Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

China council endorses 'harsh penalties' in deadly coal mine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Good to see China taking action against companies that don't take care of their workers.
(CNN) -- China's State Council has "approved imposing harsh penalties" for 40 people held responsible for a coal mine disaster that killed more than 100 miners, according to the state-run Xinhua news agency.

The state council -- similar to the U.S. Cabinet -- includes the head of each governmental department and the premier, and is China's chief civilian administrative body.

Twelve people -- including the mine's director -- are facing criminal punishment, according to Xinhua. An additional 28 are to receive "disciplinary and administrative punishments." The chairman of the state-owned mine's holding group was also removed, Xinhua said.

The explosion occurred at the Xinxing mine in northeastern Heilongjiang province in November 2009. According to state-run media, the cause of the blast was a gas leak combined with poor ventilation. It killed 104 miners, according to reports.

The Chinese government is attempting to improve mine safety, as mine accidents are common in China, resulting in 2,631 deaths in 2009, according to Xinhua.

Read more: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/12/01/china.mine.punishment/index.html

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it more in the interests of killing people who make the country look bad in the foreign press than looking after its workers to be honest :(
    China is also repressing and killing the uyghur people.
    China is always imposing harsh penalties.