Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hair Colour

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of getting my hair professionally dyed a nice dark red/auburn colour.

I've dyed my hair myself a couple of times, just with 3-5 washes ones, but my hair's really dark brown, almost black in colour, and so I find it makes little difference or goes more a purple colour than red.

So I was thinking of shelling out £30 or so, and going to a good hairdressers like Tony and Guy, and getting it done in semi-permanent. As someone who's only ever gone to the hair-dresses for a trim and a couple of layers, this is all fairly new to me! Do you think it's worth trying semi-permanent myself? I'm just slightly scared it'll go too purple/black and I'll hate it! If I can chat it over with someone, who knows what the colour will come out like on my hair, I'll feel a bit better! Also, do I go in before to have a chat with the hairdresser and choose my colour, or does that just all happen in one session?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if your hair is nearly black, nothings going to show without pre-lightening your hair, which wrecks the condition (even at the hairdressers), so think carefully.
    it would also likely cost you a lot more than £30.
    you wouldnt even get a haircut for that at T&G
    yeah just to echo what suzy said, its more likely to cost you £100+ if you go to toni and guy. plus i dont even think its worth it there, they just go off their name it doesnt mean they have the best hairdressers ever. id go off recommendations from your friends, if any of your friends always have lovely hair you could ask them where they go? most places will have some form of consulation with you. you could usually go in for a chat withh them, then book the appointment if you like what you hear. it doesnt have to happen all on the day.:)
  • FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Hi there, if you're not sure what to do for the best with your hair, why don't you ask the hair dresser for a consultation before you actually go for the appointment. Many good hair dressers offer this kind of service for free. Even if they don't you can always pop in and ask if they mind giving you some advice then go to a few to see if the advice is the same. Good luck with it, I'm sure whatever you decide to do it will look great.
    £30 aint gonna do it most decent hairdressers, and believe you me, if your hair is black and you want it lightening to a red, you NEED a good hairdresser.

mine was dark and they lifted it with a kind of bleach wash, then put the colour on.

you can ring most places and go in for a free consultation if you ask for it, so i'd recommend doing that. :)