Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Christmas Present Problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it too early to start mentioning Christmas? :p I could leave it and post this thread tomorrow so at least it's December, but ahh sod it!

I've started thinking about Christmas pressies for my boyfriend, but am having some difficulty. In general I've found it quite hard to get over that he's had several long term relationships before me; he's pretty much always been in a relationship for the past...8 years, and we're only in our early 20s! I know the problem's mine, it's not like he's done anything wrong, and I am working on it. But because of this I'm struggling for Christmas present ideas! All the usuals - watches, wallets etc. he's got because an ex-girlfriend bought them for him, and this is also the case with more specific things that are related to his hobbies.

As a sort of poll of opinion, could I buy him something his ex has bought him before, or something similar? Just a newer/nicer version. Or, is this creating a bit of problem because he's then gotta choose which he prefers. Or, I guess I'm a bit on the insecure side, so I'd think he probs has some sentimental attachment to the watch/wallet/clothes his ex got him so won't want to them replace.

He's a fairly simple lad, and having always had a girlfriend it means he's entirely kitted out and impossible to buy for! Just wondered what everyone thought, or am I whaaay over thinking this...which I do have a tendency to do :blush:

Comments

• Options
    How about a (dirty) weekend away? It'll be unique to you and im sure he wont forget it.
  • Options
    Failing that how about some socks?
  • Options
    there are other things besides clothes/watch/wallet :P

but if you find the perfect gift, dont let these concern worry you. if you bought him a tshirt (let's assume he has far too many tshirts) then i am sure he would cherish it because it's from you. it will forever be the tshirt that you got him. sod everything else x
  • Options
    My first christmas with my ex we had barely been going out a month so I had no idea what to get him. I ended up buying a christmas stocking, going down to one of these jadget/ joke shops, like this one, and buying a heap of crap little stocking filler things. He loved it, because it was fun. Be imaginative, you dont have to stick with clothes, aftershave etc. If you cant think of anything else, GoodFella's weekend idea would surely be a hit.
  • Options
    Do you have to give a romantic or sexy gift? I've found that a lot of men just like practical gifts. Ask for a gift list and choose something off there. It might not be some crazy romantic shit, but he'll get what he wants. And top it off with a bj of course or something :p
  • Options
    sphereing experience day?

http://www.buyagift.co.uk/Category/Id/1051/Name/Sphereing?cm_mmc=google-_-Adrenaline|Sphereing%20Broad%20%26%20Phrase-_-sphereing%20experience-_-Phrase&gclid=CP7YitnayaUCFYIe4QodPzmn_Q
  • Options
    I have the same problem - my boyf comes from quite a wealthy family, and so anything he wants, he can just buy. For his birthday I got him tickets to a show, 70 packets of jelly (for a jelly bath) and a platypus t-shirt. All of these things meant something to him (bathing in jelly was his teenage fantasy and platypus is his favourite animal). I think it worked because it was stuff relevant to him.

For christmas I decided to be a bit more practical and bought him the simon's cat books and a Cross pen set so he can at least pretend to be a grown up.

I say try to get presents around a theme that is relevant to you - all the stuff I buy him is because we joke around about cats or platypuses, jelly etc. Better than a generic wallet.
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    I have the same problem - my boyf comes from quite a wealthy family, and so anything he wants, he can just buy. For his birthday I got him tickets to a show, 70 packets of jelly (for a jelly bath) and a platypus t-shirt. All of these things meant something to him (bathing in jelly was his teenage fantasy and platypus is his favourite animal). I think it worked because it was stuff relevant to him.

For christmas I decided to be a bit more practical and bought him the simon's cat books and a Cross pen set so he can at least pretend to be a grown up.

I say try to get presents around a theme that is relevant to you - all the stuff I buy him is because we joke around about cats or platypuses, jelly etc. Better than a generic wallet.

Yeh, i agree with this- also maybe something personal like a collage of photos of you together (or just one in a nice frame) and jokey stuff is always good :D