Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

CV and References

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

In my CV I have the headings:

Career Objective
Key Abilities and Strengths
Technical Skills
Qualifications
Additional Qualifications
Work Experience(which only seems to be made up of Student Exchange Programs)
Interests and Hobbies

Now what I would like to know is if it would be best to combine Key Abilities and Strengths with Profile. To also take out Additional Qualifications and limit my work experience to my last employer which means freeing up some room to add my references ?

Would it be best to add References rather than just putting 'References Available on Request'.

Appreciate feedback

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't need to say anything about references at all.

That should help with space.

If something asks for details of references, stick them in the covering letter.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi MrShyDrops :wave:
    Have you seen our articles about how to write your CV and writing the perfect CV? they both have some helpful hints. You might also find this article about making your CV stand out from the crowd useful too, especially if you are up against a lot of other candidates.

Most advice says that CVs should be no more than 2 pages of A4, so try to stick to this if you can. As Scary Monster says you can put something along the lines of 'References available on request' in order to keep your CV concise if needed.

There is no one correct way to write a CV but instead lots of advice like in the articles above which will help to ensure you include all the relevant information. There are also example templates online that you can look through to get ideas.

Hope this helps you to make some progress with it :)
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice, I did read all those articles and have looked at the examples on reed and Monster.com.

I feel that my problem is a lack of commercial work experience and I am trying to gain experience by volunteering. All my friends mention who their references are and seem to get work, but I just right references available on request and I get know-where, whats more is that most of my references are from people who have left their company or are written from my past courses or american employers.

The relevant fields I am aiming for include IT and administration roles mainly.

Again thanks for your help.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi again MrShyDrops :wave:

It's great to hear that you are getting experience by volunteering - remember to include this on your CV too :)

Writing 'references available on request' would not immediately stop a potential employer from considering your CV, but if you feel this is holding you back then maybe you should write them out.

Employers will tend to look at the rest of your CV e.g. relevant skills, work experience, education, volunteering etc. before looking at or contacting referees. However, your referees do need to be people that can be contacted and can provide you with a reference. If they cannot be reached an employer may ask you to provide another referee.

Therefore it might be worth thinking about some new referees. They are usually employers or ex-employers but you could also get a character reference from someone else as long as they are not family or friends. For example, is there a volunteer manager where you volunteer who would be prepared to act as a referee or an ex-lecturer, tutor or teacher who you could get in touch with?

LauraO
    In my experience, references are seldom included on a CV. If you are invited to an interview, the employer will ask you for details. The really important thing with referees is to let them know that you are job hunting and that they may receive a reference request. A reference is much more likely to be returned quickly if your referee is pre-warned.

Even if you are in employment and don't want your current employer approached before the interview, it really does help your case if you let them know before they receive a surprise request in the post!
    The best way to look at your CV is as an advertisement for you. Your CV should be brief and to the point, covering all the main things that make you the perfect person for the company you're applying to.

Employers will generally only take up references once a job offer has been made. If they take up references beforehand they have to include it in the assessment criteria, which means at least taking references for everyone who is shortlisted. That's a lot of work and usually employers will only take references before shortlisting if you are applying for a sensitive job- I've only ever had references taken up before interview once, and that was for a job with the council providing debt and benefits advice to vulnerable 16 and 17 year olds. Generally they will assess you for the job based on your CV and interview and only take up references if they feel that you're the best candidate for the job.

Space you use up with references is space that could be used to sell yourself instead. Remember that the ideal length of a CV is two sides of A4 in 12 point font, it isn't a lot of room to say everything you want. The last thing you want to do is waste the last ten lines with a referee's address and telephone number.

Also bear in mind that most employers only ask for fairly limited information from referees- many, for lower grade roles, use a pro-forma. They're looking to make sure you did the job you said you did and that you're honest; referees and employers generally won't go into much more detail than that. Most referees take the view that they will only answer questions that they have specifically been asked, especially when that referee is a previous employer.

You are out to promote your skills set, which is why past work experience is so important. Anyone can say that they are excellent at A, B or C, but your work history proves that you are. The last thing you should look at cutting out is your employment history, although do remember to keep it relevant- any voluntary/placement work you've done is relevant, the job you had at Burger King when you were 16 probably isn't.

I'd personally be very wary of going into too much detail about 'career objective', I personally don't think it is relevant at all. If you are too ambitious then you'll talk yourself out of lower grade positions as the employer will see you as someone who'll jump ship at the first opportunity, and if you're not ambitious enough you'll look weak.

Focus on your skill set and remember that hobbies and interests should promote that skill set, e.g. if you enjoy playing team sports that shows you're a team player.
    If they take up references beforehand they have to include it in the assessment criteria, which means at least taking references for everyone who is shortlisted. That's a lot of work and usually employers will only take references before shortlisting if you are applying for a sensitive job- I've only ever had references taken up before interview once, and that was for a job with the council providing debt and benefits advice to vulnerable 16 and 17 year olds.

This is misleading. A number of employers will include a tick box on their application forms, asking whether the applicant minds them asking for references before the interview stage, but it is usually optional. Even if it is required, requesting a reference at shortlisting has nothing to do with the assessment criteria. Employers simply find it useful as it speeds up the process of hiring a new employee after the interview. Using references as part of the selection process is extremely bad practice and, if proven, could land the employer in a tribunal.

Usually, where references have been requested in advance, the HR Department or Recruitment Service will keep them confidential until after the interview results are known, and will then only forward the reference for the successful candidate to the panel.