Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Travelling to America, Visa Waiver question and passport.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Okay so I am planning to go to America in March, 22nd ish. so got some time.

I've never been there so I need to clarify,

I believe as I am only going for a week, I can use a Visa Waiver, is that correct? aka no need for a Visa or need to apply for one? How do I go about that or which is the best way to do that? thanks

Also,

I will phone the passport office in the morning but I had a passport when I was 13 or so, it's expire and lost now, also my address and name has changed since them, will it be hard to get a passport or quite easy?

Obviously will speak to them when their offices are open.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've no idea about your passport but as for visas and stuff, the old visa waiver form has now been replaced with the ESTA which you apply for online. I did mine a couple of weeks ago as I am going to the States in mid-Jan. It costs $14 and is valid for multiple entries over a two year period I think. Hope this helps :)
    I've no idea about your passport but as for visas and stuff, the old visa waiver form has now been replaced with the ESTA which you apply for online. I did mine a couple of weeks ago as I am going to the States in mid-Jan. It costs $14 and is valid for multiple entries over a two year period I think. Hope this helps :)

Thanks Marina,

I need to wait for my passport to arrive before I can request it but I do not think I'll be denied, lol.

Next question, how long should I leave for connecting flights if it is with the same airline? is 2hours enough? or longer? if it is a connecting flight do I have to go out and then back through security?
    If you're getting connecting flights then usually you book them through in one go, that way the airline work out how much connection time you need. Also if you do it that way and the first flight is late, then the airline have to sort you out an onward flight.
    oh yeah, I am booking it in one go, but some of the flights are coming up with as little as 30minutes between flights, I think 2 hours is enough but I am booking in one go,

Also looking for direct flights too.
    Some are actually the same plane, just lands to offload and refuel, in which case 30 mins may be fine.
    Some are actually the same plane, just lands to offload and refuel, in which case 30 mins may be fine.

Ahhh sweet as :)

Still trying to find the best deals, so many agents out there I am unsure off, I am also trying to find a stop over in America rather than Amsterdam and CDG (Paris)

:) Keep searching, but thank you :)
    Where are you going to?

If you book through the airline then its up to the airline to offer you a flight for which there is sufficient transfer time - but in my experience even 2 hours probably wont' be long enough as when entering the US you have to clear passport control collect your baggage take it through customs then re check it again and go back through security to get on your flight - just the initial passport controll can take 2 hours before you've assed around with your luggage etc.

It really is a million times easier to change in europe if you can - your luggge goes straigt through and you don't need to clear passport control - just go to the next gate at the airport.
    wrong thread
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Where are you going to?

If you book through the airline then its up to the airline to offer you a flight for which there is sufficient transfer time - but in my experience even 2 hours probably wont' be long enough as when entering the US you have to clear passport control collect your baggage take it through customs then re check it again and go back through security to get on your flight - just the initial passport controll can take 2 hours before you've assed around with your luggage etc.

It really is a million times easier to change in europe if you can - your luggge goes straigt through and you don't need to clear passport control - just go to the next gate at the airport.

I'm flying to seattle, I am looking for direct flights from Glasgow, or with B-A/Virgin which change in london which isn't too bad as it is the same country.

I just need to keep researching but thank you so much Wyetry, I've never flown abroad before :) I think a europe change over or even london will be better :)
    Hmmm also, medical insurance, need to look into that, and travel insurance too.. Ekk forgot about that :O.

Ahhh not bad, Around £17 (lowest excess) £9 for higher excess for medical, cancellation and baggage :)
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I'm flying to seattle, I am looking for direct flights from Glasgow, or with B-A/Virgin which change in london which isn't too bad as it is the same country.

I just need to keep researching but thank you so much Wyetry, I've never flown abroad before :) I think a europe change over or even london will be better :)

Ohh though if its to the west coast sometimes its nicer to break your journey and not have to stand in a long que in immigration at the end when your realllly knackered - if you go on north west via minneappolis the change is quite easy as its a pretty small airport
    Ohh though if its to the west coast sometimes its nicer to break your journey and not have to stand in a long que in immigration at the end when your realllly knackered - if you go on north west via minneappolis the change is quite easy as its a pretty small airport

oh great, will look into that thanks :D getting exited now, except B-A flights have gone from £300 each way this morning to £800plus...
    search online for a voucher code - you will probably fine that you can get them a bit cheaper that way - or wait it out they will probably go down again closer to the time - plus BA have north american sales quite a lot of the time.
    search online for a voucher code - you will probably fine that you can get them a bit cheaper that way - or wait it out they will probably go down again closer to the time - plus BA have north american sales quite a lot of the time.

yeah they dropped down to 300 again the next day, funny thats

just waiting to book my tickets now.
    Hi, I know this thread is kinda old but I've only just seen it. I flew to america this summer and you have to fill in an ESTA online, which can be done here https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_cDB765E95-3D4C-5915-5620-9FA26BB3957A_k27CBA8A7-9407-CD8D-A862-3CEF63E99F9A But then you still fill in the usual form on the plane, so I have no idea why you have to do the online thing but aparrantly the system isn't completely effective yet - whatever that means. I just did it to be safe and it takes 2 minutes. And when I landed I was off the plane and outside in about half an hour, the longest part was waiting for my bags. Just depends how efficient they are at managing the ques.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Hmmm also, medical insurance, need to look into that, and travel insurance too.. Ekk forgot about that :O.

Ahhh not bad, Around £17 (lowest excess) £9 for higher excess for medical, cancellation and baggage :)

Yeah I'd definitely suggest having travel insurance that includes medical when you're going through the States! Check out if you need help or more info - found mine on there last trip. Hope that helps mate :thumb:
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Hi, I know this thread is kinda old but I've only just seen it. I flew to america this summer and you have to fill in an ESTA online, which can be done here https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_cDB765E95-3D4C-5915-5620-9FA26BB3957A_k27CBA8A7-9407-CD8D-A862-3CEF63E99F9A But then you still fill in the usual form on the plane, so I have no idea why you have to do the online thing but aparrantly the system isn't completely effective yet - whatever that means. I just did it to be safe and it takes 2 minutes. And when I landed I was off the plane and outside in about half an hour, the longest part was waiting for my bags. Just depends how efficient they are at managing the ques.

When i went to tampa last month we didn't have to fill in anything as long as we had our ESTA print out - it was all pretty smooth but the immigration ques were very long - they only had 3 desks open for the whole plane - but thankfully having a potentially screaming baby helped us get fast tracked to the front of the que - as noone wants a screaming one.
This discussion has been closed.