Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Comfy shoes for work??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
last week i started a new job where im on my feet all day, for almost 9 hours and i hugely underestimated the toll it would take on my feet. my feet are pretty soft anyway as i have trouble walking in high heels for very long and mostly always wear trainers. i bought a pair of what i thought were comfy shoes from clarks - http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/keyword-is-indigo+bar/product-is-20334259

but after literally 10 minutes of wear they were rubbing my heels raw. since then ive been wearing a pair of ankle boots (the only suitable black shoes i had) which are flat, without much in the way of padding and support and as a result my feet are absolutely aching at the end of my shift, so much so that i cant sleep at night as im in so much pain. im gonna give the shoes i bought another go with loads of plasters on my heels but can anyone recommend me shoes theyve found comfy in similar situations?

Comments

• Options
    I spent all day on my feet and moving people etc but still have to wear black smart-ish shoes. I ended up getting some in Marks and Spencers. I normally wouldn't bother going in there because I don't like it, but I didn't have much choice because I'd been most other places with no hope before hand. They have soft leather shoes for about £25-30.
  • Options
    Was it just the heels of the first pair? If it is, then stand on the heels for a bit until they soften and they should be ok. You want to look for something which has a lot of arch support so that your weight is more evenly distributed, instead of just being on your heels and the ball of your foot (which were always my problem areas).

I had the same problem when I was working at McDs, especially after they banned ballet-style shoes (which mine were, but smart and practical ones with nice foot support and they were so comfy) and I had to buy some new ones which wrecked my feet and meant I could barely walk at the end of the day.

You do also get used to the pain, I promise. If you can't find any other good shoes while your feet adjust, then get some foot soak and stick them in a nice hot bowl of water when you get in. Works a treat.
  • Options
    Do you have Dr. Scholls there? They have a ton of shoe insoles, whether it for aching feet, knees, back, extra arch support... just tons. http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?method=doProductLookup&searchArg=11&searchArg=1&searchArg=2&searchArg=3&searchArg=9&searchArg=10&searchArg=14&productHead=Insoles/Inserts&sortCat=7 I've heard lots of good things about several different ones and I have the sport one in my every day sneakers as I have high arches and walk like an elephant and it makes a world of difference.
  • Options
    Like Franki said, which bits on the new shoes are rubbing? If it's one of the edges then you should be able to soften that up and then may be alright. They were the kind of things I was going to suggest.

If you're on your feet all day then it's definitely worth sticking with reasonably good quality shoes as they will have a decent foot bed which makes a massive difference.

Another one to try while you're wearing new shoes in is nice thick socks.
  • Options
    yeah im gonna stick with my clarks shoes as they are much better quality and provide some support and padding. they've been rubbing my heels cos the backs of the shoes, though soft, are quite high. so i used plasters today and it wasnt that bad, think itll get better with time. hopefully. myname, some of the insoles and things on that site looked fab, and im sure we have them in the UK. only thing is (daft question maybe :/) is you buy a supportive/comfortable insole, does that not mean your shoes wont fit you anymore? i always thought you only bought insoles if your shoes were too big for you??
  • Options
    paperdoll wrote: »
    yeah im gonna stick with my clarks shoes as they are much better quality and provide some support and padding. they've been rubbing my heels cos the backs of the shoes, though soft, are quite high. so i used plasters today and it wasnt that bad, think itll get better with time. hopefully. myname, some of the insoles and things on that site looked fab, and im sure we have them in the UK. only thing is (daft question maybe :/) is you buy a supportive/comfortable insole, does that not mean your shoes wont fit you anymore? i always thought you only bought insoles if your shoes were too big for you??

Maybe? I'm sure there are some like that but alot are for comfort, support or pain relief. Most shoes original insoles are attached by just a little glue on the heel and toe so they can be torn out and replaced very easily so the shoes should fit the same.
  • Options
    the dr scholl ones have removeable insoles, i got the boy some and i just throw them in the wash from time to time :p

Also why not try foot gloves from M&S, when i was pregnant i had no swelling until i flew and then my normal shoes we soooo painful...footgloves werent though ;)
  • Options
    I find wider fit shoes are quite comfy.
  • Options
    I have these... DCs :heart:

love them, so comfy!
  • Options
    only thing is (daft question maybe :/) is you buy a supportive/comfortable insole, does that not mean your shoes wont fit you anymore? i always thought you only bought insoles if your shoes were too big for you??

There are different sorts you could try. There are the flat ones that people normally get when the shoes are a bit big or slip on the heel and that's why they are rubbing. The other sort are like orthotics, that support the arch and your foot into the 'correct' position. These can hurt for a little while whilst your foot gets used to being corrected, but can help in the long term with pain in the feet, ankles, knees, back etc.
  • Options
    thanks all, for your help. smartie, i used to love DCs, youre right, they're well comfy! but i need to wear smart shoes for work. myname, i checked out some stuff on that drscholl website and have ordered some nice comfy insoles. feel like a right auld granny but it needs to be done lol.
  • Options
    Try DUO

Hi, i get all my work shoes from a company called DUO. They do womens shoes in different width which for me really makes a difference in terms of comfert when you have them on all day. They have a site, www.duoboots.com. Might be worth a look :)
  • Options
    thanks all, for your help. smartie, i used to love DCs, youre right, they're well comfy! but i need to wear smart shoes for work.

True :) I understand, i have such a hard time looking for shoes!
  • Options
    Good advice, i agree.
  • Options
    yeah im gonna stick with my clarks shoes as they are much better quality and provide some support and padding. they've been rubbing my heels cos the backs of the shoes, though soft, are quite high. so i used plasters today and it wasnt that bad, think itll get better with time.

Compeed are amazing for blisters. I often put them on before the blister has even developed as protection when have new shoes that might rub - but they also do really well on sore patches - and stay stuck too.

:)
This discussion has been closed.