Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help with Acoustic gig

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First off, sorry if its the wrong place, feel free to move it mods

So for awhile now I've wanted to put on an acoustic gig, never really had the motivation to do it but 2 years ago a friend of mine died from a tumor in his throat! Both me and him loved music and his parents have since set up a charity in his memory supporting musical activities in the local area for us. I have so much respect for them doing this as the music scene has improved so much because of this, they mostly help finance groups for young people who want to start playing instruments or singing like choirs and orchestras.

I've wanted to put an acoustic gig for awhile now and I want to do it supporting this chatiry and I will talk it through with the parents to make sure they're okay with it. Theres alot of decent acoustic acts that play around me but I don't particularly want to do any old gig, I want it to be special, today I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW3Zl8y4eQ8&feature=player_embedded#!
I want to do something similar, an outside gig, it would be brilliant and I think that George (my friend) would be proud of something like this, the problem is finding somewhere to do it, I would need a field or a largish clearing somewhere but I'm not entirely sure on how I would go about getting permission for it, does anyone have any experience in this sort of thing?

As for publicity I would of course have a facebook page but I would be selling tickets and have a secret location given out probably 2 or 3 days before the actually event to stop people gate crashing and overcrowding (this is just an Idea at the moment for tickets as if I didn't sell enough it would fail as no-one would buy tickets are the front as it were), I know alot of the acts around my area or know how to get in touch with them so booking acts would be no-problem, I'm just really looking for the dos and don't really

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Curly_boy,

Good thread and I think I'll move it to volunteering and activism as it's about raising money for a good cause. :)

This is something that's of big interest to me too as a friend and I are considering something similar.

In terms of an outside venue, I'd say contacting your local council may be best bet for finding out about spaces that you could use with permission and the right provision.

I've also come across this article which I think is actually from an American website, but seems to have lots of great tips - http://www.dosomething.org/actnow/actionguide/how-organize-a-benefit-concert

I'll keep a look out for other tips and ideas.

Are you doing this with friends? It might be good to get a small team of you together so you can delegate various tasks?

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thanks helen, I've got one mate helping out so its split between 2 right now, its definitly going to be in the summer though, not so cold then