Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stock cubes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im going to keep annoying all of you with my soupy questions

So i was going to ask a long list of questions about, should i make my own stock instead of buying, and what should i use to flavour it etc when making soup but i got to the end and realised that shop bought isnt really that bad (is it?). People are always chucking them into stews, or chilli, or whatever

Ive been reading up and basically learnt how to make stock out of basic veges and a bit of pepper but i wouldnt know at all how to give it more flavour and in the end thought, fuck it.

So, which brand of stock cubes is best? I started with oxo but noticed it had quite alot of salt in so which other brands are better? Maybe one day when im less lazy ill make my own

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For vege stock i use Marigold Swiss. It seems expensive, £2-£3 but you get a fairly large sized tub and you don't need to use much, BUT it's very salty.

For meat and chicken i just use Oxo. I rarely use salt in my cooking (coz i put way too much on my food) so it evens out for others.

Making stock. The holy trinity, carrot, onion and celery is a must. Bay leaf or two is good. Pepper. Don't use salt. You can always add it later when making your dish. Then chicken/turkey carcass from a roast or some bones from the butcher.
    So shop bought stock isnt that bad? I cant believe im actually a little bit guilty over this :blush:
    I use cubes.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    So shop bought stock isnt that bad? I cant believe im actually a little bit guilty over this :blush:

Nah, there are some pretty good stock cubes about if you look for 'em. Like RS says, you normally pay a bit of a premium for them, but they're nice.
    Stock cubes are fine. You can pay more for those bottles of concentrated liquid, but in all honesty isn't that just a bottle of runny Oxos made to look posh and you less guilty because the way bought stock is slagged off by TV's twatty chefs ? Even the lovely Saint Delia was slagging cubes off once the proceeded to use a tub of Marigold !

You can't beat homemade stock, but in all honesty i dont think it's worth the expense and time. If you have some bones, or a chicken carcass from sunday lunch then it's worth doing otherwise just go with cubes/liquid. Might e worth having a look at the different brands, see which contains the least salt.
    i use the kallo organic vegetable stock cubes when making soup. Theyre really good and arent full of msg like some of them