Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Health forms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This question tends to come up a lot....

"Have you ever had a nervous breakdown or required psychiatric treatment? Details if yes"

Usually I choose yes and write details but a lot of the time it seems to cause problems and I was wondering if the wording of the question means I could put no and not jeopardize the postion/role/job that I am applying for.

I've only had a psychiatric assessment with CAMHS and 2 short lived periods of counselling. (One when I was 11 which was one session, and another when I was 16/17 which was 3 sessions).

Reckon I can get away with no?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I reckon you could- the way I see it is if nothing came out of the assessment with CAMHS then you haven't had treatment with them.

And counselling, I reckon you could not count that, as you can have counselling for a variety of things can't you it? ie marriage, mental wellbeing, drug abuse, past traumas etc. So unless it was counselling for a nervous breakdown I reckon those few sessions don't have to count.

That's how I would interpret the question anyway.
    I'd say that your answer would be "no".

You haven't had Psych treatment and you what you describe isn't a breakdown.
    I was on antidepressants for around a year... (I actually didn't think of that when I wrote the post.....) butttt that was treatment from my GP. Still an issue?
    I'd still say no. The definition of "psychiatric treatment" is that it uses physcological means and that using anti-depressant drugs is a pharmacological treatment.

(source: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Psychiatric+treatment)
    I was on antidepressants for around a year... (I actually didn't think of that when I wrote the post.....) butttt that was treatment from my GP. Still an issue?

Nope. You can get them for anxiety.

They are really asking if you have had any really serious mental health issues here. I don't think what you have described really counts in their eyes.
    Unless your application for the position would be benefited by personal experience of mental health issues put no. Fuck those token bastards :p
    It depends on where you're applying as to how important it is.

With my current employer I'm registered as disabled because of stress-related depression in my last job (I had a lot of sick leave and had to explain it) but when I apply for new jobs I generally don't say I've had treatment. I did for one job at x University and I was rejected on fairly spurious grounds, so I won't do that again.

"Nervous Breakdown" and "psychiatric treatment" are such vague terms as to be meaningless. I was an outpatient for three years but don't see it as psychiatric treatment- I was never sectioned.
    Sounds good - thanks for the help guys. :)