Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do the police make you feel safe, do you trust them?

1235»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    probably. Now, comment on the OP's question please- do the police make you feel safe?

Are you talking to me?
    yes
    Spliffie wrote: »
    Are you talking to me?

Are you a taxi driver ? ;)
    c'est a moi tu parles
    ;)
    c'est a moi tu parles
    ;)

A cunning linguist ?
    Are you a taxi driver ? ;)

No, but I have tried acting well hard in front of my mirror on more than one occasion.
    je parle francais un peu, un petit peu, et toi?
    yes

No they don't make me feel safe, nor do I trust them having been assaulted by police officers in the past. Bullies who need the uniform in order to intimidate, most of them.

I'd much prefer we returned to a Hobbesian state of nature so I could force other people (especially the ex-police officers) to give me all their posessions & women under threat of a coshing and live like a muthafuckin' pimp-king.

ACAB :yes:
    Um, I would be wet now, except- I need to 'google' or need you to explain what a Hobbesian state of nature is...
    and ACAB?
    katralla is googling, katralla likes, katralla wets up.
    katralla reads further and screams. Are you trying to wind me up Spliffie?
    katralla reads further and screams. Are you trying to wind me up Spliffie?

What did you read that made you scream, my little munchkin?
    munchkin, yeah yeah. Katralla got annoyed to the point of screaming over the shit she be readin' over t'webs. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH so, like, the social existing only within what has been socially conditioned to be understood. Is that not similar to queer? The arguements about whether one cane have an opinio no outside of the system within which ones opinios were formed, and then, by extension a gender outsidfe of the system of genders in which ones own identity was formed.

And then, from that, the freakin' sex. Like, the sex of m-f doesn't exist as a category outisde of a discourse that considers bodies to be sexed along a m-f axis, which doesn't mean that bodies ARE sexed along a m-f discourse, merely that people who belive that there is a m-f bodily divide would then divide bodies and peoiple along/across? a m-f divide.

And then, once those bodies have been divided, the gendered identities are 'suppose' to follos...
    um, and clit off- don't call me mu8nchkin!
    Take this thread to Cuba!!

(ACAB - always chewing a brick?)
    um, and clit off- don't call me mu8nchkin!

I beg your pardon, katralla!

*throws myself before your feet and grovels shamelessly*

Btw...can I have my balls back now please?
    no
    no

Why not?
    Why would anyone want to live the Hobbesian way. No government, no laws, no society. No thanks. He didn't even agree with it.

Men (and women) need to govern or be governed. Yes some to less extent than others, but the natural order of things is a social hierachy with rules and laws, either written or unwritten. Just look at Monkeys, some species of monkey even have "police" monkeys who maintain order in the group.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Men (and women) need to govern or be governed.

You may have the need to be in one those binary positions: a serf or a dictator. But I don't desire to be either. If left unsupervised I'd probably just do more of what I do now - maybe with more wanking.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You may have the need to be in one those binary positions: a serf or a dictator. But I don't desire to be either. If left unsupervised I'd probably just do more of what I do now - maybe with more wanking.
    You might, but the guy who wants your money and doesn't have any problems with killing you and your entire family to get it would do so if unsupervised. And if asked, he'd say the same thing you did.
    You might, but the guy who wants your money and doesn't have any problems with killing you and your entire family to get it would do so if unsupervised. And if asked, he'd say the same thing you did.

Thank you for the explanation as to how the current State of supervised money taking was arrived at (no killing necessary). ;)
    Spliffie wrote: »
    As a general rule,

Burgers King near a university - not so thick staff.
    Burger King nowhere near a university - ever so thick staff.
    You've worked in Burger King too and are speaking from experience?

Welcome to the club :)
    Namaste wrote: »
    You've worked in Burger King too and are speaking from experience?

Welcome to the club :)

Oh no, fuck no, I merely went through a Burger King phase and dined in that establishment with some regularity.
    Namaste wrote: »
    I've working in Burger King and the people there weren't 'thick'.
    That was my point.

I did say to different levels of extent. Most of us can get by with minimal interaction from those in power.

You might be happy just being left alone, but you really have a high opinion of people if you think they will just leave you alone without some semblance of order or risk of punishment if they do something to you.

And once they've stolen all your stuff and beaten you half to death, what then? There aren't any hospitals because in your "utopia" there isn't any government around to build and maintain them. There aren't any local doctors with any real skills because the institutions that trained them no longer exist.

Humanity and society on it's current level without governance and order, and people who can effectively govern and maintain that order will never survive. Maybe if the world ends and we're reduced to pre-historic levels of population it would work. But if you think 70 million people can just "get along" without anyone telling them what to do, or to look after them when they get sick e.t.c. then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    That was my point.

lolz

Namaste, self pwn!

tee hee hee
    Well, I don't know where this debate has winded up now, but I do generally respect and trust most police officers, and trust me, I had quite a bit of involvement with them throughout 2010. My experiences were mainly mixed, though. I was detained in August (long story, but it isn't what it sounds like) and the officers were mainly polite to me. Sure, they were rough in regards to restraint, but the main policeman went out of his way to be nice to me and make sure I was okay and chat to me and stuff. As was this policewoman. However, they kept an officer in the cell with me who was an absolute b*tch towards me.

On another occassion, I was given a lift home off the police. I had no choice in it, as strange as it sounds, but it might have been because I was only 17. Those two officers were extremely pleasant towards me, as well. Last month, I was stop-searched because I was out late at night in a hoodie listening to my iPod, he was a right dickhead towards me if I'm honest. He just pulled up next to me and asked me where I lived, and when I asked why, he got angry with me. In a round-about way, he accused me of having drugs on me because I had "nervous speech". He and his colleague got out of the van and shined a torch where I was just sitting and he made me put my hands against the van so he could search me. Little explanation was given to me at all and I later learned that they're supposed to give you some sort of written document if they stop-search you like that.

So yeah. Pretty mixed. But I do think most police officers are nice people who have a passion for their jobs. I believe the idiots are the minority, but unfortunately, they're very much there.