Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job satisfaction/average pay vs Boring job/pretty good pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are peoples views on that? I'm currently applying my ass of at the moment for jobs. I've been doing temp jobs here and there for a while now but im thinking about looking for a more permanent "career" based job based on my degree.

Anyway i dunno which route to take. There are a few jobs i've been looking at which look like fun and where i would get more job satisfaction i reckon. There are possibilities for job progression further down the line but the pay is pretty average. Its not terrible by any means but its not as much as what i could get for other graduate jobs.

The other graduate jobs ive been looking at are training schemes. Much better paid but all seem very general and im just not feeling it, hard to explain but they just seem like jobs i would get easily bored with. Pretty vague i know but thats the general jist of it.

What would people go for?

P.s thought i might add, i dont know for sure that i will have job satisfaction or hate the jobs, its just the general feeling i get about them :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Apply for all of them and see what you can get.

It's not a graduate market for choosers.
    Money pays the bills but satisfaction and enjoyment get you out of bed in the morning - at least that's my experience.
    My aim was a job that pays enough for me to lead the kind of life I want to live.

So the current one isn't as much fun as some of the others out there, but is more predictable and won't send me to the arse end of nowhere anywehere in the world for 6 weeks with zero notice.

But it pays more and has better working hours than some of the other options I looked at.

Like others have said though, apply for everything and see what you get. Generally graduate schemes are well structured with good training and roles available in them, so even if you're not loving every second of it doing one for a few years will put you in a good position to look for another job.
    Thank everyone, good tips :) I've been thinking about the better paid jobs i was looking at, they seem better paid but the majority of them are based in London so i guess there is a London weighting involved in the salary. I'm guessing its expensive to live down in London so the salary probably works out the same in some respects.

But yeah cheers, i'm gonna just apply to everything and see what happens :)

So the current one isn't as much fun as some of the others out there, but is more predictable and won't send me to the arse end of nowhere anywhere in the world for 6 weeks with zero notice.

Well to be fair they gave me slightly less than two months notice, and I'm there for 2 months :)
    This would have been more like 'You're on the 0855 flight tomorrow morning' kind of thing.
    Go for the money.
    Yes sir.
    This would have been more like 'You're on the 0855 flight tomorrow morning' kind of thing.

Oh we've had guys that get put on 24 hours notice to move to a warzone before :)
    Advice to students: Leap in and try things. If you succeed, you can have enormous influence. If you fail, you have still learned something, and your next attempt is sure to be better for it. Advice to graduates: Do something you really enjoy doing. If it isn’t fun to get up in the morning and do your job or your school program, you’re in the wrong field.

:yes:
    I have a 1st class with honours degree in Forensic Chemistry and was offered a job with a starting salary of £50,000 pa...

However, i turned it down because the subject area didn't interest me by the end of university. I'm now earning a tad over £20,000 pa in the RAF and enjoying every minute of it!

Confucius once said: "Chose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life"
    Meh, go for the money!
    I think other things like what type of clothes you have to wear and weather there is flexi time or not and the amount of holiday you get should also be taken into consideration.

Personally i wouldn't take a job that didn't let me wear what i wanted (and leave it up to me to decide what is a appropriate) and let me come and go when i wanted within reason as long as i put the right number of hours in and where i got at least 25 days holiday.
    Take whatever job you can get. Job satisfaction is nice, but this is the real world. Lots of us are doing jobs we dont really like to get by.

I am a big believer in 'things happen for a reason'. considering your current situations I would take whatever job comes along first and play it from there. Thats what i did and things have worked out quite well for me.
    As you don't have a job at all, I'd say that you should just apply for everything and see what happens.

If you're lucky and everyone c omes back to you, I'd really say that you should do the job that you think you will enjoy. I've done work I enjoy and work that pays more and, trust me, doing something you enjoy wins hands down. Wanting to go to work is worth five grand a year, if not more.
    id go for the most money, unless it was something i REALLY hated.
    Get a job, then worry about the right Job.

Go for the money as while you can buy your entertainment outside of work a job you love will - likely as not - change into one you don't.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Get a job, then worry about the right Job.

Go for the money as while you can buy your entertainment outside of work a job you love will - likely as not - change into one you don't.

thats very very true
    I don't really agree, to be honest. I think it's a very jaundiced view of the world.

As you don't have a job at all you can't be choosy, so apply for everything, but I don't agree that money is more important than enjoying your work. Dreading getting out of bed on a Monday morning isn't worth the extra cash, providing the money you're earning is enough to pay the bills.

Of course in an ideal world the job you enjoy is also the highest paying, but that doesn't always work out. I wouldn't go and work for my previous employer for all the tea in China, even though they do pay pretty good wages compared to the wider market in my sector. Sure, I'd love my current employer to pay me more money, and to stop being run by an asshat, but I love my job and the kids I work with.
    Like job enough to not mind getting out of bed to do it.

Pays enough to pay the bills and in an ideal world leave enough left over for soem fun.
    If your job is something you'd happily do for free, for the number of hours a week you'll have to do it then you can not worry about the money, in all other circs- go for the money!
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    definitely interesting job, okay pay. I would never do such a boring job again...
    i had a job lastg year but had to give it up coz i had more important things to deal with like getting on with my mc'in. the job was in a factory and paid 6.10 for 12hr days i quit after 4 days. my mate is trying to hook me up with a sick job at currys which i might do coz i like stereo systems and pc's.
    i had a job lastg year but had to give it up coz i had more important things to deal with like getting on with my mc'in. the job was in a factory and paid 6.10 for 12hr days i quit after 4 days. my mate is trying to hook me up with a sick job at currys which i might do coz i like stereo systems and pc's.

Well good luck and I hope you get it, it is always good to be in a job that you have a good interest in.
    If you can get job satisfaction AND earn enough to get by without struggling, then go for job satisfaction. Doing something you hate but having a load of cash for it isn't worth it, considering the little time you have to enjoy it.
    money = enjoyment
    katralla wrote: »
    money = enjoyment

spending 40-60 hrs a weeks doing a job you hate = spending most of your life doing something you hate.

i'd rather have enough to get by with the basics and my necessary luxuries doing something i can enjoy or at least tolerate than force myself through 60 hours of penitence a week.
    I'd rather a job I'd absolutely enjoy with sufficient pay + good prospects. For ages, I've always wanted to join the Army because their lifestyle is attractive. Getting out there and doing things, travelling, good mates, and so on. Of course, until you're a few ranks up the scale, the pay isn't good and of course there's negatives like being more likely to be killed, getting bossed around, etc. But I'd think it was worth it. I'm not sure if I'd get in now, though, with a history of mental health problems, though someone from RAMC told me that if I was a good enough applicant, I could probably get a proper psychiatric assessment to deem me suitable to serve or not. Besides that, I've also seen the Police as quite an attractive career option too. I know they're a bit hated, but they get good pay (sort of?) and their job is also full of variety.

I just don't really want a job where I'll be ultra bored and stressed by the time I finish. My brother has a job with good pay and he comes home from work every evening stressed, depressed and moany. I don't know, I mean if I had to, I wouldn't say no, but life is too short for that crap.
    id get a certain amount of enjoyment just from knowing the ££££s were rolling in
    Meh, it aint all that.