Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bitmap Vs Vector Essay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I need to right an essay on the differences between bitmap and vector images and the advantages and disadvantages of both.
But Im completely computer illiterate. I can surf the net and use microsoft word but anything more advanced than that just completely stumps me.
Ive searched on google but everything Ive found seems quite technichal and doesnt make much sense to me.
I was hoping someone here might be able to put it in to laymans terms, as quite a few of you seem to be rather good at computers.
Any help would be much appreciated. :) Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How old are you? What subjec is the essay for? How long is it supposed to be?
    Am 19. Its for my digital imaging class. Im doing a fashion and textiles course at college and this is the only class we have involving computers. Usually I would ask my tutor but we dont really have a tutor for it, we got a list of things to do and just have to work our way through them. Its not long really, just 500 words. But I have some problems processing new information, and technical jargon makes it harder.
    If someone explains that for you here then they're basically writing the essay for you, and you learn nothing. I'm not sure what you mean by "not really having a tutor". It seems to me that, if you've been set a certain question, the assumption would be that you've covered the basics needed to provide some kind of answer to it.
    Simply put, Vector graphics are good for things that can be described mathematically - patterns, diagrams, man-made objects; bitmaps are good for copying something from real life
    You would think so wouldnt you. We are supposed to have a tutor for that class but because of budget cuts they had to cut the amount of contact hours we get. So on paper we have a tutor, but we never actually get to see him. If you must know, we had a much simpler version of the class last year. So Im guessing its assumed that we learned the skills in that class, but we didnt. We had one of those tutors where if we got stuck she would come over and do it all herself without actually explaining anything. So we passed, but didnt learn anything. And I would have put all this in the first post but I didnt think it was necassary. I have tried to figure it out myself but it just doesnt seem to register in my brain. Its very frustrating.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Simply put, Vector graphics are good for things that can be described mathematically - patterns, diagrams, man-made objects; bitmaps are good for copying something from real life

ok thanks. That will definately help me get started. :)
    Intro
    Point 1
    Point 2
    Point 3
    Conclusion

Intro- what you're about to say (you can write this last)
    point 1, the pros and cons of vector
    point 2, the pros and cons of bitmap
    point 3, when the two are used together
    conclude - think of a conclusion

couple of references eg
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VVVVkm9G5jgC&pg=PA447&dq=vector+bitmap&hl=en&ei=OsEUTZaHIMuZhQfH3YW5Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=vector%20bitmap&f=false

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X3_CiamQnpcC&pg=PA2&dq=vector+bitmap&hl=en&ei=OsEUTZaHIMuZhQfH3YW5Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=3&ved=0CD0Q6wEwAg#v=onepage&q=vector%20bitmap&f=false
    I agree with Big Gay,

Also, explain that the hassles of large bitmap files are reduced by compressed image formats like JPEG.
    ... but then you get into the different strengths and weaknesses of compression methods, whether they are lossy or not, whether the technical definition of lossy is understood by anyone...
    I do, I do! Well, in the most cursoy sense.
    Hey, so its been quite a while now since this thread but I only just realised that I forgot to say thanks for all the advice, it really did help. I know, Im a dope lol.

So thanks everyone. I managed to get my essay completed and emailed off. Now I just need to wait and see.