Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doctor's Appointments and Work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm about the start seeing a doctor regularly for appointments once a week, for around 10-16 weeks. I've arrange the appointments to be early morning, so I'll only have an hour off from work, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had a situation like this before and how employers view it? Will I have to explain to my boss what it's for? As with one off doctors appointments you can usually get away with not mentioning the reason, out of privacy. I work in an office, and I will offer to make the missed hour up by perhaps staying later another day in the week. I'm just slightly worried because its for mental health problems, and it may worry my employer as we've only recently had another member off staff off on long term sick leave for the same problem. I've been battling it for years though, and it really doesn't affect my work at all. Anyone else been in a similar situation, or know if there's some kinda policy on this kinda thing?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know but it might be covered by the disability discrimination act...
  • Options
    Completely different background, but same effect on the office. Several of the Scout leaders I know leave work a little bit early one day a week, and make up the time over the rest of the week, so it's pretty common for a wide range of reasons.

If you've got one member of staff off on long term sick that might actually go massively in your favour because it should mean your employer is bending over backwards to prevent any more problems, thus be super co operative to your arrangements.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi innocent_kate :wave:

It's good to hear that you will be seeing a doctor every week and it's completely up to you whether you choose to disclose details about your mental health to your employer or not.

This is a really useful fact sheet about Mental Health at Work which will explain some of the legal stuff.

This Citizen's Advice Bureau Guide is also really useful as it explains that employers are not legally required to give you time off for doctors appointments, but that you might want to check your contract before approaching them.

Above all it's worth mentioning that any information you disclose to your employer about your mental health is confidential. It might be beneficial to talk to your manager so they can be as supportive as possible, but if you feel you can't do this then perhaps approach them and explain that you need to attend the doctors appointments and make an agreement with them about how you can make up the hours. You may like to weigh up the risks and benefits of telling your employer and this fact sheet might help.

Someone has also asked a similar question on TheSite which you can see here, it might be of use.

Hope that helps,
    LauraO
  • Options
    I'm about the start seeing a doctor regularly for appointments once a week, for around 10-16 weeks. I've arrange the appointments to be early morning, so I'll only have an hour off from work, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had a situation like this before and how employers view it? Will I have to explain to my boss what it's for? As with one off doctors appointments you can usually get away with not mentioning the reason, out of privacy. I work in an office, and I will offer to make the missed hour up by perhaps staying later another day in the week. I'm just slightly worried because its for mental health problems, and it may worry my employer as we've only recently had another member off staff off on long term sick leave for the same problem. I've been battling it for years though, and it really doesn't affect my work at all. Anyone else been in a similar situation, or know if there's some kinda policy on this kinda thing?

I had to go to the doctors every 2 weeks. I got the impression that work was annoyed but I couldn't do anything about it. They seemed to get used to the fact that I had/have something wrong with my legs.

I wouldn't worry about it Kate.
  • Options
    My work are cool with me taking time off everyweek for Dr. :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks for the response guys :) I read the official stuff and it made me kinda nervous because I didn't realise employers didn't legally have to give you time off for the doctors, but from what everyone says it seemed most employers are fairly flexible.

I made the decision to go for it and ask, because I think the doctor's appointments may be really beneficial. I actually ended up crying because it's quite an upsetting problem and everything, which was all rather embarrassing! But she said it was fine, and seemed more concerned about how I was than the impact on work.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    That's great news innocent_kate. It sounds like it was difficult for you to ask, so well done *hug* it was definitely worthwhile as it sounds like the appointments will help, and I am really pleased that your employer was so understanding.

Keep us updated with how you get on :)

Laura