Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Excuses for not drinking.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I have hardly drunk since Christmas. I found not drinking very easy, and want to continue.

I have been to the pub a number of times, and most of the time I have driven and I have had a perfectly good night without drinking.

My reason for stopping was a number of things, but mainly cos I didn't want to get drunk, but now after not drinking much for so long when I do have a beer I feel pretty pissed pretty quickly.

But I have a week long lads holiday coming up, and this may be a step too far. I can see myself buying 2 bottles and nursing them all night, putting up with questions about why I'm not drinking.

I can handle tipsy/semi-drunk friends, but after midnight or in clubs everyone gets that little bit more drunk and a whole week could get boring for me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was on medication for a while and couldn't drink because of that. Could you say something like that?

Now i can drink, but don't drink a lot, and yeah it does get annoying when people are always asking why. :rolleyes:
    I haven't drunk my entire adult life, and now I just say 'I don't drink' when people ask, but agree that you'll get all manner of questions/pressure if you say that. As ridiculous as I find you needing to justify yourself, lying is probably the easiest route.

Agree with purple - 'on medication' is pretty failsafe.
    Kaff wrote: »
    As ridiculous as I find you needing to justify yourself, lying is probably the easiest route.

:yes:

I sometimes even wonder if I should take the zero alcohol route - just because even saying "I don't drink" seems to be easier than having to constantly explain why yes I've had 2 drinks, but that I don't want anymore :rolleyes:
    It's others fault if they don't understand. Not yours. :no:
    Agree, medication is the easiest excuse.
    Sometimes people ask what medication you're on and what it's for though. Annoying people who don't mind their own business.
    just pick one, loads of meds say not to drink with them, just say something innocent like anti-fungal tablets for a toenail infection eg. Lamisil tablets, so you can't drink for 12 weeks as it's bad fro your liver to have both in your system at the same time.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Sometimes people ask what medication you're on and what it's for though. Annoying people who don't mind their own business.

is that their business? :chin:
    Randomgirl wrote: »

Something like 'it's for my arse problem/nipple rash/cervix itch' normally shuts the nosy ones up. That or 'mind your own beeswax, you nosy bastard'. :thumb:
    It's none of their business, but I'd rather tell them that I'm on medication, than them pestering me all night.
    Depending on which lads these guys are, you may just want to come clean with them. Were it my mates, fine, they might take the piss a bit, but we all do that anyway as guys. If they're your friends, it won't matter - you're still you. As you yourself have shown, you can have fun without drinking. No need to necessarily make excuses, just be honest.
    Kaff wrote: »
    Something like 'it's for my arse problem/nipple rash/cervix itch' normally shuts the nosy ones up. That or 'mind your own beeswax, you nosy bastard'. :thumb:

I told an annoying friend of a friend that my meds were anti-pyschotics, he was freaked out.
    A few of you already said medication. Alcohol reacts to antibiotics, so that's another med you could mention. Don't say Neurofen/ibuprofen though, cos alcohol doesn't react to that :p
    Alcohol might not 'interact' with ibuprofen but it's really not great for your liver to mix them, therefore it is still a valid excuse.
    Do you have a driving licence? Offering yourself as the "designated driver" will not only solve the problem of not drinking, but will probably earn you respect and a few new friends as well!

(If you haven't got a driving licence, you could always say that you are learning and may as well get used to being the designated driver sooner rather than later!)
    To be honest I still get grief around some people (who i dont consider as good mates) when I dont drink. Sometimes if ive had a busy day and a bit dehydrated, I dont feel like it.
    I can go on a night out and only have 2 or 3 drinks. I haven't had anyone pester me for a while about having another drink. I just don't feel like drinking much.
    "I don't want to" sounds okay to me. Don't get why peer pressure is fine with alcohol...
    I hardly drink at all these days and it's nice to see I'm not the only one I always feel pressured to drink by others when I go out and they think it's strange I don't wanna drink even to the point where I don't always get invited out

I'd just say be honest no need to think of an excuse the people that matter will understand and as for the people that don' t well they won't be the people that matter :)
    Just say you don't enjoy being drunk.
    You've been sloshed for the last 5 days and have a serious hangover.