Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

CV and relevance of some information

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just spending a couple of minutes going over and updating my CV. Well what I'm really doing is starting a template from afresh, as I have always seemed in the past to create a new CV (using info from an older one) and then spam it out to firms.

I have been gainfully employed in the same job for a while now so I have not touched a CV for ages. I'm right this minute doing like a whole CV just for this job (as part of a personal developement record) and this specific job CV can be used as a "if further information is required on this employment".

My main generic CV is currently taking hold, and with the intent that I can literally add more to each section as and when I need it (if i switch jobs in future).

FINALLY THE MAIN POINT OF THIS POST:
When going over previous jobs from say 2002/2003 would you go into much detail other than the dates you worked there and your job title, and roles and duties if not blatantly obvious (eg barman)

Heading onto more detailed the more recent the job or if it is something that isnt generic like a bar job.

Anybody got any idea of how to approach this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Only if it shows a skill relevant to the position your targeting your CV towards. I think people who read CVs probably appreciate brevity, so unless it makes you more favourable candidate I would say leave it out.
    Perhaps put in a line like

Generic Leisure Ltd
    Bar Supervisor
    March 2005 to December 2006
    when i was job hunting a few months ago i sent my cv to a cv writing firm which had a free feedback thing - they said that you should only put the last 8 years of work and to put your key achievements for each job rather than a description of what you did.
    I imagine that by the time I might actually need the CV, I won't have done any other jobs for at least about 10 years :)
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi G-Raffe,

Have you seen this article: Writing the perfect CV which I just linked to whilst responding to another post. There is a section in it entitled 'Employment History' which I think will help with your question :)

Laura
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I imagine that by the time I might actually need the CV, I won't have done any other jobs for at least about 10 years :)

Then just put your last 4 or 5 jobs - plus if you've done different rolls within the same company then you need to add those as separate jobs.