Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quoting several lines of script in essay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I want to put this portion of dialogue in my essay

Policeman: Who did you say it was?
Woman: Mr. Crewe
Policeman: Mr. Who?
Woman: No, Mr. Crewe, I tell you. It's horrible.
Policeman: All right, don't you worry. I'll send someone around right away. What number did you say—seven or eleven?
Woman: Thirty-one.

But i have no idea how to set it out. Where do i put quotation marks? Do i put it indented in the text?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    when i did my dissertation i had a conversation bit and i had to indent it and have it basicailly how you've wrote it there

it was like:

Paragraph leading to quote...

“Crawling by your feet…is a bread and butter fly”
    “And what does it live on?”
    “Weak cream with tea in it”
    “Supposing it couldn’t find any?”
    “Then it would die, of course”
    “But that must happen often”
    “It always happens.”

another paragraph about it.
  • Options
    From my vague recollection, we had to indent the quote.
  • Options
    adamscott0719adamscott0719 Posts: 4 Newbie
    I think the punctuation marks in this case also depend on the context of the essay
  • Options
    La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    edited November 2021
    This is a great question, I also struggled with this as well!!
    Typically the format we used for large quotes was this:

Paragraph one (leading to the reference)

then the reference: Policeman: Who did you say it was?
    Woman: Mr. Crewe
    Policeman: Mr. Who?
    Woman: No, Mr. Crewe, I tell you. It's horrible.
    Policeman: All right, don't you worry. I'll send someone around right away. What number did you say—seven or eleven?
    Woman: Thirty-one.

(write source name here, date)

Paragraph that links back to and explains the reference.

Usually the long reference will be written in a smaller font than the main body of the text. I hope this helps. If you clearly reference your source, you may not have to use any quotation marks. Indenting the text also helps.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    You are both so lovely to respond to this thread to give advice @adamscott0719 and @La_La !! It's always so wonderful to see people being so open to help others on here, across a range of issues. Just wanted to quickly say, that because this thread is rather old now, we tend to avoid replying to them, as usually they either 1) aren't relevant to the person anymore 2) or it hurts to be reminded of the thread (this is more common for emotional threads, which this one isn't!). Of course we can all benefit from knowing how to format stuff like this, so thank you for replying, but when clicking on a thread always try to be mindful of when the original post was written and how recent replies to it are <3<3<3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
This discussion has been closed.