Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Deal Scheme

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Just looking for some information really. I am 28 and I am on the new deal scheme. I have found a volunteering position which I would like to do and have a meeting set up with them tomorrow, It's as a political assistant and my question is:

If I do volunteering work does that mean my money i get every fortnight gets stopped ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Nah. I was on New Deal in 2003, aged 24, and I was still collecting JSA. I might have to start New Deal soon because I'm at the 6-month mark :-(
  • Options
    They're sending me on it again in the next few weeks ¬_¬.

Your money won't get stopped. That is the whole point of new deal, to get people experience, whist it is free for the employers. All it means is you won't spend your time sitting in places like A4E, TNG. You will go onto placement almost instantly.

Also, just so you know, if you work in your own volunterry placement, you only have to work there one day a week, and they can't stop your money. If you go with TNG/A4E through the new deal scheme you do it for 5 days a week.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi MrShyDrops,

There are no restrictions on volunteering whilst on benefits; providing that you are still actively seeking and available to work, and that you are only receiving expenses at cost, and not expenses that could be classed as payment.

More details here:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Gettinginvolvedinyourcommunity/volunteering/DG_064299

As it says on that page, if you are unusure have a chat with your benefits advisor - although be warned that there is confusion even within the JobCentrePlus office as to the rules on volunteering whilst on benefits.

(There is a more lengthly guide on the Volunteering England website)

Sounds an interesting volunteering role.

Olly

PS. These rules apply in England only, if you live in one of the other nations, it is worth checking with the relevant Volunteer Development Agency.
  • Options
    Hi,

First thanks for all your advice, second I think it may differ depending on where abouts you are in the country.

I went and spoke to my advisor a couple of days ago and she says I can only volunteer up to the maximum of 16hrs per week.

Then in June if I cannot find work I will be put on one of these Training schemes for approximately 30+hrs a week called Sencia. Now I am a lot older now, but I did one of these schemes when I was 19 but that didn't help me find work and also some of the work experience they are offering is not in my career sector.

I have tried everything to find work, but all I seem to come across is businesses with arragant attitudes like 'Junior person wanted' or you must have at least '6 Months - 1yrs commercial experience' before you can even get an interview ??
  • Options
    It's going to be the same up and down the country because they're all paid for in partnership by the government, they're just different companies and groups - same purpose.
  • Options
    new deal

am just starting new deal got letter with p.45 saying im off job seekers get £15 week from new deal wheres the rest of my money ? am confused:confused:
  • Options
    Hi there brian22,

I understand you have a query about the New Deal scheme, however, this thread is really old and the user probably doesn't want it to be brought up again after such a long time has passed.

I'm going to close this thread now, but you can start a new thread with your query and someone will get back to you soon.

:)
This discussion has been closed.