Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Renting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am looking to rent an apartment, i want my boyfriend to move in with me but i only want the tenancy agreement to be in my name as it will be my place, do i have to tell the letting agency know? And if so will he have to be credit checked etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If he is living there then you would really have to have him on the tennancy agreement. If the landlord or letting agency found out about it, you could be in breach of contract more than likely.

The other main thing is that if you list yourself as being the only resident there, most councils will do a 25% reduction on council tax, if your other half is living there too and you don't declare it, then you are committing fraud.

I presume he may well be credit checked if you tell the letting agency about him, and if you do they will more than likely want him to be on the agreement. However as I've mentioned above, there are many problems if you don't mention him yet he lives there. If he does pay rent to you and he isnt on the agreement, they could even class that as sub letting which is specifically not allowed in most letting agreements.
    Hmm i don't know if he would pass the credit check and it's me that is going to be paying the rent. I haven't asked an agent yet as i don't know where i am moving too currently. I just wondered if he could be somewhere in my agreement but not responsible for the financial side of it.
    I'd imagine it would be pretty standard for one person in a couple to be responsible for the rent. The case of couples where one works and one stays at home springs to mind.

If you want to be solely responsibile for the tenancy then that shouldn't be a problem, as long as he's not paying you rent for living their with you (that would be subletting) and the landlord/agent are aware that you'll be co habiting rather than a single occupant.
    Most people if they are aware of someone living there will ask that all inhabitants are on the tenancy agreement. He could technically "visit" a lot, but as for properly living there, it is a risk you have to be willing to take.

Is it not worth him getting his credit rating sorted? Plus if you had someone acting as a guarantor for you, then he might be able to be on the agreement with you.
    Hiya,

There are many reasons for not wanting a joint tenancy. There shouldn't be any problems with your boyfriend living with you but not being part of the tenancy agreement itself.

Just let the agency that you go ahead with know that your boyfriend will be living with you, so that his name can go on the tenancy agreement.

Your boyfriend shouldn't be asked to take a credit check too as the agreement is with you (not him). You will have to conform with the credit check however, and this may mean that a guarantor is needed, as G-Raffe has also mentioned.

If you're still unsure about things, please call Shelter's helpline on 0808 800 4444. They can offer you advice from an experienced housing adviser. Their opening times are 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and8am-5pm Saturday-Sunday.

I hope this helps. :)
    L1ttleOne wrote: »
    Hiya,

There are many reasons for not wanting a joint tenancy. There shouldn't be any problems with your boyfriend living with you but not being part of the tenancy agreement itself.

Just let the agency that you go ahead with know that your boyfriend will be living with you, so that his name can go on the tenancy agreement.

Your boyfriend shouldn't be asked to take a credit check too as the agreement is with you (not him). You will have to conform with the credit check however, and this may mean that a guarantor is needed, as G-Raffe has also mentioned.

If you're still unsure about things, please call Shelter's helpline on 0808 800 4444. They can offer you advice from an experienced housing adviser. Their opening times are 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and8am-5pm Saturday-Sunday.

I hope this helps. :)
    Yeah thanks for the info.

I viewed a apartment tonight and the guy showing me round was saying something similar :)