Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New Job, Cons and Pro's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've basically been asked for an interview for a new job, I applied in a whim as when I saw it was advertised I was pissed off with my job,

Since then I have calmed down some and would say I am happy with my job but not as happy as I could be,

I keep getting told I will be going up the ladder/put forward for things, moving dept to one which is suitable (IT) but none of this has happened,

I help out in the IT dept but it seems they're taking the piss, They're paying my basic salary for work I could get 50% more for on the outside, others are taking credit for my work, I mean I set up a whole IT network with internet monitoring and logging and the boss got the credit,

My main job is dead end, the only way to progress in my main job is to take my bosses position, and she isn't likely to leave any time soon, plus if she did, I do not feel my colleague who I work with would be comfortable with me becoming their boss, neither do I know if I would be.

The thing is, 90% of the time my job is a breeze, It is generally quiet and I am not at all that busy, I can get away with doing things I shouldn't be able to, Net/MSN/FB etc but it isn't going anywhere, plus the issue is Customers I am starting to resent them, only a few are horrible, but it really gets me down, quite often, the lovely ones I do feel happy knowing I have made them enjoy their stay, however I do receive some amazing benefits from it, Free Gym/Leisure membership for the family (worth about £900) discounts in restaurants etc, and they are generally a good employer.

The new job is more office based, Finance to be precise, The prerequisites for the job I fill perfectly, the systems they use and what it entails I could easily do, I've used/use most of the software and the one or two pieces I have not (without sounding big headed) I could pick up easily, it is a lot less customer orientated.

I've written a Pros and cons for each job, I know the decision is down to be, and me alone, I've asked for laura's input and she doesn't mind as the money differences aren't a lot, and she just wants me to be happy.

Old Job PRO
- Easy, Safe, I know I can do very well
- Free Leisure membership
- Tips on top of salary
- Discounts for functions, meals and massages etc
- I have a few, select friends there.
- I generally get on well with my employers bar a few odd management types
- possible movement up the chain, however has been at a stalemate
- Close to home

New Job PRO
- Slightly more money,
- New working environment
- Lack of customers to deal with
- Sounds relatively straight forward
- Sounds like a job better suited to me,
- No shift work, 9-5 Mon-Fri See family more

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old Job Con
- Shift work, sometimes only 7 hours between shifts,
- Dealing with problem/annoying/stuck up customers
- Feels like I am being taken advantage off in both current and future dept, doing extra work for no extra pay
- Few problem managers who can cause problems, stuck up etc
- Feels stagnant, I am not progressing as I would like.

New Job Con
- Further away (17 miles each way, 25-30min drive)
- Loss of Benefits, discounts from old job, membership to Gym/leisure, Restaurants, Treatments etc
- An Unknown change,
- A smaller company, Whilst the current company turns over millions and I know they're safe, the new one is smaller, however company house records that I have purchased indicate that they are doing well financially
- If it doesn't work out (which I doubt) It puts a risk on my family, who I must support

So there we have it, the biggest thing I think I am worried about is if it doesn't work out, which I do not believe will happen, I put the financial support of my family at risk. they rely on me. however I wondered this when I first started my current job and hell, that worked out well.

As I said, I know this is only down to what I wish to do and me alone, but I would love some peoples opinions on this.

I've decided one thing, I'll go for the interview, because at least then I get the experience, and if I get offered the job and turn it down, I get a little Ego boost.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oooh id go for the new job. Sounds like youd have much more scope to progress your career which would be better for your family long term
    oooh id go for the new job. Sounds like youd have much more scope to progress your career which would be better for your family long term

Thanks, however I am not 100% sure it would have better scope.

My current employer is large, 150 odd jobs, but I feel stuck, the new employer is a lot smaller, I do not know if there is room for progression, however I know it'll be a less customer orientated job which is what I am looking for.
    do it otherwise you will be thinking 'what if'.

i know there is a recession on but dont let it dictate what you want to do in life.
    Thanks, Still thinking but I am pretty sure I'd go for it,
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Thanks, however I am not 100% sure it would have better scope.

My current employer is large, 150 odd jobs, but I feel stuck, the new employer is a lot smaller, I do not know if there is room for progression, however I know it'll be a less customer orientated job which is what I am looking for.

Ask about room for progression at your interview it will show that you are keen. Sometimes working in a small company can go in your favour and if you do well you can be handed more responsibility - especially if they are growing.

Definitely go for the interview and do lots of prep before hand and make sure you have some good questions to ask - I find that i know when i walk into an office weather i want to work there or not - its more something about the feel of the place - so definitely go and see if its right for you.

If you get the job there is nothing to stop you seeing your friends from your old job socially - plus you will get more time with your family.

Also if you get on well with everyone you might be able to negotiate a discount on the leisure services when you leave - you don't know if you don't ask.

And GOOD LUCK
    I'd see how you feel after the interview - I think you'll be able to tell from that what to do. Though I'd go for the new job, from the sound of it.
    Do it - I think having a work timetable where you have clear time off would enable you to have some quality time with Lolz and the kids, which is what i think you all need right now.
    yeah shift work sucks with a family. Anythings got to be better than that
    No idea if this is the "done thing" but if you went for the interview, and then got the job... could you turn round to your current work and be like "I'm leaving unless you do x and y". Depends on how keen your current company would be to keep you, but they might be more likely to actually *do* something like sort out your shifts / move you over if you have another job offer on the table.
    Hmm.. could be a possibility, especially if they ask me to reconsider..
    if you stayed in your old job, but got a promotion would that be better than the one you're interviewing for?

my parents tell me that employers like seeing people who've worked at various different companies.

also, perhaps the change will keep your mind afresh??

good luck either way
    if you stayed in your old job, but got a promotion would that be better than the one you're interviewing for?

my parents tell me that employers like seeing people who've worked at various different companies.

also, perhaps the change will keep your mind afresh??

good luck either way

Hmm, hard one as if i got promoted at work, it would be into a new job, one created soley for me. So pay etc is unknown, its just the fact it hasnt happened... and in sick of waiting.
    17 miles is hardly any travelling, so not really a con.

I'd want a lot more money if you're losing out a lot in benefits. Otherwise you'll be getting the same / less money in the end.

Ultimately it depends on whether you want to change.

I'd say do the interview anyway. You might or might not get an offer.
    I've worked out I'd be earning about the same taking benefit into account giving then a value,

Also bearing in mind my current wage is the top for my job, this new job starts at this and goes up. In the end it'll work out more.
    You've done a really good job so far of weighing up the pro's and con's of the two jobs, which is the perfect starting point.

At the moment, I'd definitely say that it's worth pursuing the new job. You may or may not succeed at the interview, but at least you'll have given it your best shot so you'll have a pretty good idea what's out there and what your options could be.

Ditching the shift work could be a really good thing from a family point of view, although shift work can also have it's advantages. 9-5 means with commuting means you're always around first thing in the morning and then in the evening and at weekends, but never during the day, even as a one off because there's very little flexibility.

But shift work can have it's advantages for family life because it means some times you're around day time during the week so you get less of a divide between work and family.

(Personally I'd go for not shift work, because at least then you've got a fixed pattern, and you can take holiday if you want odd days at home.

It's good to consider the value of the benefits at your current job, but when you do that you need to consider not only the actual cost but also the real value to you. It's all well and good saying you get a discount on massages for example, but if you didn't have that discount would you actuallly spend money on them in the first place? If not, then it's not actaully worth much to you, and makes the higher salary even more attractive.

Lastly, don't forget to check the two through a take home pay calculator. If slightly more money pushes you over tax and NI thresholds for example then it may make naff all difference to your household income. Also don't forget to factor in travel costs.
    Thanks Scary,

Shift work can has it advantages, however I've realised the disadvantages out weight those, currently I am either on earlys, getting up at 4.30-5.00am etc or on lates which involve getting home at 23.00-23.30

And working a late, followed by an early is fucking killer, I seldom get to spend "quality" time with my wife as she is either knackered when I get home from a late shift, or I have to get up at 4.30/5.00am so I have to sleep early.

The shifts are good in the sense I either get a full morning, or full evening with the family, but a lot of this time is wasted due to me being so tired.

So I think a change from shift work is good.

Thanks for the hint with benefits, the only real ones we use is the leisure membership, seldom anyway and the restaurants for nice meals with laura, however I can go to over, cheaper places.

so the higher salary will be nicer,

Another.. slight difficulty is they are asking for the new job to commence on Jan 3rd, that's less than a months notice. now I am suppose to give 6weeks notice, I know legally I do not have to but I am not keen on screwing over my current employer (although they deserve it)

Ive done the pay calculator, there isn't much difference and tbh I earn so little that I do not go above any fresh holds, so all is well there cheers, I wont be earning mega more, but its the same as what I earn now, however at a starting wage with room to move up.
    IF you get to the point where they offer it to you, then you can deal with the notice period problem. If they want to give you the job, they can probably stretch it a couple more weeks and you may find you have leave to use up at the old place.
    IF you get to the point where they offer it to you, then you can deal with the notice period problem. If they want to give you the job, they can probably stretch it a couple more weeks and you may find you have leave to use up at the old place.

I have no leave, the new job starts on 3rd of jan, interview is next week after, unless they offer me to job straight away I'd still need to ask for around 4 weeks extra,

to be honest I'd rather blow off my old work.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Go for it.
    yeah, I think if I get offered it, I will accept.
    Definately. Thinking "what if?" will eat you up if you don't.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Hellfire,

I think your pros and cons list was a great idea to help you make the decision, and it sounds like you have now decided to go for the interview, when is it?

Sounds like you have made a good choice accepting the interview as it will give you a chance to look around your potential new workplace and meet a few of the people who already work there. Sometimes you can get a feeling for whether a job is right for you from the interview, and it gives you the opportunity to ask questions as Wyetry says.

Good luck with the interview :thumb: and if you need them here are some interview tips and a great video about body language at interviews.

Let us know how you get along :)
    LauraO
    it was about an hour ago, seemed happy, went very well intact, they started asking me when I could start etc, I told them I would start when they needed me. And if I was still interested,

Find out by the end of the week, two days, scared now.
    Really glad it went well Hellfire!
    I'll have my fingers crossed for you :thumb:
    well done
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :) Good luck!
    Well, got the phone call a few hours ago,

I have to say I am disappointed, I knew there was one thing going against me and that's when I told them how old I was, two out of the three interviewers took a kinda pause, and I knew it was something against me,

anyway I got told they loved my energy, passion etc however one other person applied who had a little more experience. they want to keep me on file for the future though.

At least I still have a job, but I am a bit sad about it, I thought I did very well, but, yeah, oh well.
    what, they wanted someone older or someone younger?

at least you gave it a shot, and you werent 100% that you wanted it anyway
    actually I had become to love the idea of the new job, especially after the interview with the in-depth discussion of what it involved,

From what I could make out they were looking for someone older, in my opinion anyway.
    Sorry to hear that Hellfire *hug* however sometimes these things do work out for the best. As Suzycreamcheese says at least you gave it a shot and did the best you could!

It sounds as though this process has made it clear to you that you want a new job and that along with the interview practice makes it worthwhile that you applied. So don't be deflated and do continue the job hunt :)

Good luck with it!

LauraO