Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Potty training

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My sons 2 and 2 months, i have a week and a half of work next week so im going to try to potty train him best i can...

Any tips?

My plan is to leave him nappy free and try to get him to the potty when he starts to go?

he knows when hes nappy needs changing, he pinches his nose once hes had a poo to show me hes done a smelly poo haha :d :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i did the nappy free thing at home too. Expect to have to keep your eye on him all the time for the first day or two. You cant really even leave the room or go on the computer or anything because you need to be constantly looking for signs hes about to go, and then rushing him to the potty. Once hes done it once or twice, then he "should" get the idea, and itll be easier. Catching the first one is the hardest.
    Positive praise - really over the top praise for successes, and ignore any accidents.
    I still used pull ups when out and about at first and just did potty training when in the house for the first few weeks/months, and gradually he "should" start keeping the pull ups dry or asking to go to the potty when out.
    I found the potette travel potty really useful for out and about too.

If he doesnt get it at all within the first few days, then id stop and leave it another month or two. Hes still very young. Boys quite often dont get the concept till nearer 3. The fact hes aware that hes been is encouraging. Does he show signs when hes about to go, or is it just afterwards?

If theres no success, dont be disheartened, because times when there is upheaval and change of routine is not always the best time for training and that could mean christmas celebrations, but if you dont get lots of opportunities, then its worth a shot.
    Hi Suzy, you really are the Mother of Invention :cool:

He doesn't really show signs beforehand, just during, because he strains his little face :d and breathes louder...

Ill give it a go, i wasnt sure when is the "normal" age to stop using a nappy so hearing around 3 means that i should be able to be more vocal with him at that stage as well...

:thumb:
    Hi Suzy, you really are the Mother of Invention :cool:

well both my boys were around 3 when they trained, and my daughter was 26mths, but i thought that was quite early. it was helped by her brother only being 11mths older than her and potty training - she soon wanted all the praise he was getting and just pretty much trained herself.

To see if hes ready, he needs to be verbal enough to ask for the potty or to tell you he needs to go. He needs to be able to pull up and down his own pants, and he needs to show a desire to be clean.
    Do you have a potty around the house? Does he show an interest in it?
    arrrgghh - my baby wants to use a potty and gets the general idea but is too young - she is only 15 months but keeps on sitting on them and going wee wee and then nothing either because she is usually wearing her nappy or when she's not getting upset because she doesn't magically wee.

I wasn't planning on training her for months/years yet - but do you think i should give it a go as she is so obsessed.

She also give us a warning of doing a poo about 50% of the time by either saying poo poo or funny tummy....
    i would take her nappy off in the house and give it a go if shes showing interest.
    yes the girl she is looked after with has just been potty trained which is where she gets the general idea from - i might do it when its a bit warmer but i think is should probably capitalise on the interest!
    ive known of several that were trained by 18mths, so 15mths isnt a million miles away
    some people start potty training from birth
    some people start potty training from birth

:eek2:

It's better to concentrate on one end at first, instead of both at the same time.
    Melian wrote: »
    :eek2:

It's better to concentrate on one end at first, instead of both at the same time.
    It's really a personal preferance and until one is a parent i don't think it is something you can easily judge. Before i had mine i swore they'd be potty trained before 18months, but i got lazy. On the other hand my husbands cousin had her nanny train one of hers from birth, by 9months the little girl would wait until she got home to go to the loo. She obviously couldnt take herself off to the loo or verbally communicate that she needed to go but she was essentially trained.
    There's a little girl at my baby group who was potty trained at 12 months. She signs when she needs the loo. Not sure it's something I could do, but it's pretty impressive!
    it must be pretty full on to do it. im not sure it would fit in with my (lazy) parenting style

To see if hes ready, he needs to be verbal enough to ask for the potty or to tell you he needs to go. He needs to be able to pull up and down his own pants, and he needs to show a desire to be clean.
    Do you have a potty around the house? Does he show an interest in it?

Yeah hes not verbal enough i'd say, the only time he trys to pull hes own pants down is when its bath time as he loves it...

He does show an interest in the potty, but only as a hat :lol:
    Thanks for the advice