loved it :D

its really hard though! just because i forgot to mention that...its hard work but the memories and the experience you will have more than makes up for it. plus you'll get a lifelong love of smores like me and kezia did :D x
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    its really hard though! just because i forgot to mention that...its hard work but the memories and the experience you will have more than makes up for it. plus you'll get a lifelong love of smores like me and kezia did :D x

:yes: I did it through CCUSA. It was very hard work in my experience but the stories last a life time! :thumb:

I think Bunac might actually have the best rate of pay, but don't quote me on that. ;)