Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Serious about Working from Home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can't find my previous thread about this subject so I started a new thread.

I was wondering to myself this evening that I could look in to a 'Work from Home' scheme. I have found a 'good one' which doesn't sound like its a scam. They do seminars every month.

I'm thinking about looking more in to it and attending a seminar (earliest one [the closest one] is in March).

I'm considering a 'Work from Home' scheme because as most of you know I work in a place where I won't go any where and I hate the job. I hate standing up all day making my legs worse as I have varicose veins and I suffer from ulcers on my ankles. (I have a 2cm diameter one at the moment!!).

I just think its a right move also because I can't find a new job any where.

What do you guys think? Should I follow my instincts and go for it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If working at home is what you want to do then why not give it a try.

I expect as with a lot of such schemes that it'd involve you paying out for something, though.

Also I doubt that working at home in isolation is going to solve your shyness issues, it'd probably just make them worse.
    Mist wrote: »
    Also I doubt that working at home in isolation is going to solve your shyness issues, it'd probably just make them worse.

Yeah well I am quite sure I won't find any jobs around my area which I'm qualified for.
    What kind of work from home jobs are you looking for? Something with seminars sounds fishy and pymaridy. I don't know how different things are in the UK, but I've known a few people who do full time work as transcriptionists from home or who do the phone answering for infomercials at home as well.
    I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but this sounds just like a scam. Genuine employers won't make you attend 'seminars' in order to enrol on the scheme, they will have a transparent application process.

The latest scam I've seen at work involves 'home working' as a 'consultant'; they overpay you and ask for it back via Western Union and, guess what, the 'overpayment' bounces all the way back to Pluto and you're left out of pocket. Between all the clients I've seen they've probably lost pushing £15k between them. Not bad work.

There's something to be said for going to the seminar and seeing what the catch is, but remember that these fraudsters are extremely charming and personable and they deliberately cook up a 'pressure cooker' atmosphere at the seminar in order to get people to sign up.

Go for it if you really want to, but remember the golden rules:
    • If it looks too good to be true then it's a scam.
    • If you have to pay any money out up front then it's a scam.
    • If you get better rates for recruiting friends then it's a scam.
    • If the words 'Western' or 'Union' ever get uttered then it's a scam.

Don't you live near Skipton, though? I don't see why you can't find work you're qualified for in Leeds, if nowhere else. Even Manchester isn't that far away by car.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: MrFerrari09,

Just wanted to pop by and see if you have seen this article which weighs up the pros and cons of working from home before? It mentions isolation as a disadvantage of working from home, and as Mist says this might not help your shyness, so it's worth thinking it through thoroughly. You might also find this article on direct.gov useful as it includes some information about bogus jobs.

As Arctic Roll points out there are quite a lot of scam working from home opportunities, especially those that ask you to pay money upfront. So make sure you do your research and maybe speak to other people who work for the company first. Attending the seminar will help too.

Working from home can really suit some people, so its just worth really thinking through what you want to gain from a job and what your priorities are and doing your research to make a decision that's right for you.

Good luck :thumb:
    This is the website which I found.

http://www.workathomeuk.com/

Let me know what you think.

As far as I can tell from a brief look - It's 35 pounds just to attend a seminar, which is fairly cheeky. Then it looks like you would be selling weight-loss products, so you'd actually need to be able to sell to people, and you'd probably (although other rules may exist) have to buy the stock, too.

Of course, you might be able to make that work..
    Mist wrote: »
    As far as I can tell from a brief look - It's 35 pounds just to attend a seminar, which is fairly cheeky. Then it looks like you would be selling weight-loss products, so you'd actually need to be able to sell to people, and you'd probably (although other rules may exist) have to buy the stock, too.

Of course, you might be able to make that work..

They also sell nutritional supplements, energy and fitness supplements and nutrition products.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    The fact that you have to pay upfront just for the seminar, as Mist says, is an indication that they may ask you to pay upfront for other things e.g. stock etc. If so this could be difficult if you do not hit your sales targets as you may be loosing out financially.

On this page: http://www.workathomeuk.com/start.html there is an option to speak to someone about the work to find out more. You can email them from here where it says 'click here to request a call back' - it might be worth doing this so you are not charged. If you do choose to call them why not write down a list of all the questions you have before you call so you don't forget anything, and don't commit to anything straight away - give yourself some time to think about it.

Let us know how you get on
    LauraO
    Paying up front? Check.

Unrealistic wages (£30k a year from 15 hours work per week)? Check.

Illiterate website (there not they're)? Check.

No contact details? Check.

No registered company details? Check.

They're a scam. Not even a particularly sophisticated one. It's obvious.
    Paying up front? Check.

Agreed. You'll be very lucky to find anything real or worthwhile regarding working from home.
    Paying up front? Check.

Have you read the ALL of the website Arctic Roll? Because I don't think you have!

They DO have contact details. There is a name of a person and who he is a distributor of, a telephone number and an email address.

I have even found a person on Facebook who is on the testimonials and have sent that person a message to ask if is the 'Real Deal' and not another scam.
    I'm with arctic roll on this one, it is a scam site.
    Isn't Herbalife a legal scheme similar to the Pyramid Scheme, like Amway were?
    Have you read the ALL of the website Arctic Roll? Because I don't think you have!

They DO have contact details. There is a name of a person and who he is a distributor of, a telephone number and an email address.

You're right, they do have a phone number. That doesn't really convince me that this is a great idea, though.
    I have even found a person on Facebook who is on the testimonials and have sent that person a message to ask if is the 'Real Deal' and not another scam.

I would be highly skeptical of anything like that. It could all be faked.
    The domain registration information for that workathome site:

Registrant:
    B.I.G MARKETING
    44 Dover Rd, Walmer
    Deal, KENT CT14 7JW
    UK

Domain Name: WORKATHOMEUK.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    B*********h, M******w
    44 dover Rd, Walmer
    deal, Kent CT14 7JW
    UK
    0*********1 fax: 123 123 1234

Record expires on 07-Aug-2011.
    Record created on 07-Aug-1999.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.DNSEXIT.COM
    NS2.DNSEXIT.COM

and the address it is registered to (thankyou google streetview).

2j4zv3t.jpg

So yes I think it is a scam, its someones house or flat sandwiched between a chinese and a pub.
    MoK wrote: »
    Isn't Herbalife a legal scheme similar to the Pyramid Scheme, like Amway were?

Herbalife is a real brand name for a set of products. Iceland is overrun with people wanting to get rich through it. And yes, it's a pyramid scheme. You pay to become a dealer and get a "discount" of their products and then pay up front for the products from the distributours that you sell on to someone else. Or you can enroll people to sell.

To OP: If you're shy, then make no mistake that this is a pure sales job. I don't know anyone who has been able to make enough money from this product to quit their "real" jobs (and I live where everyone has heard of this brand name). I don't know anyone who buys this stuff from online either, most of the people I know that actually buy the product buy from someone they know. To make steady sales I reckon you need to be somewhat like a used car salesman.

Also, not long ago there was a news report here that some Icelandic doctors wanted to do a research on possible kidney damage caused by some of these products after a few cases of sudden kidney damage which all had Herbalife in common. Helping the local community indeed. :thumb:

Personally, go with Arctic Roll's advice and look for a job in other towns instead.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    So yes I think it is a scam, its someones house or flat sandwiched between a chinese and a pub.

The total wellness centre is the place, that's what it's all forged around. So it's a real building.

I think, having read this thread, that should mr ferrari choose to go to an event, he would be completely sucked in, and most likely end up losing cash.

Wow, a telephone number and an email address! Because they're so hard to cobble together in about 47 seconds. No registered company details, no indication of how the whole thing works at all. But there's someone on Facebook who says they're good, so they must obviously be legit. It wouldn't be that someone in the scam would have a financial incentive to lie to you, would it? Perish the very thought.

If you have to do a WHOIS just to find out where the bloody shop is, you know something is a wee bit amiss.

However this thread proves one thing: there really is one born every minute.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi,

Finding legitimate opportunities to work from home can be difficult, because there are many scams and get-rich-quick schemes that target people looking for this type of work.

However, there are some things you can do to find legitimate opportunities.

There are a few suggestions on Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website. Also, try sites like Mumsnet, where there are regular discussions about opportunities to work from home.

Try obvious places such as Job Centres and shop windows; local, reputable companies may well have opportunities that involve home working. For example, a local doctors or solicitors may well have transcribing opportunities (where you type up dictated letters etc).

Hope this helps...

Olly
    Can't find my previous thread about this subject so I started a new thread.

I was wondering to myself this evening that I could look in to a 'Work from Home' scheme. I have found a 'good one' which doesn't sound like its a scam. They do seminars every month.

I'm thinking about looking more in to it and attending a seminar (earliest one [the closest one] is in March).

I'm considering a 'Work from Home' scheme because as most of you know I work in a place where I won't go any where and I hate the job. I hate standing up all day making my legs worse as I have varicose veins and I suffer from ulcers on my ankles. (I have a 2cm diameter one at the moment!!).

I just think its a right move also because I can't find a new job any where.

What do you guys think? Should I follow my instincts and go for it?

I am condisdering workng from home aswell, as it is already hard to find a job at the moment, as with the added complication of my health conditions, no employer with give me a chance, like a job trail that only lasted a day as she had a go at me for not working fast enough when i have problem doing with with my hands like pain and tremors and had me doing me doing things that made my condtions worse and never bothered to ask if i had any health problems.

I worked from home before with avon which didnt work out as they charged me too much for stock and gave me a really bad area and all the money went to them so had to over £70 before i made any profit. but it has not put me off as i know all scheme are not like that. I already own my chairty, so i will be looking to do a work from home scheme then eventually open my own business. and with my complex health, working from home appeals to me more as i know what i can do and cant
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    2j4zv3t.jpg

It's so much of a scam that they've had to put a red force field around the door to stop angry punters breaking in and demanding their money back :o

Don't bother with it, a waste of time & money. I looked into these schemes a while back to see if there's good money to be made (generally there isn't) and I remember that "company". They continually change the name to evade te bad press they receive but the layout and content remains almost unchanged. Steer clear.

There's no quick and easy way to make good money with schemes like this - if there was, everyone would be doing it. If you're intent on trying this shit, do some research first - you can find reviews and recommendations so at the very least you won't be getting fleeced at every turn.
    confident on the phone? You could try being a sex chat operator?
    katralla wrote: »
    confident on the phone? You could try being a sex chat operator?
    :thumb: :heart: