Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sentence help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok this is really quick.... I'm home alone and have noone to ask. I feel a bit stupid asking this but whatever :p

This sentence "Yet, despite these extraordinary pressures, warfare has given rise to few fundamental medical discoveries. "

What exactly does the few mean here? Is it saying that yeah, there were a few medical discoveries and it was good... or is it saying despite everything, not much progress in terms of medicine was made?

:blush:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok this is really quick.... I'm home alone and have noone to ask. I feel a bit stupid asking this but whatever :p

This sentence "Yet, despite these extraordinary pressures, warfare has given rise to few fundamental medical discoveries. "

What exactly does the few mean here? Is it saying that yeah, there were a few medical discoveries and it was good... or is it saying despite everything, not much progress in terms of medicine was made?

:blush:

What's the sentence before?

Without context I'd say it was arguing the latter, ie in terms of medicine war didn't lead to much progress
    Wars produce injury and disease of a scale unmatched in times of peace. There is, therefore, an enormous burden on the medical services to restore and maintain the health of all casualties. Yet, despite these extraordinary pressures, warfare has given rise to few fundamental medical discoveries. However, during wartime there has often been accelerated application of existing knowledge. Resulting changes, of immediate benefit to the troops, have ultimately been adopted for civilian needs.

:chin:
    It saying that despite the pressures to maintain good medical health during war times, there hasnt been alot of good or important medical discoveries
    :chin:

I'm sticking with my original answer. It's saying that given the pressures that war produces on medicine that it should be responsible for medical discoveries, however that hasn't happened in reality
    Coool thanks guys.